Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677323 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3375 on: October 21, 2016, 06:45:19 pm »

Yeah. I did grab an FTL probe mod. Made by the same guy IIRC. Once I get them researched, I'll see if they work. From what I could gather it's a scientist free survery vessel. If a bit slow. If it works, I'll put a link here :P

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: October 22, 2016, 06:24:32 pm »

Double post! But doing so because I believe I'll be keeping Pre-FTL players for normal play. It's pretty fun for the first few decades. Mainly because asymettry. I abandoned the first game because I modified the player size a bit too high. Running with 10 civs instead of fifteen. Maybe it'll get better later. Took out the IBSB Living Systems mod for the time being. Bit too lag inducing even on low density. Am liking civilian trade, though I've yet to actually use the civilian trade part of it :P

In other words, Alternate Universe Tchaaskerans might be Bajor'd :c

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: October 22, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

You don't get enough leaders for more than one science vessel in most cases. It sucks. You'd think that regular science vessels would be capable of scanning for resources on their own, while scientists would be needed for anomalies and contributing to research.
Are governors that mandatory? I haven't been using them much because I assumed they took forever to level unless their colony is freshly building everything, and their low-level benefits feel pretty minor.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: October 22, 2016, 07:27:48 pm »

Pre-spaceflight civs seem hugely more common now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: October 22, 2016, 07:53:41 pm »

Governors are more important for sectors it seems--which in turn are extremely important for the development of your empire.

Current game, I'm one of the 3 leading space empires, and I effectively am preventing the equivalent of space europe from imploding--warfare just seems so hit and miss I'm afraid to ignite the other empires... unfortunately my archrival invades empires on the other side of the galaxy with impunity. I'm not really sure what to do. Suggestions?

Also, ship design seems to so tedious... When does it become beneficial to design the ships personally???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: October 22, 2016, 08:22:47 pm »

When you enjoy it.

If you don't like ship design in and of itself, nothing it going to make you like it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: October 22, 2016, 08:28:34 pm »

I love ship design... It's just... They become irrelevant so quickly.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: October 22, 2016, 08:37:38 pm »

Ah, that. It helps to keep in mind that real military R&D tends to be about ten or twenty years ahead of what's standard in the field, and old material might stay in service for a century or more in some form. Don't stress about not having your ships perfectly up to date with all of your tech, you'll just end up spending loads of resources on refits which will mostly never see combat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: October 22, 2016, 08:50:29 pm »

Just keep in mind that once your fleets start breaking the 5k power level, upgrading takes time. Sometimes, a lot. Plan accordingly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: October 23, 2016, 04:39:17 am »

I made a game with all the Human faction of Alpha Centauri, myself playing as the Morganites (Pacifist, Materialist, Individualist, Plutocratic Oligarchy government and Thrifty trait). I'm still at the strat of the game and I've already lost 2 science ship and I didn't make contact with anyone... On the plus side, one of the colonizable planet near my homeworld has 3 Betharian Stone tiles. With a power hub plus my 30% energy bonus (5 from Ind., 5 from Gov., 15 from Thirty and 5 from an event) it'll be insane when the power plants go online. It's just too bad that not enough energy is rarely a problem and that I can't throw my credits at the enemy to buy their troops.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: October 23, 2016, 07:07:54 am »

If you find merchant stations, you can trade energy to minerals and vice-versa. The Enclaves also take energy for research bonus. Terraforming has been revamp to take massive amounts of energy now, like 2000 for similar biomes and 5000 for everything else. I also see and option to terraform into a gaia world but that probably needs some hard to get tech.

You can technically buy off your foes by giving them a few energy monthly to build up trust and cause them to not hate your guts for existing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:30 am »

You don't get enough leaders for more than one science vessel in most cases. It sucks. You'd think that regular science vessels would be capable of scanning for resources on their own, while scientists would be needed for anomalies and contributing to research.
Are governors that mandatory? I haven't been using them much because I assumed they took forever to level unless their colony is freshly building everything, and their low-level benefits feel pretty minor.
Governors are more important for sectors it seems--which in turn are extremely important for the development of your empire.

Strangely, my sector governors don't seem keen on building that much, even though I gave them thousands upon thousands of minerals and credits and set them to focus on research or whatever. They just sit on the pile like a grand throne of imperialism and blow spit bubbles. I looked up the issue, but all the reports of idle sectors are from the earlier half of this year.

The AI in general is starting to cycle between incredibly dumb+passive and unstoppable, mostly based on difficulty settings. Normal difficulty is a cakewalk but hard makes almost every AI hyper-expand, way faster than I can ever manage, and start trying to vassalize me/cede my planets. Even then, they declare war on me and then stay in orbit of their own planets until I send my own ships into their space - then they'll try to repel, at least. Everything in this new patch is almost unreal.

E: Sector governors seem to be using their minerals after all, but it's ~30 minerals a month in a sector with five poorly-developed planets and a surplus of resources.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:48:08 am by Jacob/Lee »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: October 23, 2016, 10:17:31 am »

is redevelopment on or off? I think that and respect tile resources mess with the AI logic.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: October 23, 2016, 10:41:00 am »

They were both on. I shut off "respect tile resources" to see what the governor does. He does seem to be building on every world, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3389 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:46 am »

Here's an alternative to the governor system:

>Governor AI is removed. Sectors remain.
>Buildings and structures can be scheduled without expending resources.
>Sectors draw from their private resource banks to complete schedules, pausing construction if needed.
>Buildings auto-upgrade using sector resources.

Now you can design the entire planet's eventual destiny as soon as it's colonized and you don't need to come back except to make significant changes.

Or, Paradox could design decent AI, but let's be serious here.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 632