Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651778 times)

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Poll added!
« Reply #1905 on: November 07, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »

I wrecked the Elite 4! Whooooo...ooo? It kinda feels hollow this time, considering I had pokemon around level 80 without going out of my way to grind. :P

Anyway, I'll leave my game online a bit if anyone wants to pick up the third poke in my safari. I'm Takuma in game.

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1906 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:20 pm »

So, now that I've beaten the game and started to try my hand at Pokemon breeding... what are these IV things that everyone's talking about? All I know is it stands for "Individual Values" or something. Are they like random stat boosts that your Pokemon have? How do you know if they have them, apart from memorizing the stats of every Pokemon in the game at every level with every nature? How do they affect breeding?

Also, about breeding: Do you need to breed two Pokemon of the exact same species? Or are there related groups of Pokemon species that can interbreed? And how do you breed Pokemon that come in only one gender, or are genderless?

Oh, and that reminds me. Is there any way to see what your Pokemon's stats "would be" at level 50, so you can compare your Pokemon on an even keel when it comes to online battles? Can I just divide my Pokemon's stats by their level, then multiply by 50, or are stat gains nonlinear?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:53:39 pm by ekolis »
Charizard uses Kafrizzle! The Wizard of Yendor faints! The party gained 500 gil!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 07, 2013, 11:12:57 pm »

Okay.

Basically, the whole purpose of breeding is to get "perfect" pokemon. This simply means maximizing stats.

Your pokemon have three stats, one of them is hidden.

1. You have base stats, which are the most important. Base stats are unchanging, constant values between all pokemon of that species. So a Steelix will always have a bare minimum of 200 defense at level 100. Whenever you look at stats on Bulbapedia or the like, they will show the base stats.

2. After this you have Effort Values or EV. Think of this as stats on top of base stats. Every 4 EV = 1 base stat. So if you have a Steelix with 4 EV in defense, it will have 201 defense at level 100. You can have a maximum of 510 EVs, with a maximum of 255 EV per stat. Basically the best EV defense trained Steelix will have 264 defense.

3. Finally you have the infuriating Individual Values or IV. These are hidden stats buried inside each pokemon. 1 IV = 1 base stat, so a Steelix with 1 IV in defense will have 201 defense at level 100. If it had 1 IV and 4 EV in defense, it would have 202 defense at level 100. Each stat has its own IV value to a max of 31 per stat, which is why everyone wants 31 IV pokemon. This is determined at birth and the only way to improve it is for selective breeding.

So to summarize, a "perfect defense" Steelix will have the following:

200 Def + 64 EV Def + 31 IV Def = 295 Def Total.

Then there's natures but that's not really related to IVs. If you want to know more about how to breed for IV, look here: http://i.imgur.com/NtqXPT6.jpg

--------------------

If you need to know what your pokemon's stats are for online, just search that pokemon on Google, look at it's base stats and go from there. Add however many EVs you put into it (preferably you EV trained it properly, so you should know this number. It's probably something simple like 255 EV anyway.) IV is really inconsequential in the big picture. A Snorlax with 31 IV def will still die in one hit to high jump kick compared to one with 20 IV def. Just take it to the pokemon judge in the end game town and as long as he doesn't say something has horrible stats, you're fine.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 08, 2013, 12:44:08 am »

So, now that I've beaten the game and started to try my hand at Pokemon breeding... what are these IV things that everyone's talking about? All I know is it stands for "Individual Values" or something. Are they like random stat boosts that your Pokemon have? How do you know if they have them, apart from memorizing the stats of every Pokemon in the game at every level with every nature? How do they affect breeding?

Also, about breeding: Do you need to breed two Pokemon of the exact same species? Or are there related groups of Pokemon species that can interbreed? And how do you breed Pokemon that come in only one gender, or are genderless?

Oh, and that reminds me. Is there any way to see what your Pokemon's stats "would be" at level 50, so you can compare your Pokemon on an even keel when it comes to online battles? Can I just divide my Pokemon's stats by their level, then multiply by 50, or are stat gains nonlinear?

Take a hatched pokemon, and put it in an online battle. That'll raise it to 50, which will let you get their basic stats, unchanged by EV.
Then, take it to the pokemon centre in Kiloude Town, where there is a guy who judges the 'potential' of your pokemon.

If he says that a stat can't be beat, that generally means it has a perfect IV in it.
For each pokemon, it's easy to assume which IV is best for it - eg, a glass cannon like Alakazam only needs good SpAtk and Speed IV, and as low Attack IV as possible (lower your attack, less damage from confusion, though special glass cannons don't really last long enough for confusion).

