Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210819 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this something that goes on sale frequently? It looks really good but I've already gone over budget for games for the month and tight times financially appear to be ahead lol

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games are allowed to be gamey, because they're games.

Held onto a single word from my statement. The problem is the occasional arbitrary lack of even internal logic, not the fact this or that mechanic is gamey.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

My first three attempts at a new game went pretty badly by the first or second run each. Fourth attempt I had to go for a full party of fresh level 0 recruits with an less than optimal composition (GR, Jester, Vestal, Occultist), because my first party finished at the edge of death at almost max stress. I had no expectation of surviving with the second party but they actually pulled it through in good fashion with a little help from the RNG. So I feel like I can probably get going with a stable game.

The corpses don't interfere too much, except when your party layout lacks consistent back rank attacks. Blight is really, really good now, the damage is very satisfying, and destroying corpses instantly is a bonus. But I shudder to think how potent it will be in the AIs hands. It seems like having a Blight solution in every party, or stocking up on anti-venom, is going to be a thing. They act like enemies in most things, which is good and bad. You can miss them, they can resist, I think they might even dodge. But you can still crit them for stress relief too. (It's funny to watch a hero shouting "You think I'm done with you yet!" at a quivering pile of meat.) You can also target them for your self-heal/self-buff/torch attacks too.

Diseases seem more common now, and are definitely nastier. They carry multiple effects and the hits are pretty steep (got one that was -75% Blight/Disease resist, -HP, -Speed. Yeowch.)

Stress relief for crit heals is also much appreciated.

Maybe it's just me, but torches seem to burn a little faster too.

All in all, the game seems harder but that's just my initial impression of the first few runs.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

The game is definitedly nastier. I'm having *real* money problems. To the point that I'm resorting to what I once thought was "twinkish": increase the wagon straight off to 4 heroes so that if worse comes to worst, I can push myself back into the green through consecutive suicide runs.

In fact, I find that it is most prudent to, at least at the start, send your level-up heroes with throwaway squads. If the redshirts start to die, time to retreat and call it a day.

Problem will come when my favorites start to level up and I have to send them into nasty runs. I'm guessing I'll have to play far more conservative then and offset the difference with noob suicide runs.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Maybe the rules have changed since I played, but i had almost no deaths simply by retreating whenever I was in trouble.  As in, giving up the whole mission.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Yeah. But that can be costly. Unless you get lucky with loot and/or do suicide runs.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

The game is definitedly nastier. I'm having *real* money problems. To the point that I'm resorting to what I once thought was "twinkish": increase the wagon straight off to 4 heroes so that if worse comes to worst, I can push myself back into the green through consecutive suicide runs.

In fact, I find that it is most prudent to, at least at the start, send your level-up heroes with throwaway squads. If the redshirts start to die, time to retreat and call it a day.

Problem will come when my favorites start to level up and I have to send them into nasty runs. I'm guessing I'll have to play far more conservative then and offset the difference with noob suicide runs.
And if the level-up heroes get targeted and wiped out first?
That happened to me the other night. My best Occultist was single-mindedly targeted by attack after attack until he got killed, while everyone else who was a level lower was basically ignored. No, he wasn't marked. I wasn't even half-way through the run.

(also ptw)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

...I think I found a bug: The bleed chance for the wyrd reconstitution becomes WORSE as you level up the skill.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ptw I guess, haven't actually bought this game yet but I got a free beta build a really long time ago, was fun but the 'everythings worse' post makes me a bit nervous, when I played it wasn't uncommon to party-wipe on the tutorial.
Nom nom nom

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

*shrug* I don't get party-wiped at the tutorial, but then again I've never had, so take it with a grain of salt.

IMO it takes some singular bad luck to experience that often. Normally your two heroes are more than enough to wipe the floor with the tutorial miniboss.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it was a thing that got toned back since like 60% of the testers group for that version got wiped, bad luck and worse stacking against you.
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tutorial is way less random than it was at release. I remember starting out, that first single bandit could get your guys to Death's Door when he'd roll out two crits and four dodges. They said they've tried to make the RNG less streak-y.

One thing I've noticed this build, there seems to be the chance for more obstructions than there used to be. In all my playtime prior, I'd only ever seen two, maybe three tops once, in a single level. This build, I've seen 5. 5 goddamn obstructions. I started carrying two shovels all the time thinking that'd be enough, but the game has regularly proved me wrong. Nothing sucks ass more than bailing on a mission one or two rooms away from the finish because you can't take the guaranteed stress/torch hit of yet another wall of debris.

The AI also seems particularly vicious toward level zero characters. I took a level 0 jester backed up by 1s and 2s into a short apprentice Warrens run. The very first fight, of the 12 or so attacks that made up the round, 10 went right at him. He didn't have a chance with just a Vestal for healing.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to say, I found the tutorial a bit punishing before. Whilst I'm all for the game itself being punishing, I felt that it was a bit of a rough introduction when it's really just supposed to be teaching you the basic concepts.
I think the other thing is that us here at Bay12 are mostly hardcore gamers, coming from games like DF, whereas some people will be coming to it from tablet games and the like which means that the learning curve would be really, really steep - and they'd probably lose a lot of interest if they just died in the tutorial.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not see what is so easy about the mid game.

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)

*sigh* Goddamn this game. I get into it for a day or two, think I've finally broken through to some sort of playable balance and then it goes to shit when I try to keep playing.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:13:57 am by nenjin »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

I think the game still needs some sort of break to being constantly on the brink of loss. Something like more thing to do in the hamlet, like interacting with ordinary people inhabiting it, rebuilding it, something. Likewise, it would be nice if losing occasionally gave you something. Like losing a whole party of high level heroes would, I don't know, net a heroic ballad about it that brought some higher-than-zero level heroes to your door. Losses should feel fluid and dynamid, not like kicks in the teeth.

Mind you, I don't think the game is impossibly hard right now. I just think the dynamics of the game, the general flow could use some improvement.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101