Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6192 6193 [6194] 6195 6196 ... 13314

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14927088 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [Pyon] Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh? (Happy Thread)
« Reply #92895 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:17 pm »

A generation ship would also need to either have far more space than the starting population requires or alternatively force restrictions on the number of children each individual can be responsible for.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92896 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »

well, I had a conversation with my friend about the warp drive.

to alter space-time, you can just use gravity. this means that if you could find some way of producing higgs bosons, you could do one part of the bending space-time.

if you then use dark energy to bend space-time the other way, if it works like that, you could, potentially, get a warp drive.

but there's probably something shitting on my theory.

Do you have any idea how fucking cool your post sounds if you read it out loud?

Also, this is a bit... NSFW? My LF told me today that I have, 'A firm ass.' Then she was like, "Can I feel it?" It was a strange day. This is one of many things she said today that messed with me.
Well? Did you let her? I totally would have.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #92897 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:49 pm »

more relevant image for my previous post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: also, I've accepted that in all likelihood, if we do explore out of our system, it'll be via generation ships or, if possible, cryostasis.

A friend of mine pointed out a flaw with generation ships that I never thought of before. By the time the ship reached it destination, or at least by the time the colony was able to send people back for trading, the colonists would have diverged evolutionary so much that they might not be recognizable as human. Humans evolved to live on a rotating planet with gravitation acceleration equal to 9.81 m/s/s downwards at sea level, and gradually decreasing as altitude increases. We did not evolve to live on a spaceship, potentially with artificial gravity that would not imitate Earth's gravity well, but probably with near-zero gravity, flying though space, not rotating. Just those differences alone would create some distinct adaptations in the people on the generation ships.

And then there's the fact that they will inevitably be horribly inbred, unless occupants are carefully selected to ensure that the gene pool is as diverse as possible. But, that would cause other problems, namely the fact that the occupants' life partners and future families are being picked for them, instead of by them. People tend to not like that.

India seems to have no problem with the whole arranged marriage thing, and if I recall correctly some studies done on relationship satisfaction have actually shown that those relationships are pretty decent. The being inbred problem would certainly arise, but the main concern I have about generation ships is how long they would have to last. Oxygen causes a lot of problems when it's around anything, and I find it hard to believe that we as a species could create something built to last for that long.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92898 on: November 01, 2012, 10:25:46 pm »

Well? Did you let her? I totally would have.

Yes.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92899 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92900 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »

Why don't we freeze like, thousands and thousands of samples of sperm and eggs from around the world, and send an A.I. to do it?

That way, people don't have to spend the rest of their life in space, and their descendants lives, and so on, and so on. (YOU try finding a stable gene-pools worth of people willing to go into a generation ship.) AND we don't need to worry about resources beyond fuel and energy (For the ship and sample preservation systems)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92901 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:51 pm »

I've never had something like that happen. I blushed so hard I think I leaked a little blood from my facial capillaries.

Also, we were checking this chick out, and I mentioned how she had freckles and they were hot, and my LF said, 'Do I have freckles?' And I said, "Yeah, a few." Then she said, 'I've got some on my shoulder here, does that make you [Yeah, redacted]?' And the answer was yes. Dear god woman. >.<

Apologies to anyone offended by sexual content, this isn't my intention. This stuff made me legitmately happy today.

Why don't we freeze like, thousands and thousands of samples of sperm and eggs from around the world, and send an A.I. to do it?

That way, people don't have to spend the rest of their life in space, and their descendants lives, and so on, and so on. (YOU try finding a stable gene-pools worth of people willing to go into a generation ship.) AND we don't need to worry about resources beyond fuel and energy (For the ship and sample preservation systems)

Two words: Computer Glitches.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #92902 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »

Aww yeah Hans! Getting groped by people who probably have no interest in you, but sure as hell don't act like it!

Speaking of awkward situations with people of no romantic interest, I had to practice placing EKG electrodes on my coworker the other day. Apparently bone conducts the signal the best, so we place the electrodes just under the clavicle and then down where your hip bone is. So basically it involves pulling down someone's shirt and pants, then spending time applying gel and rubbing a sticker while attempting to be as professional as possible.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92903 on: November 01, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »

I've never had something like that happen. I blushed so hard I think I leaked a little blood from my facial capillaries.

Also, we were checking this chick out, and I mentioned how she had freckles and they were hot, and my LF said, 'Do I have freckles?' And I said, "Yeah, a few." Then she said, 'I've got some on my shoulder here, does that make you [Yeah, redacted]?' And the answer was yes. Dear god woman. >.<

Apologies to anyone offended by sexual content, this isn't my intention. This stuff made me legitmately happy today.

* MaximumZero highfives Hans.

Two words: Computer Glitches.
That would be the worst computer crash ever.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92904 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »

Because having an AI with an age measured in centuries or millennia is a good thing to have raising tens of thousands of children. Even if it isn't crazy and doesn't break down, that'll be an, uh, interesting society.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92905 on: November 01, 2012, 10:33:12 pm »

* Hanslanda returns high five.

And yeah, she almost certainly isn't interested in me like that. But still, this is the most female attention I've had in years.
He's fucking with us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92906 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:31 pm »

Well, any space-ship would need a computer ANYWAY, so which is worse? A glitch in a ship that's basically a giant orgasm floating through space, or a glitch in a ship with actual PEOPLE who for tens of generations have been waiting to get to a planet and get their colonization on?

I think it speaks for itself.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92907 on: November 01, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »

And yeah, she almost certainly isn't interested in me like that. But still, this is the most female attention I've had in years.
Uh, most people don't grab your butt if they're not interested in you at all. Just sayin'.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #92908 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »

Hell Hans, that is downright tame compared to some of the stuff we talk about round here.

When I was younger, thinner and had a short haircut, the the most butch woman I ever met (her name was Luke, and she was former army,  former police, former prison guard in both a mens and womens prison) once ran her fingers through my hair and whispered in my ear what a pretty girl I would make.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:52:44 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92909 on: November 01, 2012, 10:38:53 pm »

Uh, most people don't grab your butt if they're not interested in you at all. Just sayin'.

But she says it all the time. :P Although sometimes it sounds a little more like she's trying to convince herself than me. :X I know she's gay and just my friend, that's okay with me. Unless she does something that makes me excited, then I'll probably be unable to not try to sleep with her. But I think that's kind of understandable, if she did start it.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 6192 6193 [6194] 6195 6196 ... 13314