Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523971 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2445 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:24 pm »

I never really got the gist of Dominions 4, as I was always pretty good at managing the armies and to a lesser extent, the equipment, but I'm just really bad at magic, both using and countering it.

I love it, I'm just not good at it.
1: Accumulate gems
2: Give gems
3: Attack enemy with 5 mages and an army
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 06, 2016, 01:44:38 am »

You can play Ermor and get a good bless on your Lictors. Takes a while to set up a good base for reanimating, but once it gets going...

I'll just throw my two cents into this and say that yes, this very much works, better yet, you're Ermor, only scales you care about are luck and magic, so dual bless is easy to get, tri-bless with some minor sacrifices.

Although I will note that from what I remember of that game (it was a while ago) my mage presence felt... Rather bad... So don't linger too long.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 06, 2016, 01:56:35 am »

But Asphodel is pretty good, if I remember correctly. Their mages are effective, freespawn are good (for freespawn), have plenty of national spells for buffing and access to the summons needed for a late-game, gold-light economy. Not to meantion that what troops they have are good instead of mediocre/questionable, so the early game is not as rough.

Personally, I think Asphodel is terrible, but that's solely based on experience playing against them in MP (in multiple games) - fighting them ranged from 'easy' to 'trivial' in difficulty. Even when I was playing Ulm and being ground down by C'Tis, I had no trouble destroying Asphodel's armies whenever they tried to invade my lands. They don't have any sacred summons, and their only sacred unit costs 55 gold and is cap only. You could give them a water bless to try to make them unhittable in melee - it won't save them from arrows or magic, but maybe you can invade some people. Throw in a nature bless too, perhaps, to try to keep them alive longer.

There was one time I was playing MP where Asphodel managed to take over half the world. Of course, I was playing Agartha, had taken over the other half of the world, and had no trouble taking their thrones, destroying the thousands of troops they sent to stop me, and winning the game. (If they had invaded me at the beginning of the game, they could've taken me out, I expect, but they didn't. Unless magma children are immune to sleep vines. I can't recall if it's lifeless or mindless which is immune.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 06, 2016, 05:36:27 am »

It's lifeless.  As far as Asphodel's freespawn goes, they're kinda odd... Lots of attacks, better MR than most chaff, and only fatigue-based attacks.  You really can't use them like Ermor's legions, since there are some things they are simply not at all effective against.  And even the things they ARE effective against, it's generally best to give them some non-manikin help.

However, unlike Ermor, they also get some big fat bastards from time to time, like mandragora beasts or just some dead elephants. Pretty sure they also get some sacred spawn, but that's hardly worth bothering with in any real way.

Their mages can be a bit beefy, and recuperation means that they can shrug off feeblemindedness or whatnot, although that's not really a huge selling point. Paths are rather limited though, so you're gonna want some diversity in there from other sources.  You've got loads of death though, so feel free to supplement your manikins with other deadites who actually hit things that've been knocked out by the sleep vines, and you've got lots of nature too so you can GoR anything that looks like it'd be a nice thug, which can be particularly fun seeing as they keep the sleep vine attacks even when kitted out with weapons.

Outside of that, you've got all those lovely stealthy, recuperating, better-than-human soldiers available to Pan, so raiding and harassment are big deals. The difference is, as Asphodel, you also get a bulk of freespawn that can serve as a distraction or as blockers on your frontier while the lively troops cause hell behind enemy lines.  Asphodel's spawn aren't meant to really kill anything, they just wear the enemy out by requiring more magic blasting, dishing out loads of fatigue damage, and having a special version of mass regeneration available as soon as you get someone with 4H.

I'unno, I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 06, 2016, 07:22:02 am »

Does the 'undisciplined' tag on commanders do anything? Do they ignore orders or something?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: August 06, 2016, 07:40:52 am »

You can't put them in formations, or give them orders. They start in a shitty formation of "like box but spread crazy far apart"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44:04 am »

It comes on commanders?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: August 06, 2016, 10:35:43 am »

You can't put them in formations, or give them orders. They start in a shitty formation of "like box but spread crazy far apart"
I wrote 'commanders', didn't I? E.g. barbarian chief.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: August 06, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »

It doesn't do anything on commanders.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: August 06, 2016, 03:25:04 pm »

Isn't there a spell/effect that can turn a commander into a standard troop? Like, just strip them of their commander status?  Or was that only in CoE?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: August 06, 2016, 04:21:33 pm »

Isn't there a spell/effect that can turn a commander into a standard troop? Like, just strip them of their commander status?  Or was that only in CoE?

IIRC Enslave spells do that.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: August 06, 2016, 05:42:11 pm »

DAMN IT READING COMPREHENSION

Anyway, anyone use the "Transform" nature spell regularly? The one that turns the caster into an animal I mean. Kinda curious about it, seemed like a good thing to make Avalon Crones and the like less old, wondering if that is a decent thing or not?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: August 06, 2016, 05:46:15 pm »

Well I transformed half my pans as ociana, but even there it didn't really feel crazy worth it (it's 8 f'ing gems afterall).

It works well if you do it early, but even better is a mother oak early - afterall each turn afterwards means more cash in return - but it certainly takes long. Consider it a investment, much like forts.

Also, you will lose like 2 in 8 to bullshit forms, even if the stats and other factors suggest a better outcome.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: August 06, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »

Besides sometimes turning you into trolls, yetis, and giants, Transform can also net you new magic paths from time to time. The reason a lot of people like the idea of it is that it eliminates upkeep in most (but not all) cases. It's best if you have a way to fix Feebleminding, though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 07, 2016, 02:13:04 am »

Played this game too much and burnt out my desire to play it a long time ago. Convince me to play it again.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 236