Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677277 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4335 on: March 02, 2017, 10:23:40 pm »

New Dev Diary, covering Synthetic and Biological Ascension Paths as promised.

Spoiler: Text, No Pictures (click to show/hide)

Notably:
With Advanced Genemodding you will be able to add negative traits and remove positive traits, allowing you to completely reshape species at your whim.
Kind of pissed this is paywalled.

It also unlocks five new traits that are exclusively available to the Biological Ascension Path:
Robust: Upgrades from Extremely Adaptable, adds +30% habitability and an extra +30 years of lifespan.
Fertile: Upgrades from Rapid Breeders, gives -30% growth time and +5% happiness
Erudite: Upgrades from Intelligent, gives +20% science production and +1 leader skill levels.
Delicious: Makes the species delicious and nutritious, granting +100% food yield from Processing and Livestock.
Nerve Stapled: Removes the ability of the species to feel happiness or sadness. Happiness is disabled and Food/Mineral production increased, but adds major penalties to other resource production.
I could do without the "Even better!" traits, but paywalling the ability to further denigrate my slaves makes me grumble. Then again, it's probably trivial to mod.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: March 02, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »

I really like that you'll be able to enslave aliens and modify them to make them a better and tastier source of food. Imagining aliens doing this to humans is terrifying but then again we do it to just about all of our livestock already.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:48 pm »

Kinda boring compared to the shroud, a bit sad.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: March 02, 2017, 11:44:15 pm »

Now that I think about it, Nerve Stapled should result in emotionless drones who produce more/better quality meat than those marinating in despair.

This is, of course, completely backwards.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: March 03, 2017, 01:20:21 am »

it's kind of funny how the meme is that SADNESS AND DESPAIR = good meat when in reality, animals that tense up, are stressed, or otherwise In A Bad Way tend to make really shitty meat.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4340 on: March 03, 2017, 06:25:47 am »

I just like that nerve stapled + tasty mods = livestock slaves with zero unrest. You could further mess them up by making them stupid and fast breeders.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:57 pm »

It's going to be My Little Mermaid Farm all over again.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »

it's kind of funny how the meme is that SADNESS AND DESPAIR = good meat when in reality, animals that tense up, are stressed, or otherwise In A Bad Way tend to make really shitty meat.
Yeah, but it fits the pattern better. Intelligent food is going to be logistically horrible for meat anyway, so it gives you more of an excuse if causing them suffering helps you somehow. And it helps push you as the bad guys over potentially competent people aware of their condition but unable to break free of it.

Pampered food isn't a super rare thing either, I don't think, but it tends to show up more in the "Wow this place is a parad- OHGODWHAT" type stories, where the people are kind of oblivious that there's a problem so it's up to a determined outsider to ruin everything.

Nerve stapled+tasty+fertile, at that. Hyper speed farming/mining livestock.
Throw in Charismatic to make them pleasant to be around before AND during dinner!

And to horrify visiting aliens. Nobody cares when you eat ugly people.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: March 03, 2017, 05:24:57 pm »

What's the actual benefit to eating sapients anyway, besides horrifying other civilizations?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: March 03, 2017, 05:44:48 pm »

What's the actual benefit to eating sapients anyway, besides horrifying other civilizations?
Food. Lots of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4345 on: March 03, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »

Basically it's an efficient food source with minimal upkeep, but the pops don't produce any other resources.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: March 03, 2017, 09:07:48 pm »

Game mechanics don't let you make a planet of non-sentient livestock. Because somehow farms aren't the same thing.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: March 03, 2017, 09:22:39 pm »

Game mechanics don't let you make a planet of non-sentient livestock. Because somehow farms aren't the same thing.
i think you can either process all immediately for a lot of food or keep them around as the equivalent of a farm.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: March 03, 2017, 11:58:02 pm »

i think you can either process all immediately for a lot of food or keep them around as the equivalent of a farm.
It's not the equivalent of a farm. Farms are buildings. And you can put this pop on a farm building – and will want to, as food is the only thing they can produce.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: March 04, 2017, 12:17:02 am »

It's not the equivalent of a farm. Farms are buildings. And you can put this pop on a farm building – and will want to, as food is the only thing they can produce.
So basically they're food that grows more food and can maintain itself and other livestock species with minimum outside influence.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 632