Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698258 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7215 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »

I'm not sure how casting would work out (I think I need more examples to get a better feel of the various levels) but this makes me want to play a character called the Legomanic who does magic by playing or building with Legos.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7216 on: October 30, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »

Alcoholic obsession: Bursts into a bar, and yells "GIMME ALL YOUR HALF FINISHED DRINKS! RAAGH!"
"Finishes" 8 drinks in 8 sips.

Meanwhile, I make a Parkour obsession guy. Attempt a major spell, and leap several buildings in a single handstand.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: October 30, 2013, 07:34:02 pm »

I kind of want to do a tile-based military game loosely based on a loosely-put together idea I had for nanowrimo where i remove the full scale war and add a secretive, ongoing battle going on, where the enemy isn't quite of this world.

Take equal parts Shin Megami Tensei , X-COM Enemy Unknown, and... damnit the doritos stole my thoughts

You're part of the non-existent Division 6, a global military effort to stop demonic or otherworldly events from escalating beyond obscurity. The things you fight are deadly, and while you're somewhat used to... non-euclidean geometry, for one thing, the horrors can unhinge even the most mentally prepared. You may be equipped with the finest gear, have basic knowledge on all the kinds of demonic entities you may be up against, and years of training, but nothing prepares you for seeing a teammate sliced into pieces by inky, fractal tentacle creatures. Not even seeing it repeatedly.

---

This is mostly tile based, and different types of enemies provide different threats. Some will cause degrees of insanity if you look at them for too long, others are only mild trouble and may even want to discuss matters rather than fight. You'll be armed with everything you need; a list of the basics:
VISaR: Glasses with a technical overlay allowing different abilities depending on the programs loaded on. You may be able to weaken the maddening distortions of the otherworldly, or identify demons through illusions.
AMS: The Armored Movement System. Generally a set of legs, a strong body-armor core, and gauntlets. This will often set armor against certain kinds of attacks, your movement speed, inventory size, and chance for blocking vs chance of critical hits.
Weapon:Your weapon. Generally, this has three components:
Body: Affects damage range. A pistol won't be that great against a demigod.
Ammo: Bullets of different attributes can deal extra damage to targets weak to them- for instance, iron vs fae creatures.
Sight: Can change range of a gun, as well as seeing things clearly/less clearly depending on what you're aiming at.
---

Another idea I had was a build-your-own drone type of game, where you are free to create a body, propulsion, core, then things you can add, such as a camera or microphone, and there's no real goal- the only limitations are that you aren't allowed out of your house and you're trying to explore an entire city.

You'll get money for your performance, which is somewhat dependant on rolls, as well as possible sidequests. You've also got a base income.

Parts are made by one of 6 companies, though most companies won't make every part for a drone. Sometimes side quests involve certain company's parts, though most are free of restriction, it's all about going somewhere, doing something, and a little luck.

The maps in both cases will likely be in ASCII. I'll need to make all the equipment and enemy types for game 1 and it would take some time to run (it would last somewhat longer), whereas the other game is much easier in all regards and only requires the parts list.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: October 30, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »

Actually that drone game could be pretty fun, are we allowed to team up and rob banks?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: October 30, 2013, 10:36:19 pm »

Rolling a six in terms of timing, I'm looking to have the details on my proposed HL-inspired RTD ready damn near simultaneously with the end of college-application hell, part one* (notice a recurring theme in my posts? :P). That is, Friday.

Look for it then or Saturday morning.

*I still have a few to send out, but these are the low-tier ones where I'm pretty much guaranteed acceptance, EA or not.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »

I'm not sure how casting would work out (I think I need more examples to get a better feel of the various levels) but this makes me want to play a character called the Legomanic who does magic by playing or building with Legos.
Yeah, I'm going to rewrite the whole thing before I start it. The idea with magic is that Minors are small things that allow you to do mundane things differently or enhance other actions. To follow your Legomancer, he might be able to stack bricks on top of each other as if they were giant Lego bricks.
The significant spells are your 'fireball' level spells that you'd use to cause harm to someone (or something). Your Legomancer might thrown down some 2x2 Lego bricks or build a Lego gun that requires a magic check for every use.
The major spells are the big, crazy bullshit. Your Legomancer might summon a working, scale version of the one-handed transparent orange chainsaw or summon a faceless, brown, plastic monkey minion.

I'm actually looking at how this is turning out and thinking that 2D6 would be better for actions.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:03 pm »

Or he might put his hand into a cup of lego, find the exact piece he needs... and then do it again, and again, and again, sort of like the fire dude being able to light an empty lighter.
Eventually he'll have a full size mech of regular sized lego, out of a cup of the stuff. At which point he pulls a significant magic to animate it.
And people who can't imagine that think, "Oh, it's probably machinery, the lego is just a decorative shell."

Btw, knowledge from experience, 2x2 bricks DO hurt like nasty when you don't know they're there, but if you can see that someone's laid out a field of lego caltrops, apparently they don't hurt at all. It was such the perfect defense, until that flaw showed through. And when that anti-sibling mesurement failed, my parents made me clean it up. This was a few years back, though.

Also, parkour. Besides crazy jumps and flips, what would my magic be able to do?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: October 30, 2013, 11:51:52 pm »

(I expect it to be able to survive a massive fall from just rolling, or dodging bullets or other things like in the matrix.

