Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 300206 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1200 on: February 09, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

pls

I'm still trying to muster the willpower.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »

Actually, someone else posted, so there's a fourth one, if you're counting that.

Go Objective, critique those stories!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:55 pm »

Do any of you have advice on writing horror, specifically survival horror with the pov of a child?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 10, 2015, 09:14:13 am »

Speaking of which I might start copying and pasting bits of my survival/apocalypse/zombie/horror/other games for critiquing, I feel like I need better story telling in my games.
Would that be ok to do here?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 10, 2015, 10:20:03 am »

Do any of you have advice on writing horror, specifically survival horror with the pov of a child?

Can you expand on this a little?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 10, 2015, 05:42:44 pm »

Can you expand on this a little?
Its for a quest I want to run on the Sufficient Velocity forums and it's going to be focused on more... Otherworldly monsters. Things that are just wrong.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 10, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »

Lovecraftian?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 10, 2015, 07:50:56 pm »

Lovecraftian?
Sorta, but only if you really start delving deep. So long as the players only scratch the surface and don't mess around with the Geas or Circle (binding oneself with promises to try and resist fey creatures and borderline pagan superstition/habits/rites) too much they shouldn't take too high a SAN loss.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 10, 2015, 07:57:29 pm »

If you're going the eldritch horror theme, you want knowing too much to be more dangerous than knowing too little, and klnowing too little to be pretty deadly.

The opponent is greater than humanity, powerful, beyond comprehension - they should rarely be seen, and at most just enough to give hunts as to their nature. Instead, they utilise minions - twisted in form or not. Ordinary people should be sleeper agents, to give the notion that no one can be trusted.

Eldritch horror runs off the fear of the unknown. Don't explain things, but have a common thread between them. Recommended reading for good, strange horror.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:35 pm »

Things won't be explained, but there won't be too many minions. The beings in this will be relatively small-time; most won't have enough power to do much more than take a human form; they'll rely on trickery and the belief of children to do their work. The bigger ones will be a lot more dangerous though and a Deal With The Devil to get knowledge or help will be in the cards. Thanks for the link!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:30 pm »

Ooh, interesting. I'd also recommend reading some of Lovecraft's works - after all, he pioneered the genre. Haunter in the Dark I remember as a good one, Rats in the Walls, etc.

Also, could you shoot me a link once you've got the game set up? I'm interested in this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1211 on: February 11, 2015, 02:08:59 am »

Writing from the pov of a child is hard because kids see things in fundamentally different ways then adults. Here, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRF27F2bn-A

Thats pretty technical, yeah, but it should give you an idea of one of the major differences between adult perspective and children's perspective: Logic. The way a child thinks, plans and acts tends to be much more short sighted and much more easily influenced. They are not completely illogical, rather they simply have a sort of logic which makes leaps and connections that older people find difficult to comprehend. This is compounded by the fact that children are often oblivious to dangers they don't understand. Children do not understand death, they can't fear for their lives because the idea of dying isn't real to them, at least not really.  But they can fear pain; because that is a very primal and easy to comprehend thing. So a child that is watching the city it's in being bombed or burnt down won't care or be afraid until the noise hurts their ears or the smoke stings their eyes. Then they'll be afraid.

Likewise, children, especially in the toddler and a bit older range have a definite fear of the unknown. They are terrified of things they don't understand, even if those things aren't really causing them any problems. The classic example is the child which erupts into tearful hysterics when placed on santa's knee. The combination of separation from the parents and immersion in a completely incomprehensible and new environment with this big, strange thing talking at you is enough to cause a break down.

I want you to imagine for a moment what it is to be a 4 year old who gets lost in the mall. You are separated from your parents, from the things which are, to you, the source of life and comfort. You are plunged into a world in which the geometry and architecture resembles what you are familiar with- with the innards of the average American home- but is all together harsher and more angular, all glass, metal, concrete, humming halogen and muttering pop songs on the overhead speakers. The beings which are walking past you are several times your size and engaged in activities you don't understand, and they do these things with seeming apathy to you, ignoring you as they walk past. You want to go home, you want to find something familiar, you want to be safe, but all there is around you are things which you don't understand, which are just familiar enough to frustrate but alien enough to frighten.

To be a child, lost like that, is quite similar to lovecraft's idea of humanity as similarly trapped in places which we do not understand, crawling under the busily hurrying feet of vast beings which do not care for us one way or another.

Helplessness. Thats the key.

Oh and this is completely unrelated to the above, but I once wrote a Lovecraftian story about DF style dwarves exploring a fort which dug into the HFS. It may be something you could use, so steal from it if you want.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58081.msg1280853
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:12:20 am by piecewise »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 11, 2015, 03:01:31 am »

Contest Final Round-up

You know how the old-school depiction of hackers is that they always wear sunglasses, even though that makes no sense? And leather trenchcoats and stuff?

I had the idea that that was a type of memetic image that resulted in death to those who saw it. It could only be displayed on an image above certain resolutions.

The hacker's sunglasses are actually specially designed. They distort the memetic image enough it doesn't trigger the brain impulses that lead to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I made a setting. Look around you - how many big (or small) high definition (e.g above early CRT) screens do you have? What if they all suddenly showed an image that if you saw it, you died, convulsing? A lot of people would die. Coupled with an economy mainly moved off-world or to more advanced robotics, there's not many jobs available. Displays have regressed to old, crappy style, where there's no risk of malignant code displaying a screenshock image.

I'd appreciate a better name than screenshock, but it's the best i could come up with on short notice.

OH man, I was actually in the mood for cyberpunk. I feel like the story could elaborate more on the screenshock, though, since it plays a pretty important role in the story by providing the circumstance for it to happen in the first place. You didn't even explain what the screenshock is in the story. It just appear to me that all information I can glean is that it's a thing to do with people seeing stuffs and dying. The story didn't mention anything about it being memetic, nor it explain what caused it.

The protector prompt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The intro dream sequence was a bit confusing. You might want to just simply state that he was dreaming, since otherwise the reader is unsure what the story is actually about. Apart  from that, this was a solid story. For a moment I even thought the  girl would have been killed off, so personally I would say that a way to add more sense of urgency to the combat is to keep the in harm's way longer, if you want to.

Can we do both prompts in one?
Spoiler: Both prompts (click to show/hide)

I can only see this fulfilling the guardian prompt, since I don't really see any particular victory. I'm also particularly confused why the undead was suddenly put out of commission. Most parts of the story is solid, but like I said, a lot of the details are kind of confusing. Are the little girl's assailants human? I mean, they have arrows, but they also bit her? This really confuses me.

Results

• Th4DwArfY1
  • bahihs
  • GiglameshDespair
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:15 am »

Ooh, interesting. I'd also recommend reading some of Lovecraft's works - after all, he pioneered the genre. Haunter in the Dark I remember as a good one, Rats in the Walls, etc.

Also, could you shoot me a link once you've got the game set up? I'm interested in this.
Sure thing man.

-glorious amount of help-
Thanks!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:04 am »

Whilst I appreciate "winning," Objective, wasn't Arx in the running too?

Okay then!

Spoiler: Blood on an Axe (click to show/hide)

Both prompts. I'm not sure if the sad ending would have been better, and if the 'antagonist' has enough of a motive.

I think this is the only submission for the contest.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 130