Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Adventurer Fort: still useful i guess  (Read 141880 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer fort reborn!
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2015, 04:09:46 pm »

Having never survived long enough to enjoy that^ before I was able to unintentionally see how fun it is with my fireimmune_super race after I tacked on the dragonfire interaction and accidentally the whole forest retreat a couple times.

Rain does it as well, lots of "you are caught in a burst of steam!" and "you are caught in a boiling cloud of whatever awful crap it is elves have inside their smelly bodies!" messages.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2015, 03:45:29 pm »

Carving Tracks has "up" and "down" switched around.

Easily fixed at line #322 in advfort.lua:

function SetCarveDir(args)
    local job=args.job
    local pos=args.pos
    local from_pos=args.from_pos
    local dirs={down=18,up=19,right=20,left=21}
    if pos.x>from_pos.x then
        job.item_category[dirs.right]=true
    elseif pos.x<from_pos.x then
        job.item_category[dirs.left]=true
    elseif pos.y>from_pos.y then
        job.item_category[dirs.up]=true
    elseif pos.y<from_pos.y then
        job.item_category[dirs.down]=true
    end
end

From what I could see that function is only used for carving tracks, so it doesn't affect anything else.

Besides that, is there a way to remove tracks?

Oh, and I was trying to figure out whether I could trap a creature via a cage trap, so far I got a dirty work-around for (building* and) arming (cage) traps without seeing them, but the Flesh Ball Recruit that walked into it didn't get caught.
* No workaround needed: you can BUILD them without seeing them easily; but to put a cage (ARMING) in them you need to stand on the square and "interact", which results in you seeing (and disarming?!) it.
Hadn't had any other creature try "invading" my vulcano, so...no idea if the trap works or not or what. Any idea?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:06:38 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2015, 05:19:39 pm »

Carving Tracks has "up" and "down" switched around.

Easily fixed at line #322 in advfort.lua:

function SetCarveDir(args)
    local job=args.job
    local pos=args.pos
    local from_pos=args.from_pos
    local dirs={down=18,up=19,right=20,left=21}
    if pos.x>from_pos.x then
        job.item_category[dirs.right]=true
    elseif pos.x<from_pos.x then
        job.item_category[dirs.left]=true
    elseif pos.y>from_pos.y then
        job.item_category[dirs.up]=true
    elseif pos.y<from_pos.y then
        job.item_category[dirs.down]=true
    end
end

From what I could see that function is only used for carving tracks, so it doesn't affect anything else.

Besides that, is there a way to remove tracks?

Oh, and I was trying to figure out whether I could trap a creature via a cage trap, so far I got a dirty work-around for (building* and) arming (cage) traps without seeing them, but the Flesh Ball Recruit that walked into it didn't get caught.
* No workaround needed: you can BUILD them without seeing them easily; but to put a cage (ARMING) in them you need to stand on the square and "interact", which results in you seeing (and disarming?!) it.
Hadn't had any other creature try "invading" my vulcano, so...no idea if the trap works or not or what. Any idea?

oh a good workaround would be to use the capture/pokeball scripts then rewrite the trigger on those to be on attack or what ever. Then you just build a weapon trap that will activate and capture folks

a good workaround is to add a cursor function for buildings so you can look at a building and gain access to their reactions.
hmm then again I kinda bypass cage traps with the Pokeball/druid cagelauncher script does the same job but with less fuss.
also caged units don't usually stay in cages and there's a random chance of them getting out.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »

a good workaround is to add a cursor function for buildings so you can look at a building and gain access to their reactions.
hmm then again I kinda bypass cage traps with the Pokeball/druid cagelauncher script does the same job but with less fuss.
also caged units don't usually stay in cages and there's a random chance of them getting out.
Yeah, my workaround allows me to interact with the trap by "looking" at it. The way I did it is not a good solution though...
Anyway, tried figuring out how your traps are made so that they are not disarmed immediatly you see them, but hm...no idea so far. I hope this can be done at some point.

Maybe I have to look into the "Pokeball" script, even though connecting Dwarf Fortress and Pokemon, even if it just a name makes me go "uggghhh...waaaah"...

Besides that, how is a fleshy ball of flesh able to break out of a cage? It can't even open doors!
Hm...thinking about that, that's probably the reason why my game slows down to a crawl every now and then, because something tries to pathfind to me but can't.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2015, 01:59:10 am »

Huh... i thought cage traps were disabled, all other types got insta-detected on building. Also you detecting it does not mean that enemies see it (though they might and you would not know about it). Each trap has "groups/civs that know about this trap" and i think you have a special list of know traps to you. I'm sure they trigger the traps okay (had boulder trap work on script-spawned dwarf though he evaded the trap) so there is no need for trickery, just sometimes you might trigger the trap yourself (and die).

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2015, 02:37:54 pm »

Huh... i thought cage traps were disabled, all other types got insta-detected on building. Also you detecting it does not mean that enemies see it (though they might and you would not know about it). Each trap has "groups/civs that know about this trap" and i think you have a special list of know traps to you. I'm sure they trigger the traps okay (had boulder trap work on script-spawned dwarf though he evaded the trap) so there is no need for trickery, just sometimes you might trigger the trap yourself (and die).
I assumed once I "detected" the trap, it is "disarmed"? All I know is that the flesh ball that ran into the trap didn't get caught sadly, even while the trap was not detected by my before... I don't know.

