Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2210718 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7875 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:24 am »

~LFTON, The Scottish
HAHAHAHAHAHHA! I seriously cannot stop laughing at that.

It's a Sapiocoatl accent (minus hissing) crossed with a LOTR dwarven accent. I guess it is ridiculous...
For the record, Idyllians pronounce their homeland "Id-ai-ee-uh". They would call this place "Spee-yayr-bree-yayr-kahhs". While hissing.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:26 am »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but given they're Sapiocoatl, a word combining old Latin and Nahuatl... that could mean 'Wise serpent' (or because of the dual meanings of Coatl, it can also mean 'Wise twin', a bit of fridge brilliance there, what with LFTON having many different alter-egos!)

Am I right?

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: March 06, 2013, 05:06:49 am »

Rough draft of organization so far...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kinda annoyed by the fact that it's somewhat a mix of two already existing organizations, and I intend to create a story to flesh out Aegis Ops' operations.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:18:31 am by Lennoxite »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: March 06, 2013, 05:23:13 am »

Reudh, I believe you just justified my name for my winged-serpent (Coatl) men. 'Wise serpent' befits them entirely, seeing as they always outsmart my adventurers when I go on rampages...

Sapio, from sapient or whatever. Basically, I got the idea from Homo Sapiens because we da powerful!
Coatl, from Quezalcoatl (literally 'feathered serpent'), god of the Mayans (or the Aztecs) and bringer of civilisation. Also a powerful badass then.

And yes, what with all the alter-egos LFTON has... 'twin' is most certainly appropriate!

Lennox, Aegis Ops sounds like a certainly... interesting group. Particularly since Aegis means 'protector', yet they hire people to protect themselves.

Lennoxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: March 06, 2013, 05:39:14 am »

Aegis also means to support something, they support those that protect them with recent discoveries and breakthroughs to refine and transform their weapons.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: March 06, 2013, 05:40:25 am »

...So it does. Interesting.

What is the study of ancient languages, and where can I begin? There are too many awesome ones...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: March 06, 2013, 06:14:06 am »

You could always start with english etymology, it's a fantastic starting point because of English's many parent languages.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:31 am »

7th Slate, 210

After having Rose check an old waste closet in the mess hall to see if everything was done decaying so we could get the useful odds and ends out, I was startled by an onrush of workers who seemed to pull the remains of a seige and ahalf from thier collective asses and thre it in there. I really ruely honestly have no idea where or how the hell they stuffed that many skeletons into that closet. Or why for that matter.

GUILTY, was just a handy closet to dump crap in...

on that note what have i been up to in the fortress lately?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:24:06 am by Paintbrushturkey »
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:17 am »

Gonna agree with Xahnel here (I'll give y'all a moment to pick yourselves up off the floor). I think forcing a meme is by its very nature nigh-on-impossible. Memes start and propagate (I think) when something makes some sort of strong impression on the audience, that makes them want to repeat the idea to others (or something). If an impression has been made, the meme starts on its own; otherwise, no amount of conscious repetition can force the process along, except possibly by causing a meta-meme along the lines of 'Milhouse Is Not A Meme', or by consciously establishing the forced meme as a 'secret handshake' of sorts (which I feel is dysfunctional behaviour).

Also: assuming that anyone cares, I haven't abandoned y'all or anything. I've been busy with CraftedDreams (which y'all should probably check out, by the way), and there hasn't been much for me to add in any case.
This puts me in mind of a short story called "The Crocodile's Mouth", which is about a secret sub-society called the Crocodile's Mouth, which is a sub-society of the Secret Crocodile. The Secret Crocodile is the secret society of people who manufacture the world's attitudes, control actors, and such.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

if its a glitch, cant you just make a backup of the save, go into the save files and get rid of the sleeping bug?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:19 pm »

if its a glitch, cant you just make a backup of the save, go into the save files and get rid of the sleeping bug?

Theoretically, yes. If you feel like poking through megabytes of raw save data in order to find the specific bytes responsible for controlling Fischer's and Draignean's sleeping behaviour and correcting them, be my guest.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: March 06, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »

@ Paintbrush - same as always. Scaring the shit out of your squadmates with your badassery and mohawk. I think you're the only one with a professional squad anywhere near mass-combat capacity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: March 06, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »

Alrighty dorfs and dorfettes, I have literally nothing to do so within the next  1-3 days I'll try and get another update out. It will be 3 days more to permit more voting until a course of action is taken regarding Fischer and Draignean's condition.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:11 am »

[Update's a little lacking, sorry. I have to use fastdwarf to keep the dwarves moving at a workable pace so I strongly STRONGLY encourage all following overseers to make use of it outside of combat.]