Baby pokemon found in the wild, and pokemon hatched from eggs are always guaranteed to have at least two perfect IVs. Same with the level 30 mons you get from Friend Safari. They're all guaranteed to have to perfect IVs.

Now, you also want to make sure they have the correct nature. This is probably the most important part - a low IV, well EV'd, beneficial natured pokemon can perform better than a high IV, well EV'd neutral natured one.

What natures do is raise one stat by 10% and drop another by 10%. HP is not factored into this.
EG: Brave raises attack, but lowers speed.
Adamant raises attack, but lowers special attack. This is good on pokemon that don't use special attack at all, eg Rhyperior or Excadrill.

For each stat (atk/spatk/spdef/def/speed) there is a stat that boosts it, and drops one of the others.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 08, 2013, 04:51:28 am »

Still haven't got myself a copy. :(
Hopefully somewhere will have the game in stock by the time I get paid. Otherwise I might have to buy the game via the Nintendo store or something equally ludicrous... Are there any downsides to doing so?

So long as you have the space for it. My 3DS came with a 2GB SD card and Pokemon Y was around 1.75 GB, so...

16GB SD cards are cheap enough, though, so I picked one up and put a few other downloaded things on it.

Thanks, I might end up doing that, then. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: November 08, 2013, 07:27:43 pm »

Also of note for the IV thing above: "base stats" in Super training are EVs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 08, 2013, 07:44:20 pm »

I have added everyone's FC on the first post and beat the storyline. Only had trouble with the Water- and Steel-themed Elite 4 members, rest were really easy. Did consecutive OHKOs against the Champ, lol.

Could anyone check what's my third Pokemon is?

Trying to build my team now, am I thinking this the right way:

Step 1: Choose tier (Uber, OU, UU, etc.)
Step 2: Choose a central theme or Pokemon in that tier (e.g. Rain Team, Sun Team)
Step 3: Choose the Pokemon in the team
Step 4: Breed!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 08, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »

I really want to build a NU team around an Infestation/Toxic stalling Shuckle. Does anyone have a good Contrary one? I have a couple more 4 IV Adamant Honedges.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 08, 2013, 08:03:25 pm »

Is anyone free to help me trade a Rhydon so I can complete my pokedex?

Edit: I was rummaging through the friend safaris and I found out that Kecleon's hidden ability is also Protean. Goddamn. Now I can have two Protean users on my team.

Edit edit: Holy shit Weirdsound. That was a damn fun match. Also, how the fuck did you dodge my 100% accuracy grass knot?!

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »

That was me again. Monstro usually wears a brightpowder to the battle maison, and I just forgot to take it off. Sorry bout that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »

That was me again. Monstro usually wears a brightpowder to the battle maison, and I just forgot to take it off. Sorry bout that.
No no, I just thought it was awesome. Such a clutch save.

By the way, can you help me retrade my Rhydon?

Edit: Thanks!

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1916 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »

Take a hatched pokemon, and put it in an online battle. That'll raise it to 50, which will let you get their basic stats, unchanged by EV.

Wait, online battles don't use EV? They only use base stats and IV? Also, I thought they only lowered Pokemon above 50, and didn't raise Pokemon below 50...

Then, take it to the pokemon centre in Kiloude Town, where there is a guy who judges the 'potential' of your pokemon.

If he says that a stat can't be beat, that generally means it has a perfect IV in it.

Oh, yeah, that guy! I was wondering why he sometimes said my Pokemon had awesome values in stats that were only mediocre... it must be that they had awesome IV's but low base values? (E.g. a Shuckle with an awesome IV in Attack will still have crappy Attack!)

For each pokemon, it's easy to assume which IV is best for it - eg, a glass cannon like Alakazam only needs good SpAtk and Speed IV, and as low Attack IV as possible (lower your attack, less damage from confusion, though special glass cannons don't really last long enough for confusion).

Wait, so high stats aren't necessarily better? Some attacks are more effective against mons with high stats? Or do you just mean "The critter is confused! It hurt itself in its confusion!"?

Baby pokemon found in the wild, and pokemon hatched from eggs are always guaranteed to have at least two perfect IVs. Same with the level 30 mons you get from Friend Safari. They're all guaranteed to have to perfect IVs.

By "baby" wild Pokemon, do you mean particularly low level ones? Unevolved ones? Or wild Pokemon in general?

Now, you also want to make sure they have the correct nature. This is probably the most important part - a low IV, well EV'd, beneficial natured pokemon can perform better than a high IV, well EV'd neutral natured one.

