Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4611 4612 [4613] 4614 4615 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13508094 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69180 on: February 07, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »

Bay12: Where "Burn down the natives, loot their dead planet" is the sensible plan!
Sensible is a whole different animal from moral or ethical. And we would probably kill those moral/ethical animals to sell their precious bones and hide.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you don't mourn the loss of your innocence, you use its corpse as decorative materials.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69181 on: February 07, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

Bay12: Where "Burn down the natives, loot their dead planet" is the sensible plan!
Sensible is a whole different animal from moral or ethical. And we would probably kill those moral/ethical animals to sell their precious bones and hide.
Why the hell did you think I would still hang around here after four years?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69182 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:45 pm »

I don't understand why folk don't offer demos very much anymore. If you think your game is shite, you don't really have a right to say that piracy causing bad publicity is an issue.
It's because modern games has switched from "people buy game, consider it good, advise others to play it" model to "hype hype HYPE" and "make them imagine a game rather than show it" model.

The fact that it works much better than the older one speaks volumes about the state of modern society.
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69183 on: February 07, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »

The fact that it works much better than the older one speaks volumes about modern technology.
Fixed that for you. The people haven't changed, it's just that the ubiquity of internet access, social media, and digital distribution makes it really easy to hype things up and get people to make impulse purchases straight away as a pre-order or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69184 on: February 07, 2015, 03:12:29 pm »

Avatar was actually pretty good.
[insert standard response about it being Dances With Wolves in space with completely unsympathetic natives]

If you were cheering for the Marines to burn that fucking forest, lets' hear it.

I once watched an "Everything wrong with Avatar in two minutes" (or some short duration) clip. The number of times the narrator said "Visionary film maker rips off <premise>" was amazing.

In all seriousness, though, it really was. Cameron ripped stuff directly from pretty much every notable 'culture clash/"empty civilization" meets "noble savages" amid discovery and misunderstanding' plot ever penned and then he missed the bloody point by diluting the morality of the situation and making the supposed protagonists and un-noble savages so unlikeable that the foaming-at-the-mouth corporate fascists were the more tolerable and more tolerant of the factions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69185 on: February 07, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »

It wasn't the US army, though, it was a US corporation. The shareholders will see it as a pretty big waste of resources to try and take over a planet.

What about when US corporations took over Earth?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #69186 on: February 07, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »

If you were cheering for the Marines to burn that fucking forest, lets' hear it.
The marines were fornicating themselves with an idiot ball, too. I might have been more appreciative of them if they had burnt the forest to the ground -- you know, with suborbital bombardment or whathaveyou, instead of how they tried to -- but they didn't. Pretty but stupid, the movie was. One KKV would have solved that entire situation *grumbles vaguely*

We've actually had this general discussion before, though. Back in that movie nitpick thread, iirc.
I recently read a thing that was kinda funny. One of the main points of the Avatar film seemed to be classing the human race as a bunch of savage killers, yeah? You know what one of the biggest complaints about the film that people bring up is? The fact that we didn't genocide the entire planet from orbit. Our problem isn't that humans are portrayed as savage killers, it's that they aren't savage enough! The reviewers and watchers are being more savage and less moral then the people present in the film!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69187 on: February 07, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »

Yeah, instead they just tried and failed to genocide the planet from within weapons range of alien pterodactyls. It's not really a matter of savagery, it's a matter of competence. You've got freaking lift capability and you don't give a damn about the locals! Drop a freaking rock on it!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69188 on: February 07, 2015, 03:27:54 pm »

Avatar was actually pretty good.
[insert standard response about it being Dances With Wolves in space with completely unsympathetic natives]

I once watched an "Everything wrong with Avatar in two minutes" (or some short duration) clip. The number of times the narrator said "Visionary film maker rips off <premise>" was amazing.

In all seriousness, though, it really was. Cameron ripped stuff directly from pretty much every notable 'culture clash/"empty civilization" meets "noble savages" amid discovery and misunderstanding' plot ever penned and then he missed the bloody point by diluting the morality of the situation and making the supposed protagonists and un-noble savages so unlikeable that the foaming-at-the-mouth corporate fascists were the more tolerable and more tolerant of the factions.

How were they less likable than the corporate fascists?

I mean, I understand how James Cameron himself is less likable - being pretentious and a hack and what have you - but not how his protagonists are.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:30:43 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69189 on: February 07, 2015, 03:35:27 pm »

Yeah, instead they just tried and failed to genocide the planet from within weapons range of alien pterodactyls. It's not really a matter of savagery, it's a matter of competence. You've got freaking lift capability and you don't give a damn about the locals! Drop a freaking rock on it!
IIRC they weren't trying to genocide anyone. Throughout the whole film they looked on the tree of souls as some sort of "holy site" (which it was), not as some sort of mass kill button. They just figured if they destroyed it then it would dishearten the Na-vi enough that they wouldn't want to spend time near it anymore. And the avatar wiki supports this, since it says that the destruction of the tree of souls "would prove devastating to the Na'vi as a whole, creating a cultural and religious void that would decimate the race entirely", not "would kill everything". At worst it would wipe out most of the "mass mind" on pandora, but probably wouldn't even stop the Na'vi to creature bonds since those are a direct physical connection.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69190 on: February 07, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »

Was actually because there was macguffin under the tree. Well, the big tree -- not so much the smaller glowy one, iirc. And yeah, I was rolling with your wording more than accurately portraying the situation, heh.

But still. Point about doing it from above stands pretty much regardless. Even has the additional benefit of potentially making it look like a meteor hit! Ruddy incompetents *grumbles*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69191 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

Well, they've got another 3 movies that they are currently working on (not sure if they've started filming yet or not, but they plan to film them all at the same time) that should be coming out in 2017, 18, and 19, so they've got more chances to become the evil bastards that we know humans really are. :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69192 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »

The McGuffin was just some rare mineral, nothing that couldn't withstand a nuke or two... probably.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69193 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:43 pm »

Apparently someone broke into our neighbour's house and stole two bags of dried fruit and a bottle of beer, ignoring thousands of dollars worth of paintings and sculptures.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69194 on: February 07, 2015, 03:49:55 pm »

Ever post something and then instantly regret it?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4611 4612 [4613] 4614 4615 ... 10992