8th Slate, 210

More godsdamned sheep. I referred to an old god named Ast and still don't know what that diety represented but I'm beginning t think its the god of animals constantly fucking. I'm sick and tired of getting reports of more animals being born. Also, Fischer came and spoke with me today. She looked tired and she said something's wrong. Even the docs couldn't figure it out so they're assuming it has to be some leftover side effect of Thili's gases. She says she can't continue as champion if she's never awake to respond to a threat. She was going to hand the position over to Draignean, but he hasn't been seen since he went to bed last night.

I asked her what she intends to do, and she said to have Dauros come to her quarters. Were it under normal circumstances I'd assume something was going on between the two, but this seems serious.

[The following is a narrative of the change in Champion.]

"Knock knock." Dauros said as he entered Fischer's room. It was a nice room all things considered. Most of the furnishings were made of valuable kaolinite, and whatever wasn't was made from shale, save the bed, assembled from well-worked featherwood. The centerpiece of the room was an nearly perfect jet statue of a famed dwarven soldier killing a goblin in a war some decades ago.

Fischer was barely awake, but she sat up. As all the soldiers did she slept in her armor, but things were off. Fischer just didn't look right without that diamond shield bolted to her forearm or Splashslowed in her hands. "Afternoon Dauros, I assume Splint sent you?"

Dauros nodded. "Aye ma'am, he did. Said you wanted to see me about something." Fischer beckoned him closer, to a box beside her bed. "Indeed I do. i have something that needs to be taken care of, and since Draignean's suffering from whatever I have, that leaves you by seniority to take over."

Dauros was taken aback as he sat on the box next to his commander. "Take over? What do you mean?" He sounded very concerned over that wording.

Fischer raised the visor of her helmet and removed it, handing it towards him. "We trade. I can't be the fortress champion if I can't go more than a couple hours without falling on my face. I checked with Mitch, our heads are around the same size. Might be a little snug on you though." Quite frankly it was the first time Dauros had actually seen Fischer's eyes. Slightly rounded, heliotrope. Honestly Dauros had always thought her eyes were blood red or something else menacing. Her hair was slightly grayed ecru, and surprisingly neat, and combed over. Honestly she'd have probably been able to get anyone she wanted is she'd just taken her helmet off, as even with the slight wrinkles on her face she was still quite attractive.

"I don't..." Dauros said, not really sure what to do.

Fischer sighed "I'm staying commander on the books. But I'm passing the mantle of Champion to you. Draingnean's got whatever I do and you have seniority over Paintbrush. If you die, then the position goes to him and from there by whoever's been here longest. So, let's trade." She said, holding out her helmet. "Maybe now those squishy humans will be a challenge for you."

Dauros reluctantly removed his helmet and took Fischer's. She set his helmet on the nightstand beside her bed and with a nod, told him "Down it goes." Motioning for him to lower the visor. It was slightly tight, but that was more attributable to the extra skullcap he had on for extra padding. When the visor came down it was like he was ina near total status of tunnel vision. "You're dismissed Champion." Fischer said after Dauros looked around around a bit.

"One more thing," She said as he went to close the door behind him. "Yes ma'am?" He asked. "You better do the fortress proud as its new champion or I'll go to hell and drag you back and make you try again myself."

10th Slate, 210

We've made some more progress but it seems the liason can't find the damned export papers so he has to draft new ones. This may take awhilxjbjbhjstg,bbxffsjbkhl the rest of the writing degrades into nonsense for a page and a half, and is ended with different handwriting

Below... Our solution lies below... You can save our kin, but you must first claim the underworld as our domain.

11th Slate, 210

That... That was concerning. I've had bouts of madness before, but that... That was not normal. Anyways, I was told animal processing was taking a very long time so I had an order sent out for a another set of workshops to be built and this has sped things up considerably. I've also put an order for our workers to head topside and fell som trees. While this hurts us in combat against enemy bowmen, we have more pressing needs for wood; the stockpiles are nearly tidied up and a few doezen more crates to store this crap in will go a long way to making our lives easier. I've also decided that our lists of dead things needs to be narrowed down. Gotta make space for the new things that die right?

[Ok, so I used the clear dead command to clean up the lists, the stockpiles are amazingly getting cleared up, we have had a massive boost in ore production because of my apartment program, and I'm going to boost the popcap waaaaay up to get migrants. After we invade hell, I'm thinking we'll just create an endgame goal of becoming the official capital, and let the fortress' fall be left to legend.

Also, for the first time in our history, a dwarf will venture forth into the caverns to face the forgotten beasts, or more specifically, give Dauros an FB kill by taking down Ebra the mud monster.]

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:06 pm »

If it's really that bad, you should turn off temp. I know I will.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 815