What natures do is raise one stat by 10% and drop another by 10%. HP is not factored into this.

EG: Brave raises attack, but lowers speed.

Adamant raises attack, but lowers special attack. This is good on pokemon that don't use special attack at all, eg Rhyperior or Excadrill.

For each stat (atk/spatk/spdef/def/speed) there is a stat that boosts it, and drops one of the others.

Yeah, I figured out what natures do based on poking around in the Pokedex search feature or some other menu thingy... it's not explained all that well otherwise! Good to know that it's 10% though.
Charizard uses Kafrizzle! The Wizard of Yendor faints! The party gained 500 gil!

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1917 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »

Okay.

Basically, the whole purpose of breeding is to get "perfect" pokemon. This simply means maximizing stats.

Your pokemon have three stats, one of them is hidden.

1. You have base stats, which are the most important. Base stats are unchanging, constant values between all pokemon of that species. So a Steelix will always have a bare minimum of 200 defense at level 100. Whenever you look at stats on Bulbapedia or the like, they will show the base stats.

Do stats scale linearly with level? For instance, let's say I have a level 80 Pokemon with 200 attack, and a level 40 Pokemon with 100 attack. When they get converted to level 50 for an online battle, will they both have 125 attack?

2. After this you have Effort Values or EV. Think of this as stats on top of base stats. Every 4 EV = 1 base stat. So if you have a Steelix with 4 EV in defense, it will have 201 defense at level 100. You can have a maximum of 510 EVs, with a maximum of 255 EV per stat. Basically the best EV defense trained Steelix will have 264 defense.

These scale linearly with level as well, so I've heard?

3. Finally you have the infuriating Individual Values or IV. These are hidden stats buried inside each pokemon. 1 IV = 1 base stat, so a Steelix with 1 IV in defense will have 201 defense at level 100. If it had 1 IV and 4 EV in defense, it would have 202 defense at level 100. Each stat has its own IV value to a max of 31 per stat, which is why everyone wants 31 IV pokemon. This is determined at birth and the only way to improve it is for selective breeding.

And are these level dependent like base stats and EV, or are they raw bonuses that apply at any level? (+31 to a stat would be awesome at level 1! And I haven't seen any Pokemon with that many points at level 1, so I kinda doubt it...)

Then there's natures but that's not really related to IVs. If you want to know more about how to breed for IV, look here: http://i.imgur.com/NtqXPT6.jpg

Thanks, that looks a bit spoilery though. All I'm looking for is an idea of what happens when you breed two Pokemon - are their stats averaged? Is it completely random? Averaged with a random fuzz value? And is it ever possible to breed two different species of Pokemon together? Because that would be awesome, if you could make a Pokemon inherit a move from one of its parents that it couldn't normally learn... :D

If you need to know what your pokemon's stats are for online, just search that pokemon on Google, look at it's base stats and go from there. Add however many EVs you put into it (preferably you EV trained it properly, so you should know this number. It's probably something simple like 255 EV anyway.) IV is really inconsequential in the big picture. A Snorlax with 31 IV def will still die in one hit to high jump kick compared to one with 20 IV def. Just take it to the pokemon judge in the end game town and as long as he doesn't say something has horrible stats, you're fine.

Oh, so IV isn't really that big a deal compared to base stats and EV then? Yeah, I guess that would make sense; don't want to completely imbalance the game, just let players have fun fine-tuning their teams!

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #1918 on: November 08, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »

I have added everyone's FC on the first post and beat the storyline. Only had trouble with the Water- and Steel-themed Elite 4 members, rest were really easy. Did consecutive OHKOs against the Champ, lol.

Heh, I had no trouble with the Water guy, due to having a Venusaur as my secondary mon :D Figured since I picked Fennekin at the start, then I should pick something that can defeat all those pesky water Pokemon that were giving a hard time for my second! Consecutive one-hits on the champ, though? Nice! I only had trouble with the Steel guy (he did have that pesky Dark, or maybe Rock, Pokemon that kept doing a number on my Delphox before I could get to that annoying Aegislash) and the champion, who... gah! fairy! What the heck are fairies supposed to be weak to?! At least Lucario had Dragon Pulse and I knew somehow that dragons are weak to dragon moves!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »

Seriously, everything you need to know is linked inside that guide I posted. There's no spoilers inside unless you're only 10 minutes into the game or you've never seen a Ditto or a Honedge before.

And your pokemon don't get automatically leveled to 50 in online battles. They get reduced to 50 if you're above, if not they'll be at whatever level they were. Yeah, all stats scale linearly so there's no difference in EV training regardless of level.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 463