Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1614988 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13140 on: February 27, 2016, 05:15:18 am »

It usually isn't too big a deal; the blinking keeps things scattered so you're relatively unlikely to be surrounded, and your shield+reflection is preventing any ranged damage from them. I wouldn't try it on a softer melee class though; keep it to things like trolls, gargoyles, minotaurs, etc. who can take a beating. Also, copious amounts of tab. I can picture this getting annoying if you prefer manual play or aim to minimize turns.
Loosely related; my current computer doesn't have a numpad, and DCSS has some odd mouse behavior.  So tab is kinda a lifesaver for me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: February 27, 2016, 08:28:29 am »

First person to respond gets to decide what I play next. Note that it's pretty pointless if I die early because you asked me to play a felid warrior.

Name the race, class, and god.

Kobold venom mage, Fedhas

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: February 27, 2016, 09:30:41 am »

b-but felid warrior ;-;
thincake

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: February 27, 2016, 11:47:34 am »

Actual answer if you don't want to do Kobold Venom, Felid Berserker. It's just so mind-numbingly simple to play, and really makes you appreciate the choices that not-felid not-berserkers have.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: February 27, 2016, 03:58:45 pm »

Actual answer if you don't want to do Kobold Venom, Felid Berserker. It's just so mind-numbingly simple to play, and really makes you appreciate the choices that not-felid not-berserkers have.

Oh MY, they have nothing. Reminds me of when I was dead set on troll monks, except resembling something more like a loaf of white bread than a brick wall. Though interestingly potent.

Unrelated, is there any other way to drink a potion without using the-letter-after-p? Otherwise, I might find myself confined to mummy runs until I get off of this laptop. -_-
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »

I always wonder: how do Felids survive past the lair?  Not that I've gotten that far with one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:15 pm »

I always wonder: how do Felids survive past the lair?  Not that I've gotten that far with one.

I've played a couple modestly good Felid games[Haven't gotten any runes though, usually dying in the Lair branch rune-vault] and I can say that there are a few major ways:

1: Stealth/Hexes. Felids are stealthy, quick and have good aptitudes for both of these. Especially if you worship Dith, you can easily stab your way through Lair and farther.

2: Summoning. Felids have a decent Summonings aptitude. Summon Ice Beast alone carries them through Lair pretty easily. Past that, it gets trickier, but I've had decent success with Felids using Summoning.

3: Zerking. Felid berserkers are [un]surprisingly robust. Against a hydra or something, you pray to the RNG your Dodging doesn't fail you and go ham. You could probably get past Lair fine, although I'm not sure how much further you'd go.

4: Evocations. Nemelex or maybe this new one, Pakellas, both give Felids pretty good firepower/utility. Plus this doesn't require as much investment and is usually comboed with one of the above.

5: Transmutations. I've never personally gotten a Felid Transmuter off the ground, but Transmutations could do a lot to make up for a Felid's innate weaknesses. The Lair and Mines would probably actually be the hardest part for a FeTm, honestly. You'd probably have to make heavy use of Sticks to Snakes to swarm dangerous enemies, since Blade Pawsing and going full ham is usually fatal. After that though, you'll most likely have access to at least some of the higher-level Transmutations[Statue/Dragon Form]. And Spider Form & high speed will suffice for earlier in the Dungeon.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: February 27, 2016, 04:39:46 pm »

Fun fact: (afaik) the fastest 3 rune run was done by a bot playing a Felid Berserker. Turns out it's so simple a robot can do it, and it only takes a couple hours.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: February 27, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »

How the hell does a felid berserker win at crawl? There's no way they would have survived draconian scorchers.

EDIT: Should have read Arcvasti's post. Still doesn't explain how they handle scorchers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:09:44 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:56 pm »

I mean its a bot, so it could just play repeatedly until things go its way.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »

I thought felids couldn't use wands?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: February 27, 2016, 08:21:15 pm »

I thought felids couldn't use wands?
Used to not be able to. As of .14, they can.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: February 27, 2016, 08:35:18 pm »

Sorry for double post, but I'm curious. How well would worshipping Oka as a spellcaster work? I know he's normally considered melee-only, but his gifts will definitely help in getting that *perfect* robe much earlier and make getting the coveted well-branded or even artifact speedblade a lot easier. Heroism increases spellcasting skills too, serving as a sort of instant Brilliance, so you could get spells like Fire Storm, Glaciate, Tornado, or even just Haste and Deflect Missiles at castable chances relatively early with the cost of a little hunger, piety, and a bit of extra MP. Finesse would likely prove a lifesaver for when you absolutely do have to get into melee, allowing a stabber with a decent weapon to attack at lightning speed. His appreciate and depreciate lists are easily compatible, only consisting of "kill doods" (if anything easier with a caster than a melee tank once you're situated) on appreciate and "don't kill allies" on depreciate alongisde decay, which only really limits summoning. On top of that, his ammunition gifts can serve as a great backup for when you run out of MP.

Could casting with Oka work? Or am I crazy?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »

Sorry for double post, but I'm curious. How well would worshipping Oka as a spellcaster work? I know he's normally considered melee-only, but his gifts will definitely help in getting that *perfect* robe much earlier and make getting the coveted well-branded or even artifact speedblade a lot easier. Heroism increases spellcasting skills too, serving as a sort of instant Brilliance, so you could get spells like Fire Storm, Glaciate, Tornado, or even just Haste and Deflect Missiles at castable chances relatively early with the cost of a little hunger, piety, and a bit of extra MP. Finesse would likely prove a lifesaver for when you absolutely do have to get into melee, allowing a stabber with a decent weapon to attack at lightning speed. His appreciate and depreciate lists are easily compatible, only consisting of "kill doods" (if anything easier with a caster than a melee tank once you're situated) on appreciate and "don't kill allies" on depreciate alongisde decay, which only really limits summoning. On top of that, his ammunition gifts can serve as a great backup for when you run out of MP.

Could casting with Oka work? Or am I crazy?

It could work, although there are flat-out better options. Heroism doesn't boost magic skills, though. Going Okawaru for the gifts alone seems sub-par. Oka's gifts, the vast majority of the time, are absurdly shitty. Getting a nice weapon or randart COULD happen, but its not likely you'll get more then two or three throughout the whole game. Makhleb would probably work better,  if you're looking for an unconventional god choice. Ru or Gozag would probs work too[Especially since the latter can get you guaranteed book shops]. hMMM, I haven't actually tried a Makh mage run. I should do that. For science.

Firestorm in particular used to be bad for Oka, as you'd lose piety from the fire vortices dying. Don't think that's the case anymore (are fire vortices still allied?), but still, it's just not optimal.

Fire vortices don't seem to count as allies for god wrath porpoises. TSO doesn't seem to mind if you attack them, so I don't think Okawaru will mind if they die.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: February 27, 2016, 09:10:34 pm »

According to the wiki, heroism doesn't work on magic skills.  I guess there is *some* build that doesn't benefit from Oka :P

I actually got quite far as a caster worshiping Oka.  Specifically a centaur arcane marksman.  That being said, I would not characterize casting as the primary role of that setup.  You could also probably get some mileage out of a hybrid stealth build using branded darts, but I'm not sure what that build would want magic for.  Oka reliably gives piles of branded ammunition, his other gifts are hit or miss.  At ****** piety with an amulet of faith you'll eventually get SOMETHING you like, but its not a strategy to lean on.
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 990