Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859315 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #10590 on: November 26, 2022, 03:08:26 pm »

Oh wow, if you tag the dog, and have the doorframe ring the alarm, you might even forego the need to charge the collar.
let

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: November 26, 2022, 03:09:57 pm »

Thing is, shock collars are just a tool for conditioning. Once the dog gets the message, he stops crossing the boundary on his own volition and doesn't receive shocks anymore. Thanks to some well places boundaries, the dogs of my mom's friend have free reign over a rather large farmyard because they can be trusted to not wander off. I can honestly say that they live much better than most city dogs, despite this so called "animal cruelty"
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: November 26, 2022, 03:37:58 pm »

Uh huh. I could be trusted not to wander off if I was abused to that point too.

Of course not every dog is going to “get the message”. The point of any negative reinforcement is to create anxiety over performing certain actions, so they eventually don’t get performed. If the dog doesn’t understand that the physical pain is connected to the performance of said action, it’s just going to become a fearful and anxious dog because it randomly gets shocked for no apparent reason.

Even in expert hands in controlled conditions, shock collars perform no better than other methods, so yeah. Between remembering to close a door and abusing the dog, probably choose the former so you don’t accidentally introduce worse behaviour by making a fearful and anxious animal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: November 26, 2022, 04:06:48 pm »

Yeah, fix the spring, or perhaps put a 30kHz tone generator in the room to annoy the dog when it comes in.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: November 26, 2022, 04:10:54 pm »

I feel dysphoric. Not any particular type of dysphoria - I just feel unsure about everything. These feelings been here for about a week now.

I was never the most stable person. Am I finally starting to go off the deep end?

:'( Guys stop talking about the moral implications of electrocuting innocent doooooogs~

:'( I want attentioooooon~
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: November 26, 2022, 04:15:23 pm »

Possibly we should use shock collars to re-condition you out of this attention seeking behaviour!

But nah your brain is still rewiring itself and will be for a while. Not sure about all the hormonal aspects of being a youth are done by 19? Hopefully it is just those things and it’ll pass eventually.

Otherwise, well, figure out what it is and fix it :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: November 26, 2022, 05:37:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Less 'today' and more 'this week', but it started last week at work when we sent a die back to the manufacturer since sheets were getting stuck to it. They sent it back since they had no issues with it, but it arrived on the day after the job was actually due, which I took off because I felt sick. While I was gone, the office got two people who were less experienced with my machine to try the job, but they couldn't get it to work and left a mess for me. Half of Wednesday was just straightening the machine back out, and the other half was cursing at the die.

I got it working the next day, and was able to finish the job before it jammed again and made the mess above. After cleaning up and starting the next job, I spent the rest of the day unable to get it to cut. Tried three other dies and had two other operators try to help, but it didn't work. Friday I got permission to move on to another job, and the next job wouldn't cut either. Turns out the guys trying to use the machine while I was away on Tuesday messed up some air hoses, and I was only getting pressure on one side of the die block. One hose was pinched between the casing, and another had almost completely fallen out.

At least it's fixed now.

E: Company name was visible on the picture. Shouldn't be now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:07:39 pm by BlackFlyme »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: November 26, 2022, 07:30:28 pm »

Shock collars are both unethical and illegal here. Training him to stay out doesn't work, because he sneaks in. Genuinely sneaks, caught him doing it more than once, he looks to see that I'm in another room and then goes to check the door so he can go in when I'm not there. Might be an age thing, but he's never been particularly obedient and is extremely excitable.

Were it not for the other animals I'd just use a lot of citrus scented oil to make my room absolutely stink of lemon or orange or something to keep him out, but as is that would be wildly unfair to the other pets, and maybe even unhealthy for a few of them.

As for unwanted, yeah, pretty much. 4* out of 5 people in the house at the time he was purchased voted not to get him. myself included. If it were up to me we'd just give him away, we're not a good family for a dog and he causes my father and I a lot of stress, as well as stressing the hell out of the cat.

*Two of whom have since moved out. Lucky buggers, but they do miss the cat dearly and aren't allowed pets at their flat so maybe not all that lucky.

I'm at the point of looking for a cheap single bedroom flat, but none of the ones in the area allow pets and Loki and Athena are non-negotiable on my end. Granted they might get a pass being reptiles and all, property damage and odours aren't really a big deal with them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: November 26, 2022, 08:25:54 pm »

Couldn't hurt to ask, some no-pet places do indeed make exceptions for stuff like fish or whatev'. The rule's generally there for the more potentially destructive ones, i.e cats, dogs, children.

Also yeah, I wouldn't recommend like an actual shock shock collar. There's things that just outright don't cause pain that works in much the same way otherwise, so there's no excuse to use one even if you're trying that general line of aversion conditioning.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:29:39 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: November 26, 2022, 08:28:34 pm »

Yeah my wife and I had rented a flat that wanted cats to be de-clawed, and we asked if we could avoid that ‘cause it’s cruel, and they were cool with adding another $100 to the security deposit.

One of the cats then proceeded to annihilate the door frame to the bedroom over the 5 or so years we rented, which admittedly was not a behaviour they displayed prior to moving in…

Anyway, the worst they do is say no, so no harm in asking.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: November 27, 2022, 02:01:03 am »

I feel dysphoric. Not any particular type of dysphoria - I just feel unsure about everything. These feelings been here for about a week now.

I was never the most stable person. Am I finally starting to go off the deep end?

:'( Guys stop talking about the moral implications of electrocuting innocent doooooogs~

:'( I want attentioooooon~
Dysphoria sucks, yeah. Not always anything you can really do about it either, which is pretty bad.

You're probably not going off the deep end though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: November 27, 2022, 02:15:46 am »

My jerkass coworker/fellow student accused me of threatening her when I reminded her of our dept. server rules.

Being on strike is fucking horrible. My status has increased so much that I've gone from "random person that others feel good about ignoring" to "everyone agrees you are responsible when things go bad." I don't want to be a goddamned manager, let alone a strike manager. This sucks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10602 on: November 27, 2022, 09:49:59 am »

How did the baton of ultimate responsibility get thrust into your hand? Can you relay it on to someone else's eager palms?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: November 28, 2022, 04:50:57 am »

I miss Naturegirl.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: November 28, 2022, 09:54:22 am »

Only old ladies can be this dumb, as many levels below dogshit and fungi...

-Go there to log what they brought "what does he want go away" as if I was flirting when I really make clear that I don't care about their dumb faces and I'd rather not greet them.
-Impossible to tell dumb coot something because other dumb coot must yell wrong instructions instead of listening to correct instructions.
-Go away after I logged in my shit. The second I turn around now they want attention.
-Ask some question she doesn't listen to the answer to.
-Still does the thing wrong she asked.

It's hard to describe how much I hate people who can not focus on the shit they're doing.... With their attention span they should have died in public traffic a long time ago and it insults me that they didn't.
let
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 779