Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248239 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1530 on: April 21, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »

But do you smoke after sex?

If so, you probably need (more) lube.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 21, 2018, 01:35:43 pm »

I just slow down bfore she starts smoking.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 23, 2018, 05:53:17 pm »

Breaking windnews: Uranus smells like farts.
Everything is as it should be.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 26, 2018, 07:37:12 am »

Japan engineers build a transformer car that turns into a robot - but with people inside it. It can drive, and also walk - but at only 100 meters per hour. Video. Not very practical, but it is a proof of concept.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:41:12 am by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 26, 2018, 09:29:56 am »

Japan engineers build a transformer car that turns into a robot - but with people inside it. It can drive, and also walk - but at only 100 meters per hour. Video. Not very practical, but it is a proof of concept.

And exactly what concept would that be, Reelya? To what possible use do you foresee transforming automobiles being put?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:29 am »

And exactly what concept would that be, Reelya? To what possible use do you foresee transforming automobiles being put?

Proof of concept that it can be done, even if just for the fun of it? I also notice that they left the support straps on, so, it must not be very stable, or maybe that's just standard safety procedure.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1537 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:23 am »

One of the use-cases being investigated for bipedal robots is search and rescue, traversing difficult terrain legs can't do. So in theory, if you get the speed up, you could have military vehicles that can enter all terrain mode to cover ground that currently needs foot-or-air deployment.

The logical next step is clearly putting giant swords in the hands to do battle in that rugged terrain. Then come the jetpacks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 26, 2018, 11:08:40 am »

When you need a bigger robot, because your enemy is suddenly much larger than before, get five or six smaller robots to reconfigure and attach together to form the larger one you now need.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 26, 2018, 01:03:34 pm »

Always thought it was amusing that people just hopped inside transformers which possess the innate ability (it's in the name even) in most cases to subject their occupants to varying degrees of horrific mutilation or a hopefully quick death at a moments notice.

*bownn-"oh god whyyy"-breern-"my legs where are my fucking legs"-bownn-"fucking why am I not dead blargh"-bownk-"the bulkhead that cut me in half is holding my guts in fucking end it you unutterable bastard!"-bowwnnn*
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:05:21 pm by Max™ »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 26, 2018, 01:56:44 pm »

Always thought it was amusing that people just hopped inside transformers which possess the innate ability (it's in the name even) in most cases to subject their occupants to varying degrees of horrific mutilation or a hopefully quick death at a moments notice.

*bownn-"oh god whyyy"-breern-"my legs where are my fucking legs"-bownn-"fucking why am I not dead blargh"-bownk-"the bulkhead that cut me in half is holding my guts in fucking end it you unutterable bastard!"-bowwnnn*

I suppose this is required:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:56 pm »

Proof of concept that it can be done, even if just for the fun of it? I also notice that they left the support straps on, so, it must not be very stable, or maybe that's just standard safety procedure.

Yup, the article points out possible uses, e.g. tourism, promotion and parades. Sure you can call those things "pointless", but a vast chunk of humanity's resources get spent on pointless for-fun things.

If someone builds one working "transformer" then other people will want to make better ones, which is why proof of concept models are important. They spur further development.

Also, in a future where bipedal robots have uses, but where we still have roads, you're going to need to move the robots around to different locations, and having them jog down the roads isn't a good solution. e.g. you're going to need specialized trucks and skilled staff to handle them. A bipedal robot that converts to a road-legal wheeled form might be more cost-effective in some use cases than the combination of bipedal robots and trucks. Similar to how a pure boat is better on water and a pure truck is better on land, but we still make amphibious vehicles which can work on both.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:44:44 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 01, 2018, 04:39:08 am »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:17 am »

Also, in a future where bipedal robots have uses, but where we still have roads

That sounds so utterly pointless you might be on to something... All hail the markets!
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 01, 2018, 05:21:18 am »

Also, in a future where bipedal robots have uses, but where we still have roads

That sounds so utterly pointless you might be on to something... All hail the markets!

Why? There are off-road areas and tasks where bipedal robots would be better than wheeled vehicles. But that definitely doesn't mean that bipedal robots become better than having roads in all possible use-cases. The robots will need to be transported - by road - to where they are needed, exactly the same as bipedal humans are transported by wheeled vehicles to do tasks that wheeled vehicles are not suited for.

e.g. if you have a large bipedal robot for some task then you might need to move them by road. Jogging for 100+km would not be cost-effective. So you'd need a truck to meet up with them and transport them along the flat-areas / roads. But ... what if the bipedal robot crosses a river then comes to a large flat area? They either walk the whole way, which is slow, or get wheeled transport, which is fast. But how do you get the truck across? Having a robot that can convert to a wheeled form would mean you don't need to work out how to get the truck to those locations.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:33:32 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 158