EDIT:
Hm...building stockpiles doesn't work, does it? Throws an error ("one of items, filters or abstract is required"). From what I could see the "building" is not "defined" at all.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:23:06 pm by SyrusLD »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2015, 05:31:55 pm »

Well, you won't haul items to a stockpile will you? You can just drop stuff where you want it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

true a best place would be to shove everything into a chest, then build a chest for holding all the resources. then again, I haven't gotten past surviving the first night after being Attack by a demon so my belief in homes security is kinda shaken. then there's also necromancy and trying to figure out how to get companion order to Tell these boozos to mass wait in one spot so I can use the place as a dumping ground.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:39 pm »

Well, you won't haul items to a stockpile will you? You can just drop stuff where you want it.
Meh. If I can chose to build it, I should be able to do so. D:

true a best place would be to shove everything into a chest, then build a chest for holding all the resources. then again, I haven't gotten past surviving the first night after being Attack by a demon so my belief in homes security is kinda shaken. then there's also necromancy and trying to figure out how to get companion order to Tell these boozos to mass wait in one spot so I can use the place as a dumping ground.
So far I only used barrels because I was storing seeds, plants, food and alcohol. All wood, stone and ore I just got in seperate piles in the middle of my workshop room (aka "The Vulcano" which I sealed up by building a floor over the magma; the temperature is 10075° btw, didn't know that already counts as "scorching").

Why'd you get attacked by a demon? My "lair" has not been attacked by anything bigger than a flesh ball recruit or an occasional troll wandering through it.
Would be interesting to see how my metal-wrapped (metal clothing + armor + tons of jewelry; did they remove the limit for that!?) would survive against that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2015, 09:56:01 pm »

So far I only used barrels because I was storing seeds, plants, food and alcohol. All wood, stone and ore I just got in seperate piles in the middle of my workshop room (aka "The Vulcano" which I sealed up by building a floor over the magma; the temperature is 10075° btw, didn't know that already counts as "scorching").
Apparently that's 107°F, only three degrees in either Urist or Fahrenheit away from fat melting goodness. (Interestingly, that's not nearly as hot as the air inside a sauna.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:03:23 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:56 pm »

Hm...looked through the GatherPlants thing again ... still, absolutly no idea where to start. If only I knew what exactly that "GatherPlants" job actually does, or ... I don't know ... if I figured out how the whole thing actually works.

Sadly taming a (tameable) animal doesn't work either (yet). Wonder how that'd work anyway, but I feel like there would be lots of !!FUN!! having a tamed Dragon with you. Maybe it should set the tamed animal as a companion?...

Well, still wish I at least knew how to test around a little for making the plant gathering work, but it's like "nope", nothing, no idea where to look for how that function is even supposed to work. There isn't a way to just make a custom thing for gathering plants? Then again, I feel like it SHOULD normally work, I mean, FellTree also works, which as far as I see it should be pretty much the same thing...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2015, 04:02:16 pm »

Isn't felltree just a modified dig with the effect of flipping all the "supports/supported/is a tree instead of logs" switches connected to the tile you target?

Also, I have yet to find a functionality more critical to adventuring in dfhack than the simple ability to repair broken connections in worldgen forts. Gotta reveal first to see where you gotta link to of course, but having an option besides trying to pos myself around is so great, though it's a shame they don't stay that way when you leave. Seems fitting for a bloodsoaked dorf psycho to literally rip their way through a wall to reach a beastie before planting their pick right between the eyes of said beastie.

...wait, could you fudge up a gatherplants job that uses something like the intense search task?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:07:31 pm by Max™ »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »

Well there are few fudged up jobs already. I.e last "link" job was totally fudged up because i couldn't get it to work in native df way. And no "FellTree" is no modified dig, it's real job from df. The problem is that if df suddenly realises that you are an adventurer and should not be controlled by job logic it cancels (or just fails to do anything) the job you are doing.

How it works: i create a job, mimicking everything i know about that job so it would do it just like in fort mode. For some jobs it's very easy (dig needs pick + pos and you are done, though repeat 3 times to dig stone) and other quite tricky (e.g. linking needs two references (the lever and the target) and items (two mechanisms) and then it controls your character so it goes to one target and then the other, the last part is what failed to work) other look easy (looking at how df does it in fort mode) but somehow fails to work (e.g. gather plants does not seem to do anything strange, though lately i been theorizing that it's related to unknown fields in job struct). Similar with tame job. Though it might not be that hard. We just need to have caged animal, food and try adding tame job with correct references. If that is not enough, then we might need an area for that. If that does not work, then just changing targets tame level might.

Why this way is better than straight out fudging? Because we get so much from so little work: we don't need to know correct procedures, experience gain functions, map modifications, historical events and so on. Df does it for us. So fudging is my last resort.

As for gather plants- it's not very important. You can still have working farm. Buy some plants from cities and plant their seeds. That is the main reason why i don't add some way to cheat-gather plants.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2015, 08:26:07 pm »

Hey, good to know what's going on anyways.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2015, 05:01:33 am »

Meh. If I can chose to build it, I should be able to do so. D:

Why'd you get attacked by a demon? My "lair" has not been attacked by anything bigger than a flesh ball recruit or an occasional troll wandering through it.
Would be interesting to see how my metal-wrapped (metal clothing + armor + tons of jewelry; did they remove the limit for that!?) would survive against that.

oh I get attack by demons any place I decided to sleep in or rest in one site multiple times, I guess it's more of an site leaking a demon from hell due to murdering someone shenanigans than say lair unleashing hellspawn either way it's a good challange and keeps me on my toes so it not just boring sleeping in a hut away from anyone deadly peacefulness the game tend to be.
also it builds character and story.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31