Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10980 10981 [10982] 10983 10984 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13439303 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164715 on: April 21, 2024, 07:17:05 am »

As such, my reaction is "And science is only just now starting to actively realize this, ---- because?"

My only explanation, is that there are such systemic biases toward human-centrism hard at work, preventing the long laundry list of findings stretching back over a century, from sinking in.  Mostly because accepting that reality, would mean changes in habits of personal consumption and behavior that are "unwanted."
I don't think it is, the findings being referenced aren't exactly super unique or new. Science's been actively realizing that for a long while now, it's just actually testing that kind of thing to hash out extent, limitations, and so on, is something that takes time and effort (and funding that's likely fairly scant when you're working on a subject that's both obvious and potentially troublesome if spelled out) that hasn't been invested sufficiently.

When it comes to science even obvious interactions need testing at some point, if for no other reason than the amount of times obvious observations turned out to be frikkin' wrong. Never forget humans are pretty bloody terrible at actually eyeballing what's going on with the world around them with much accuracy. We're decent at generalizations and working theories, really, really bad at getting the specifics right. Proper testing makes up for some of that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #164716 on: April 21, 2024, 09:35:48 am »

Today I took a national English competition , and here's an IQ question in it:

What is the largest "ant" in the world?

The answer is "elephant" , not "giant" .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164717 on: April 21, 2024, 09:39:52 am »

Which is silly, because the english answer to that is "planant" :V

misspelling something to make an obvious pun is like tuesday in this language
Ask not!
Ask!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164718 on: April 21, 2024, 09:49:41 am »

Are all tests in China like this? Like I'd have probably answered "giant" too if I even realized it's a trick question (though that was probably obvious from context...)
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #164719 on: April 21, 2024, 09:57:27 am »

What does  the ''planant" mean , I can't undestand it , does it mean the '' planet'' due to its pronunciation similarity?

Are all tests in China like this? Like I'd have probably answered "giant" too if I even realized it's a trick question (though that was probably obvious from context...)

Anyway  the answer is specifically the elephant , making it really disgusting , it is a national competition , why do the author of the question give us such a foolish question !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:02:39 am by zhijinghaofromchina »
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164720 on: April 21, 2024, 10:47:06 am »

What does  the ''planant" mean , I can't undestand it , does it mean the '' planet'' due to its pronunciation similarity?
Eeyup. It's planet said with an accent, basically. Planet -> Plan-ant.

Transcribed accents are a thing of wonder and terror, heh, especially when they're being deployed for purposes of being punny.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:48:48 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164721 on: April 21, 2024, 03:36:27 pm »

Well, one could argue that since giants don't really exist and elephants do, elephants are "in the world" while giants are not.

But then there's Antarctica.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164722 on: April 21, 2024, 03:57:00 pm »

We have a winner here!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #164723 on: April 22, 2024, 02:44:10 am »

Heh, that's not an IQ question, it's a small children's joke
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164724 on: April 22, 2024, 03:24:28 am »

We're gonna get more stuff like that in the United States, since a Children's Education provider just bought the ACTs, a college entrance exam.
Clearly, they need to give an edge to those who use their program, and stuff like the above will be the result.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164725 on: April 22, 2024, 07:18:26 am »

Whoa, lets get too fond of our current education system now.  The vast swathe of americans are sitting there making memes about how eager they are to forget basic algebra.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #164726 on: April 22, 2024, 09:34:14 am »

Whoa, lets get too fond of our current education system now.  The vast swathe of americans are sitting there making memes about how eager they are to forget basic algebra.
Why?

Though I once heard that you Americans don't like mathematics but it seeems strange to make memes about the basic algebra .

Tomorrow I had to catch up the school bus at 7 : 25 , today I finished a 3 kilometers' long-run test , the time I spent is 14:50 , interestingly, "1450" is a nickname for us to describe the traitors who works online to spread something harmful to our country .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164727 on: April 22, 2024, 09:40:54 am »

The meme is that we won't ever use a squared plus B squared not if we Are working class. Most low paying jobs, that don't require a college degree, don't give you enough freedom to need to use formulas

A lot of jobs just fall into a monotonous grind, when you do the same things over and over

p: there's a common belief that because of redundancy, it's less important for an individual Who can make errors to do that type of math, but it's important to know the concept and where the numbers come from. Kind of like a standardized template you know
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:44:23 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164728 on: April 22, 2024, 12:47:10 pm »

I mean, it's not just a meme, I've got accountancy training and algebra going that far was basically never used, not in the bookkeeping, only very rarely in the statistics involved, nearabout nowhere. The absolute basics of variables is useful on a lot of levels but a great deal of even algebra is just not particularly salient for even mid/relatively high level work unless you're in very specific fields, heh. Nevermind most of the stuff beyond it. Most number crunching in the field just doesn't need to square shit or be able to work backwards to find missing variables or whatever.

===

Any case, wtf today was some medical org sent me a 4 dollar bill. Called them up to find out, like, why (I make a point to pay in full at time of services if at all possible specifically because I really frikkin' hate dealing with bills), and they just said forget about it, which was like. Thanks, I guess? But why even send it to begin with?

Good chunk of the wtf is that I'm actually dealing with mailing quite a bit these days as part of work, mostly packages, but... still. Have a rough idea of the sort of costs involved and, just. By the time all the processing and crap is involved it's not impossible it would have cost them more than 4 bucks to deal with sending that mail and getting the money back. The ol' pound wise for that one would have been to not send that charge to begin with, include it in the upfront costs instead of trying to get less than 1/50th the cost of the service involved more like a month and a half later.

S'gotta' be some kind of corpo brainrot involved there, or they're selling what information they can scalp from the processing to someone else to make a little extra on the side, or something. Doesn't make a lick of sense unless there's something else going on than that 4 USD.
Ask not!
Ask!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164729 on: April 22, 2024, 12:49:42 pm »

I know that sociopaths tend to have poor impulse control, narcissism etc. but Jesus it's creepy when you see one just plainly admitting to doing something horrific. Just stand there and say, matter-of-fact, "Yeah I tortured someone to death" or something and go into detail as if they were reading a shopping list.

I just can't understand it. I know the literal ideas behind what's going on in their heads, but it's like my sense of empathy just can't stretch far enough to see the world through eyes like that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 10980 10981 [10982] 10983 10984 ... 10988