Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 2192

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2842716 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25995 on: January 16, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »

Didn't they release the OVAs in reverse order however? The 1993 OVAs are the ending, and the 2000 OVAs are the prequel to that?

That's the only caveat, watch the 2000 OVAs then the 1993 OVAs to end on a high note.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25996 on: January 16, 2016, 06:11:40 pm »

Okay. I have now watched Garakowa, and...

Flipping hell. Yes, it may not literally be everything I could have asked for, but it comes about as close as you could hope for with a 65 minute runtime. The flaws, such as they are, are small enough to overlook. I have some issues with the basic scenario, but not large ones. It's good.

I feel like that needs restating. It's really, really good.

It's also an epic troll, on the scale of End of Evangelion and then some. No, I won't tell you how. Go watch it. You may have to watch it more than once, to understand it all, but you'll want to. You will need to pay attention; it's maximally compressed, though not in a bad way.

I hope for a series adaption.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:14:21 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25997 on: January 16, 2016, 07:08:11 pm »

The most logical order is airing order: Bakemonogatari first. Then if you like that most of the other stuff is side-stories related to those core characters, but with some additional characters introduced here and there. One of my favorite characters is the main villain in Nisemonogatari, which follows Bakemonogatari.
Actually, Nekomonogatari: Kuro aired a little while ago; it's chronologically before Bake and is only four episodes, so it might be worth watching first to see if you want to get into the rest of the series.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25998 on: January 16, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »

I thought of that, but I think the first couple of arcs of Bakemonogatari give a better feel for the series as a whole.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25999 on: January 16, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »

I... don't know, actually, it's been ages since I watched that. Although you're probably right; I think Nekomonogatari departed from the standard format a little.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26000 on: January 16, 2016, 07:50:12 pm »

So is Ore Monogotari part of that series?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26001 on: January 16, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »

Ore Monogatari is unrelated. "Monogatari" just means "story". "Ore" = me (masculine) and "My" = "Ore no", e.g. the start of "Ore no Imouto..." (my little sister ...). So the full title "Ore Monogatari!!" is actually a grammatically-incorrect utterance of "Me Story!!" highlighting that he's uncouth. This is why I think the "official" translation as "My love story!!" is a complete fail. None of the tone of the original title is conveyed.

Monogatari series is separate, and many of the season names are wordplays. Bakemon = monster/phantom, so bakemonogatari is sometimes translated as "monstory" or "ghostory".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:34:15 pm by Reelya »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26002 on: January 16, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »

So I just finished watching Haikyuu.

Woah, two seasons and the plot still hasn't progressed beyond a few months. The anime is good, however the short amount of time in which stuff happens in it is way too short in my view.

I don't even know why I enjoy sports anime so much. It kinda just happened.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26003 on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

I'm watching that, and I find it to be one of the more bland sports series. Basically, the characters and things are all things you get in "regular" sports series and there aren't many twists added. Mostly isn't "bad" but it's so much the standard tropes that it lacks personality as a series.

Some standard tropes were particularly poorly handled however, for example, the token girl. Kuroko's Basketball uses this character admirably, she's a great character and very important to the plot. Whereas in Haikyuu she's walking docile tits and ass who never speaks and who's only interests seem to be doing the laundry. Her character was so bad, that the mangaka clearly got complaints. In the second season they come up with a way to get her to speak, to try and salvage the character. A second girl is introduced, and they become friends, providing some commentary to the sports matches. This was pretty clever but was clearly a plot band-aid over the problem of Sexy No-Personality Mute Girl.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:47:59 pm by Reelya »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26004 on: January 17, 2016, 12:47:34 am »

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26005 on: January 17, 2016, 06:33:58 am »

Yeah, I noticed the thing with the girl. The second season does try to fix it.

On the other hand I absolutely love the delinquent trope and use of its jokes, even if overdone. It's funny.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26006 on: January 17, 2016, 12:12:58 pm »

More people who like Ore Monogatari should give Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun a try. I think Ore Monogatari challenges a couple of shoujo/romcom tropes in it's set-up, but plays it straight as a romance story that's basically all puppies and rainbows in the end, whereas Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is pretty much a straight-up deconstruction of everything to do with shoujo and romcom series. Here, no trope is sacred, and everything exists to be broken down and subverted, whereas I doubt you could call Ore Monogatari a "nothing is sacred" deconstruction of the romance genre.
I'm weirdly finding Ore Monogotari to be a little bit bland, although my repertoire isn't that great.
I dunno, it might be that the girl's too nice.

Well, I'm only up to ep 9 or something.
I just skipped out on the 24-ep former to check out the 12-ep latter.
I like.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:46:25 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26007 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »

Honestly as much as I love "My Love Story" the show kind of only really had two real arcs
1) Getting a Girlfriend (Honestly I will praise this show for not keeping them in "will they won't they" for a billion episodes)
and
2) Keeping his best friend

But the second isn't really resolved properly.

It isn't like the show doesn't have plots that COULD be interesting. It is that it doesn't want to challenge the status quo. It also doesn't help that though that the show has a VERY archaic idea of relationships. The main character is all "The guy should protect the girl" which is fine for his own philosophy but the show will even go out of its way to make him right, such as when he chastises someone for not fighting off two big thugs who were harassing his girlfriend (Even though he did EXACTLY the right thing and called his tougher friend to take them out, instead of escalating the situation by fighting)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26008 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:04 pm »

Give Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun a try.
!!
Monthly Women's Nozaki-kun. (For the crunchyrollers among us).
I could almost (almost) call it the One Punch Man of Shoujo.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26009 on: January 17, 2016, 07:09:12 pm »

I read the Yume Nikki manga. Was alright. The first half followed the game pretty well and some of the stuff they added was kinda neat. However, making it so that there was a villain and a hero and... an actual story kinda ruined it for me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 2192