Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651812 times)

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Poll added!
« Reply #1635 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:11 pm »

Many thanks!
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 30, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »

Many thanks!
Welcome, sorry about the nature, and thank you too.
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 30, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »

Its nothing!

I just hope mine was sufficient for your needs.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1638 on: October 30, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »

Oh, a few more questions...

I chose the fire type Fennekin, and found that fire moves obliterate just about everything, and fire types are only weak to water and something else I can't quite tell. Would the game have actually been challenging had I chosen one of the others? (Not that I'm all the way to the end yet, but I got pretty far...)

Also, is there any reason NOT to use your Exp. Share? E.g. does it reduce the XP gained by the Pokemon actually doing the fighting in order to give it to the other Pokemon in your party?

And what's the difference between a TM and an HM, anyway? They're both special moves you can teach your Pokemon, some of which can be used outside of battle...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:01:25 pm by ekolis »
Charizard uses Kafrizzle! The Wizard of Yendor faints! The party gained 500 gil!

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

I chose the fire type Fennekin, and found that fire moves obliterate just about everything, and fire types are only weak to water and something else I can't quite tell. Would the game have actually been challenging had I chosen one of the others? (Not that I'm all the way to the end yet, but I got pretty far...)
Usually that depends upon Gyms...in this case yes Fennekin is smart for easy start as first gym is bug, but second Gym is super effective on fire, so grab a fighting type.
Also, is there any reason NOT to use your Exp. Share? E.g. does it reduce the XP gained by the Pokemon actually doing the fighting in order to give it to the other Pokemon in your party?
EXP given to all pokemon reduces the growth speed of your leader(so yes) and gives EVs out to any pokemon on your team.
And what's the difference between a TM and an HM, anyway? They're both special moves you can teach your Pokemon, some of which can be used outside of battle...
HM moves cannot be forgotten unless you visit the Move deleter and usually help you progress the game, like Surf.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:15:47 pm by RekkaAtsuma »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 30, 2013, 01:15:08 pm »

How to make the game challenging:

1. Don't use the same team of pokemon constantly.
2. Turn off exp share.
3. Turn off that option that allows you to get a free switch every time you faint the enemy.
4. Use a Nuzlocke challenge.

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:03 pm »

How to make the game challenging:

1. Don't use the same team of pokemon constantly.
2. Turn off exp share.
3. Turn off that option that allows you to get a free switch every time you faint the enemy.
4. Use a Nuzlocke challenge.
Never...not with Amie around, you'd spend more time in Amie than in the actual game.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:32 pm »

This time around the main story isn't all that difficult to clear, mostly thanks to the Exp Share being a little bit more potent than it has been in the past. For some reason the Fire-type starters are usually only weak against one of the gyms.

Their other weaknesses are Ground and Rock, by the way; Delphox's Psychic-type adds Dark and Ghost to that for an impressive list of weaknesses. You might want some other team members who can cover those weaknesses.

The only reason not to use it is if there is a Pokémon in your party who you do not want to gain experience or EVs for whatever reason; under most circumstances, there's no disadvantage to using the Exp Share at all. Apparently they don't even affect the experience gained by the participating pokémon.

HMs need certain Gym Badges to work outside of battle (again - I think they skipped this in Gen 5?), while TMs with field effects can be used at any time you want.

(edit to avoid double post)

So, preliminary results of Operation Entry Hazards Everywhere; sent out about a box worth of Ferroseed, got back a bunch of useless junk unloved pokémon who I set free from their vicious cycle of being WonderTraded back and forth, but scored a couple of good trades; a Protean Froakie, a Friend Safari Ditto (no Imposter, but two perfect IVs that can be bred onto anything is nice), and a Friend Safari Frogadier without Hidden Ability (but again, 2 perfect IVs).

Only problem is Froakie / Greninja's egg moves are still a bit of a mystery; as far as I can tell from the research that's been done, it can get Water Sport (which is pretty near worthless), Camouflage (not... really that useful in combination with Protean), Toxic Spikes (niche, but ok), and... that looks like all that's known right now.

Even so, with a breeding pair of 5-IV Azumarills that can breed some nice stats onto Froakie, I'm tempted to try it as a breeding project soon.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:47:54 pm by Calech »

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1643 on: October 30, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm new to Pokemon, having constantly avoided it for years, thinking I'm "just a bit too old" (born in 1983) for it, but secretly wanting to give it a try! (My younger brother did once and he LOVED it - he played through FireRed on my GBA several times over, literally erasing his save just so he could experience the adventure again!)

So these friend codes you guys are exchanging, are those 3DS friend codes? Or Pokemon Black/White friend codes? And what's this Friend Safari thing? Is that something special you unlock when you beat the game, or it is only in Black/White and not in X/Y? Or is all I need to do simply register a friend who plays Pokemon? (Just StreetPassed a kid at church last Sunday who was playing Pokemon X, so I'm gonna ask him this Sunday if we can register each other!)
Charizard uses Kafrizzle! The Wizard of Yendor faints! The party gained 500 gil!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 30, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

I've switched my teams up to be a lot more tanky while still capable of dishing out good damage. Experience so far is it's good. In 3v3 especially, your 3 pokemon need to be able to handle everything and survive switching so tanky DPS is definitely the way to go. I've even tossed out my Gengar and put sludge bomb on my Tentacruel just to deal with faeries. It's so much better now that my anti-fairy doesn't die in one moonblast. Mega Aggron is a beast too, being more than able to survive the first hit from anything and killing then off when his turn comes.

I even switched my anti-Mewtwo to just Snorlax with crunch. Works well enough, and Snorlax is a lot more useful than Wobuffet.

Edit:

ekolis
1. We're on X/Y now. Friendcodes are the same ones as those in the 3DS. To register a friend code and find out your own, go to the smiley face on the top bar of your 3DS home screen. Both parties have to register each other for it to work.
2. Friend safaries are something you get after you've beaten the game. Basically you get to explore little areas with up to three pokemon corresponding to the type your friend has. That type is determined by some kind of magic.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 30, 2013, 03:17:21 pm »

:D I managed to find a nice sounding vocal cover of the credits song on youtube. This makes me happy.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:22:38 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 30, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »

By the way, I recently beat the E4, so what's my third Friend Safari pokémon?
I'd tell you but you'd have to add me....My FC is in OP.
And I'd really like a Metagross so please do so.

Okay, I added everyone I didn't add yet (which are coincidentally all people being or below RekkaAtsuma in the OP). You can get yourself Metangs now.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »

Not sure if anyone said anything yet, but Calech's Friend Safari is Dark-type with Pawniard, Crawdaunt, and Sableye.
Also often called Boowells.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

I really hope Safari Zone isn't coming back...

I never liked that in Red and Blue.
But its already back. Its the Friend Safari.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 30, 2013, 04:28:26 pm »

Not sure if anyone said anything yet, but Calech's Friend Safari is Dark-type with Pawniard, Crawdaunt, and Sableye.

Great, thanks :) Was wondering what the last was, and Sableye is quite an interesting one.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 463