Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210768 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. New sequel trailer!
« Reply #1470 on: October 30, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »

Some enemy keeps laughing all the time.

"Lol," said the enemy, "lmao."
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. New sequel trailer!
« Reply #1471 on: October 30, 2021, 10:28:15 pm »

...I couldn't help but wonder after getting both of these status changes in the same turn:
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1472 on: November 02, 2021, 06:27:53 am »

Classic lover's pox

Also I'm just imagining the pitch for DD2
"What if darkest dungeon... Had no dungeon..."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 02, 2021, 09:12:11 am »

"A Darkest Dungeon....WITHIN a Darkest Dungeon."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 02, 2021, 09:14:05 pm »

Classic lover's pox

The real dungeon was the friends we made along the way.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1475 on: November 03, 2021, 10:14:53 am »

"A Darkest Dungeon....WITHIN a Darkest Dungeon."
LOADSA MONEY

Sounds stressful

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 03, 2021, 08:35:44 pm »

Classic lover's pox

There's no exit :V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 04, 2021, 02:12:02 pm »

Dang, popped in to see what people thought of it in here and was blasted away by the hatred... Is it really that bad? I was never able to get into Darkest Dungeon because of its awfully unfun metaprogression based around juggling the usage of a bunch of randomly assigned meta resources, as much as I liked everything else about it. All the reviewers ive seen play it have been really enthusiastic also.

I do agree the characters look way too "active" though, especially on like, passive screens where they arent doing anything.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Like I said before: would you enjoy Darkest Dungeon 1 if it was just the Farmstead? If you would, then maybe you'd enjoy Darkest Dungeon 2. It's certainly not my can of beans and I'd not go around recommending it, at least in it's current form. Though I am hard pressed to see how the core gameplay loop could change into something I'd recommend...

Classic lover's pox

ROTFL
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:13:51 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 07, 2021, 05:10:13 am »

I've only watched a couple videos, so I can't really form an opinion.
Things I didn't like at first glance:
- I can easily see the cart driving part becoming very boring very quickly.
- I hate the plague doctor's stance/animations. She was very elegant and graceful in her moves, now she looks like a goblin.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: November 07, 2021, 12:36:45 pm »

It is very boring, but at least there's auto-forward.

Except you still have to steer, since the crud on the road can spawn items when you run them over. Whyyyyyy.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 07, 2021, 12:42:47 pm »

Darkest Dungeon 2: Taking freeform adventure and putting it BACK ON THE RAILS.  :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 07, 2021, 12:44:47 pm »

I think one thing roguelike makers forget is that the fundamental basis of what makes a roguelike roguelike is not permadeath, but the game being fun, challenging and interesting due to its game rules alone

*EDIT
At least I discovered Wildermyth and Battle Brothers now
+1 to Wildermyth (I already have Battle Brothers).
Obligatory topic on Wildermyth for further discussion...and suggestions for better opening topic text.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 07, 2021, 04:05:36 pm »

Darkest Dungeon 2: Taking freeform adventure and putting it BACK ON THE RAILS.  :P
pretty much. I'm pretty bummed out (as far as you can be bummed out about a game I mean) about this because I had expectations about DD2, and I honestly dont see this shaping into anything I'll like. I mean this is DD-FTL. And I didn't like FTL.  It might get better than it's current incarnation but the core gameplay loop it's pretty meh, and it's highly unlikely they'll add to that or change that in any significative manner. If DD1 development is anything to go by, we will get more "campaigns", the interactions between the characters might get tweaked, and combat balance will be tweaked. But the core game itself, what you see is what you get.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 07, 2021, 04:50:28 pm »

What I find even worse is that it has metagame unlockables, that are pretty major... so to get to a point where you have a realistic chance of success, you have to fail umpty-times. Unlike FTL where the only unlocks were... ships? Which isn't inherently problematic, but is a departure from the feel of the original DD, where you were 'supposed' to retreat from losing situations, lick your wounds, and try again when better prepared. Not just throw bodies at it until the world starts magically giving you better food.

And more of a bug issue, but I'm finding it sometimes crashes during the score tabulation screen, so you get no credit for the run. And, more often than not, it's on a long run.  >:(

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 08, 2021, 11:06:51 pm »

What I find even worse is that it has metagame unlockables, that are pretty major... so to get to a point where you have a realistic chance of success, you have to fail umpty-times. Unlike FTL where the only unlocks were... ships?

Actually, you had to succeed in some way in FTL to get the unlocks.  Failure gave nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101