Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4612 4613 [4614] 4615 4616 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13447301 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69195 on: February 07, 2015, 03:50:18 pm »

Ever post something and then instantly regret it?
Every damn time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69196 on: February 07, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »

Priorities. Whats the point of taking fancy guff you cant sell when there is food and booze to be had?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #69197 on: February 07, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »

Maybe the burglar was expecting an apocalypse and only wanted to steal things that have actual value in a survival situation?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69198 on: February 07, 2015, 03:58:12 pm »

Apparently someone broke into our neighbour's house and stole two bags of dried fruit and a bottle of beer, ignoring thousands of dollars worth of paintings and sculptures.
Priorities. Whats the point of taking fancy guff you cant sell when there is food and booze to be had?
For serious. They stole what, $30 tops? That is the lowest misdemeanor you can get and tops out at a $500 fine within 3 offenses. That other shit can get you big prison time even if you can't sell it. The cops also have priorities and the big cases get big good will.
In crime you can go big (risk) or go home. He went home... with free food and beer.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69199 on: February 07, 2015, 04:02:59 pm »

Maybe the burglar was expecting an apocalypse and only wanted to steal things that have actual value in a survival situation?
In that case they should be easily recognisable by having a pimped out solar car turned nuclear powered deathwagon.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69200 on: February 07, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

Apparently someone broke into our neighbour's house and stole two bags of dried fruit and a bottle of beer, ignoring thousands of dollars worth of paintings and sculptures.
For serious. They stole what, $30 tops? That is the lowest misdemeanor you can get and tops out at a $500 fine within 3 offenses. That other shit can get you big prison time even if you can't sell it. The cops also have priorities and the big cases get big good will.
In crime you can go big (risk) or go home. He went home... with free food and beer.
True.
They also were nice enough to not leave a mess (although they broke a window) and close all the dressers after opening them.
That said: why steal food? Social security around here should prevent starvation.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #69201 on: February 07, 2015, 04:38:20 pm »

In that case they should be easily recognisable by having a pimped out solar car turned nuclear powered deathwagon.
Check around for anybody stockpiling duct tape, batteries, and kevlar-reinforced trenchcoats.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69202 on: February 07, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »

Well, they've got another 3 movies that they are currently working on (not sure if they've started filming yet or not, but they plan to film them all at the same time) that should be coming out in 2017, 18, and 19,

Another three Avatar movies? I think that should go in the sad thread or the angry thread.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69203 on: February 07, 2015, 05:00:34 pm »

No, no, the WTF thread is perfectly suited for this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69204 on: February 07, 2015, 05:03:57 pm »

Avatar was actually pretty good.
[insert standard response about it being Dances With Wolves in space with completely unsympathetic natives]

If you were cheering for the Marines to burn that fucking forest, lets' hear it.

I once watched an "Everything wrong with Avatar in two minutes" (or some short duration) clip. The number of times the narrator said "Visionary film maker rips off <premise>" was amazing.

In all seriousness, though, it really was. Cameron ripped stuff directly from pretty much every notable 'culture clash/"empty civilization" meets "noble savages" amid discovery and misunderstanding' plot ever penned and then he missed the bloody point by diluting the morality of the situation and making the supposed protagonists and un-noble savages so unlikeable that the foaming-at-the-mouth corporate fascists were the more tolerable and more tolerant of the factions.

How were they less likable than the corporate fascists?

I mean, I understand how James Cameron himself is less likable - being pretentious and a hack and what have you - but not how his protagonists are.

Why do people care about the Na'vi? Because they were just trying to live their lives blah blah blah. So:

1. They were also less openminded than the predatory human paramilitaries who at least attempted to communicate and negotiate in terms understandable to the other party.

2. That dramatic final battle bullshit? Think about it. Eywa could have intervened at any time. She/it could have stopped the whole farce from ever happening. But instead she/it waited until the last moment, in part because Cameron is a hack and can't create sympathetic characters or narrative tension to save his ass, but also in-universe because... why? And this is the entity the Na'vi worship. Regardless of whether Eywa gave a shit about the Na'vi, they're blind and dogmatic enough to worship something that doesn't particularly care for their well-being, and the only way they accept any sort of meaningful interactions with humans is if they fall into line even unto the point of changing everything about themselves to conform.

3. Human-boy. That fucker. He betrayed friends and co-workers so that he could get laid. By someone who doesn't care about him unless he mindlessly allows himself to be molded into a copy of her beliefs. See the reverse as well.

4. Remember that conversation as the bulldozers are approaching? When human-boy tells the Na'vi that Q-whatever-his-name-is has given up on trying to convince the Na'vi to negotiate and is moving to take the plot coupon the corporation wants? And he mentions that he originally started using the Avatar and meeting with the Na'vi to learn more about them, rather than because he was inexplicably captivated by their culture/religion and instantly wanted to convert? And they all decide that he's scum and hate him, despite the 'revelation' being completely obvious and fairly predictable?

The Na'vi aren't just assholes, they're oblivious, self-centered assholes. It's not their fault from a Doylist perspective 'cause Cameron is a terrible writer, but in-universe it totally is.

5. Cameron was so busy ripping off plots from older, better films that he forgot to steal elements of AmerIndian culture. So the Na'vi aren't just oblivious self-centered assholes, they also do basically nothing with their lives beyond eating, shitting, and worshipping that asshole goddess of theirs. It took a novelization to remember that oh, wait, they're supposed to be likeable individuals instead of poorly-painted cardboard cutouts labelled 'SYMPATHETIC AND INTERESTING'.

6. Those head-tentacle things? That they use to tame the animals? That are basically fibre-optic cables linked directly to their brains? Yay, animal-taming by mindrape. At least they don't have sex with them too. OH WAIT THEY DO BUT THAT SCENE WAS DELETED.

7. Let's be honest here. If the Na'vi weren't sexy just-different-enough-to-avoid-the-Uncanny-Valley aliens, would anyone in- or out-of-story given two shits about them? If they were little lumps of flesh and bone oozing pus, would anyone even remotely considered their attitudes as enlightened and acceptable, even relative to the humans?

I could go on, but at the end of the day it's a shitty movie full of shitty people doing shitty things made by a shitty man, and I don't really give a shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69205 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »

Yeah all the depth in Avatar was accidental created by the directors ineptitude rather then from genuine world building.

I honestly believe we were supposed to side 100% with the Na'vi

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69206 on: February 07, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »

At least they don't have sex with them too. OH WAIT THEY DO BUT THAT SCENE WAS DELETED.
wat
._.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69207 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:15 pm »

5. Cameron was so busy ripping off plots from older, better films that he forgot to steal elements of AmerIndian culture. So the Na'vi aren't just oblivious self-centered assholes

But on the other hand when depicting the human side he accurately portrayed military culture, which is all about being oblivious self-serving monomaniacal assholes.

EDIT:
It's really a matter of how incredibly unsympathetically the non-scientist humans are depicted.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:11:25 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69208 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »

At least they don't have sex with them too. OH WAIT THEY DO BUT THAT SCENE WAS DELETED.
...where is this
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69209 on: February 07, 2015, 05:10:05 pm »

...where is this
Yeah that's disgusting. I need to know where on the internet I should never set foot.
Pages: 1 ... 4612 4613 [4614] 4615 4616 ... 10989