Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523989 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2535 on: August 31, 2016, 02:46:02 pm »

N1 can make bags of wine, +50 supply points for 5 gems, which in worst-case-scenario means 10 pearls.  Hammers would of course help, as always.

Terracotta army takes fire gems, at least according to the mod inspector. With higher ranks in fire, you get an actually fairly decent deal for the cost.

And if you've got a horde of N1's, get them out searching... You're bound to find SOME nature site sooner or later. Prioritize forests.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 31, 2016, 03:11:53 pm »

N1 can make bags of wine, +50 supply points for 5 gems, which in worst-case-scenario means 10 pearls.  Hammers would of course help, as always.

Terracotta army takes fire gems, at least according to the mod inspector. With higher ranks in fire, you get an actually fairly decent deal for the cost.

And if you've got a horde of N1's, get them out searching... You're bound to find SOME nature site sooner or later. Prioritize forests.

I've got a hammer, will start working on terracotta spam, and of course, the last two territories I search with my nature mages were the ones with the gems.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »

Haha, ain't that just typical? Check again later and all the other territories are probably packed full of N2 sites or something.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 31, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »

Nature mages also provide some supply themselves (10/lvl?), so you could always stack them all on your army, if you wanted to. It'd be expensive and inefficient, to be sure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 31, 2016, 05:16:23 pm »

Nature mages also provide some supply themselves (10/lvl?), so you could always stack them all on your army, if you wanted to. It'd be expensive and inefficient, to be sure.

Hence why I have been building hordes of them :P. 500 nature mages was going to be my backup plan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »

Any reason you can't drop seeking arrows on them until everything stops moving? Or start wind riding enemy commanders out of the place. Unless they've been spamming couatls, most of mict's stuff is pretty small and squishy, so things like that can trim their commander roster fairly effectively if you don't have better options.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 31, 2016, 05:53:27 pm »

Any reason you can't drop seeking arrows on them until everything stops moving? Or start wind riding enemy commanders out of the place. Unless they've been spamming couatls, most of mict's stuff is pretty small and squishy, so things like that can trim their commander roster fairly effectively if you don't have better options.

Would killing commanders actually make them unable to defend the fortress? Because my problem was sieging the place before my supplies caused all my guys to die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 31, 2016, 06:05:26 pm »

Well, you might get lucky and poink one of the dudes carrying supply items or something, I'unno. Also, nature mages.

Anyways, what does MA Mictlan actually... Do?  I have kind of a hard time seeing the recruitable couatl making up for the loss of all their blood magic potential. I mean, you've got a lot of good patrollers, but... That's not exactly gonna win you the war on its own.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 31, 2016, 07:26:13 pm »

Would killing commanders actually make them unable to defend the fortress? Because my problem was sieging the place before my supplies caused all my guys to die.
Beyond what kag mentioned, even if it doesn't your actual problem is they're attacking from the fortress. If they have no commanders (or at least not enough to do squat) they can't attack :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 31, 2016, 07:30:36 pm »

Speaking of blood, have you been blood hunting? I consider it vital for Marignon to save grand masters from old age using boots of youth. Anyways, if you have, you could potentially have someone repeatedly horror seed the province, once they've been boosted or empowered enough to cast it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2545 on: August 31, 2016, 07:33:56 pm »

Soooooooo I got this, and while I had Dom3 a while back and played it a fair bit, I never geeked out on it too much. Would like to learn some more before maaaaaybe delving into PBEM with other B12ers. Any tips on how to "git gud", as all the cool kids are saying these days?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 31, 2016, 08:05:37 pm »

Keep the inspector open, play AI games, try stuff. Maybe even just jump right in to a newbie game. Hard to be particularly specific, heh. If you played a fair amount of Dom 3 you'll probably be mostly fine regardless. There's definitely differences, but so far as strategy and whatnot goes they're still more alike than not. Just don't bother trying reverse communions :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:08:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 31, 2016, 10:42:06 pm »

Yeah, jumping into PBEM games is a pretty good way to learn things. Its a totally different level then the single player, and it shows.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2548 on: August 31, 2016, 10:46:16 pm »

Heheh, now if only I could actually beat the AI :D

It could actually be fun to do a Disciples game, and I'd be a disciple. I like cooperation a lot, and if I fail there are others to shore up the defenses ;)

I guess the PVP aspect of it would make me really analyse and get to know the faction to try to min-max it more. I read a bunch of the manual today, so I have a better idea of how things work :)

Maybe see you around future rounds of B12 PBEMS!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: September 01, 2016, 02:11:06 am »

I won a MP game and I still lose to the AI, its a strange world. Personally, while I enjoyed Dom3 (and had some fun with strange hotseat games [look away for 15 mins dude]), playing MP was certainly what made me stick to dom4.

On that note, super casual near-vanilla Round 23, medium pace - rules basically like round 21, except maybe different throne settings & map, intrest check #2

Round 21:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158361.msg7015442#msg7015442

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 236