Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 682819 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #4935 on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:58 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:55:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: February 11, 2019, 01:20:02 pm »

I missed the global game jam.  Are there any other events coming up where people get together and quickly make a game?  Specifically around NYC (or online, or in the whole USA, or globally)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:54 pm »

Ludum dare starts in just under three month's time! That's a pretty big game jam.

E: also Alakajam is active and taking theme submissions for the jam on the 22nd!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:33:42 pm by Gentlefish »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: February 19, 2019, 02:02:16 am »

God, I can't remember the name of a something, and what I do remember about it are such bits and pieces even my google-fu is not powerful enough.

There was this semi-interactive online story I read max couple years ago, with the interactive part written in java, I think. You know, one of those that you scroll down to read more and some creative shit happens, animations, maps popping up, and whatnot.
It was this weird sci-fi thing that I think started with one of the Mars rovers or Voyagers (or other) talking to itself and/or losing power, and then shit transitioned (somehow) to people talking about some kind of futuristic geohashing (?) game or maybe it was about chasing tornadoes and/or other players across the US. The future world had very few people around, and they might have not been entirely mortal any more, just playing and spectating these weird games to kill time.
At one point there was something about city block planning, I think? I might be making half of it up, it's all a blur.
Very random, much overintelectualised.
I don't know what was the point of the story, since I never made it to the end. It wasn't short.
Oh, and it was linked to by somebody on this forum.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:04:06 am by Il Palazzo »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:12 am »

It was this weird sci-fi thing that I think started with one of the Mars rovers or Voyagers (or other) talking to itself and/or losing power
This is something I want to see

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: February 19, 2019, 10:15:27 am »

So, y'know how a lot of take-away food orders get padded out with a bunch of napkins? Well, it's quite rare that I manage to make enough of a mess to use up all of them at once, so there tends to be a hefty wad left over after we've finished eating. Generally, I like to hang on to them and put them away to have a backup of cheap napkins for whatever occasion might call for cheap napkins.

My question then is... Is this uncommon? The practice is apparently somewhat unpopular in this household, and I've attracted some ire for "hoarding junk". The preferred strategy seems to be to just throw out the unused napkins once we're done with the meal. I wanted to know how strange I was being, on a relative scale.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: February 19, 2019, 10:24:04 am »

I think it's pretty common, I certainly do it.  It's particularly nice to have a stash of napkins in the car.
My friends and I collect the sauce packets too, even though they're arguably less useful :P

But nah why throw away perfectly good napkins?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: February 19, 2019, 01:14:01 pm »

Having a few puttering around in the car or whatever is pretty normal,  from what I've seen, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: February 19, 2019, 04:04:17 pm »

So, y'know how a lot of take-away food orders get padded out with a bunch of napkins? Well, it's quite rare that I manage to make enough of a mess to use up all of them at once, so there tends to be a hefty wad left over after we've finished eating. Generally, I like to hang on to them and put them away to have a backup of cheap napkins for whatever occasion might call for cheap napkins.

My question then is... Is this uncommon? The practice is apparently somewhat unpopular in this household, and I've attracted some ire for "hoarding junk". The preferred strategy seems to be to just throw out the unused napkins once we're done with the meal. I wanted to know how strange I was being, on a relative scale.
Never seen this, but the general sentiment is common.  For me its always been the people I live with hording grocery bags instead of throwing them away.  At least you actually seem to have a plan to use those napkins.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: February 19, 2019, 04:21:58 pm »

It was this weird sci-fi thing that I think started with one of the Mars rovers or Voyagers (or other) talking to itself and/or losing power
This is something I want to see
There you go, found it:
https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: February 19, 2019, 05:28:30 pm »

Never seen this, but the general sentiment is common.  For me its always been the people I live with hording grocery bags instead of throwing them away.  At least you actually seem to have a plan to use those napkins.
I mean, I have a plan to use the mountain of grocery bags as well, but the "bag space" is already nearly full to bursting as it is... I try to use the reusable bags when possible, but it's not something I always remember to bring with me. I generally only throw away bags if they've had food leakage in them or if they're the sort of ultra thin, for his pleasure affairs that you know are going to fall apart the moment you have any sort of smelly or unpleasant trash in them.

But nah why throw away perfectly good napkins?

I'm not sure. I think it's because they're ugly/we're never really going to use them? So she'd rather have a blank space in the drawer than have a stack of napkins there. It's just not classy having repurposed takeout napkins next to the aluminum foil, you understand.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: February 19, 2019, 07:45:42 pm »

I keep grocery bags, but it's because they pack absurdly well into each other.  And every couple of months I take the compressed bags back to the grocery store for recycling.

...And because I hoard, and because they come in useful sometimes.  But they really don't take up much space, stuffed into each other, actual weeks worth are still just a breadbasket-size.

I should really be using reusable bags, but I grocery shop heavy rather than often.  Hm, would probably get me more interested in fresh perishables...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: February 19, 2019, 08:10:46 pm »

The reusable bags are generally made of sterner stuff than the plastic ones, letting them safely carry heavier and pointier loads. So there's that.

Like, we've got at least three "slightly-better plastic!" bags stuffed into a drawer right now. I think one was a promotional item from GF's job, the others were cheap at Ikea (which led to an absolutely hilarious altercation early on in the relationship, when my GF asked me to bring her "the Ikea bags", and I fetched the massive blue ones because I had grievously misinterpreted her message). The cloth ones are even beefier, but they do take up space.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: February 20, 2019, 12:43:59 am »

Back in the day before we had special bags for garbage purposes you had to save grocery bags to keep your trash in.

I'm assuming this is still true for places that don't do the garbage sorting thing that i think is why we do the special bags.
Love, scriver~

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: February 23, 2019, 12:41:52 am »

Anyone know where I can read roadside picnic online? I can download a pdf but I'm wanting to know if I can read it without downloading one.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 636