More of a defensive type of obsession I would wager.)
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: November 01, 2013, 05:29:30 am »

Question: Why there no SUPA SENTAI WARRIOR ELEMENT ROLL TO UNITE?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:37 am »

Answer: if you feel the forum needs it and you can do it, make one. I, for one, would love to see something like that, but lack any proper expertise on the subject.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: November 01, 2013, 06:26:48 am »

Answer: if you feel the forum needs it and you can do it, make one. I, for one, would love to see something like that, but lack any proper expertise on the subject.
I suggest things here because I have found I am unable to run RTDs for any length of time. I'm currently running one and it updates about once a week. Which is abysmal really. I can PLAY things forever, but GMing isn't my strong suit unfortunately.

Note: if anyone makes SUPA SENTAI WARRIOR ELEMENT ROLL TO UNITE, I call dibs on a player slot :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »

I had the idea for a kinda-sorta RtD where players manipulate different biomes, and various creatures living in the area evolve, migrate, or die out. Six players, each with a specific goal and a general goal, are split into Good and Evil.

Good forces work to keep an area fit to live in, their general goal is to keep every biome capable of holding at least one species of animal. Evil forces work to cause a certain number of extinctions. Each player will have their own goal, such as keeping a certain species alive for the entire game, or making sure at least half of biomes have a certain trait, etc.

Species would evolve based on rolls- a 1 means that an adaption is gained that harms the species, a 2 and 3 means they fail to adapt, a 4 or 5 means they get a useful adaption, a 6 screws them over with an adaption that makes them worse off in a different area (A cold region species may gain very thick fur, but they're also easier to hunt now.)

---

I've also been considering an arena game based around a dynamic arena. Roll charts as follows:

Does something happen?
y/n
Where does it happen?
coordinate, or general area
What is it?
roll on big ass event table, determine what event wants from me
What does it want?
Roll for it- say, a gas spews up from the ground. A few rolls later and it's determined that it's a heavier-than-oxygen gas that stimulates plant growth and is toxic to humans.

The map is probably going to have three floors- there's going to be some buildings and walls, and possibly a window (allowing players to attack across z-levels.)

Players are given multiple items, up to 5 each in the categories Armor, Weapon, and Equipment (1+d4, then quality rolls)
Armor may give you abilities, more health, or resistance to types of attack, weapons have damage, range, and type, Equipment are things that don't really fit into any category.

If a player has over 3 items in any category or over 9 total, any more rolls will go to augment current items: for instance:
A player gets 2 Armors, 4 Weapons, and 4 Equipments.
This player will get one upgraded weapon and equipment.

Killing a player gets you a currently unnamed point. You can spend them on various things, and getting enough of them will even let you affect rolls (although never your own, mostly stagerolls.)
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7227 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:06 pm »

Has anyone ever had rules for chases or races in an RTD?

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »

I had the idea for a kinda-sorta RtD where players manipulate different biomes, and various creatures living in the area evolve, migrate, or die out. Six players, each with a specific goal and a general goal, are split into Good and Evil.

Good forces work to keep an area fit to live in, their general goal is to keep every biome capable of holding at least one species of animal. Evil forces work to cause a certain number of extinctions. Each player will have their own goal, such as keeping a certain species alive for the entire game, or making sure at least half of biomes have a certain trait, etc.

Species would evolve based on rolls- a 1 means that an adaption is gained that harms the species, a 2 and 3 means they fail to adapt, a 4 or 5 means they get a useful adaption, a 6 screws them over with an adaption that makes them worse off in a different area (A cold region species may gain very thick fur, but they're also easier to hunt now.)

---

I've also been considering an arena game based around a dynamic arena. Roll charts as follows:

Does something happen?
y/n
Where does it happen?
coordinate, or general area
What is it?
roll on big ass event table, determine what event wants from me
What does it want?
Roll for it- say, a gas spews up from the ground. A few rolls later and it's determined that it's a heavier-than-oxygen gas that stimulates plant growth and is toxic to humans.

The map is probably going to have three floors- there's going to be some buildings and walls, and possibly a window (allowing players to attack across z-levels.)

Players are given multiple items, up to 5 each in the categories Armor, Weapon, and Equipment (1+d4, then quality rolls)
Armor may give you abilities, more health, or resistance to types of attack, weapons have damage, range, and type, Equipment are things that don't really fit into any category.

If a player has over 3 items in any category or over 9 total, any more rolls will go to augment current items: for instance:
A player gets 2 Armors, 4 Weapons, and 4 Equipments.
This player will get one upgraded weapon and equipment.

Killing a player gets you a currently unnamed point. You can spend them on various things, and getting enough of them will even let you affect rolls (although never your own, mostly stagerolls.)
I could go with that kind of game, certainly seems very interesting if nothing else.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: November 02, 2013, 02:34:34 am »

Has anyone ever had rules for chases or races in an RTD?

The system I use for chases is that, when a chase is initiated, a sort of score is kept. It starts out at 0. Both the escapee and the pursuer get rolls for escape and pursuit, respectively. Then you subtract the pursuit roll from the escape roll, and add the result to the score. When the score reaches +3, the escapee escapes. If it reaches -3, they are caught.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

It's worked reasonably well for me, but there is the problem that it may result in overly long chases brought about by similar rolls. Requires fine-tuning, no doubt.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 661