Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12009 times)

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 03:30:20 pm »

Jefmajor made me want to try it.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »

Saw a post about it while browsing tigsource

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2012, 08:11:25 pm »

The evening before my wedding I was talking with my best man about random stuff. I mentioned it'd be fun to have a game where instead of invading a highly secure, madly defended, multi-level fortress, you built one and saw how it held up against invaders. He said he knew a game somewhat like that, with a mix of Moria-esque mining complete with accidentally opening up Hell and getting trounced by demons, but also with an element of fun in trying again -- even trying to retake an old, defeated fortress.

Funnily enough, it's about a year now since that conversation (by "about" I mean closer to an exact year than you'd think) and my marriage hasn't been hurt by DF-addiction or cave adaptation. Then again, my wife and I were already somewhat cave-adapted to begin with, and I do a decent job balancing my time -- partly because while I maintain DF is the single greatest game ever I nonetheless think there are plenty of other things in life worth their while and indeed enjoy DF all the more because it's not the only thing I do but part of a broader aesthetic of adventure.

How's that for a very atypical DF-er story?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

endoric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:32 pm »

playing towns, or as someone stated, DF for babies.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:36 pm »

TvTropes!

See? It can be useful!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

UristMcAwesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »

A clan that did Mount & Blade. I kind of wish there were gaming clans out there that played DF.
..Anyone know any?

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:18 pm »

Wanted to play Minecraft but had only a crappy old laptop available that wasn't able to run Minecraft, so I was looking for "minecraft-like games". Oh, the shame. :D DF -> 1000x better than MC
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 10:51:55 pm »

I had just stopped playing Ultima Online and was bored out of my mind looking for something to do. I sat on the ground and surrounded myself with piles of pc gamer magazines and began looking for a new game. There, in the corner of a slightly bent magazine's free games section, were
a few paragraphs on DF. I looked it up, started playing, and promptly forgot about UO and boredom.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 05:17:44 am »

Tv tropes as well.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 05:27:34 am »

A D&D friend of mine told me about it when I asked him how he kept coming up with the totally insane traps he threw at us.  He introduced me and I've been playing it ever since.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

grenzreiter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:28 am »

In this german blog: Nerdderby

Greetings
grenzreiter

ch3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:49 am »

Found the boatmurdered LP.

Read it on one go.

Downloaded DF. (was the first 3d version, I believe)

Spent 2 painful hours building farms above-ground and starving my dwarves, not knowing how to dig.

:D

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

I regularly read Wired.com's national security issue blog "Danger room". When you enter "danger room" into google, one of the hits near the top of the page is for the danger room-page of the DF wiki. Caught my eye, wondered what the  ??? this is, read the wiki a bit, read some reviews, read Boatmurdered, downloaded and here I am...
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:34 am »

World of Warcraft got boring (midway through Cataclysm).

A few months later, I picked up Minecraft, saw Dwarf Fortress listed as a source of inspiration.

A few months later, Minecraft got boring, because I could not make the elaborate death-traps I so desperately wanted to make. (Channel people into a hall, dump magma on them, the usual)

TVTropes got me to read Boatmurdered, and a few of those other amazing Bloodline games (Headshoots, etc) And I tried, so hard, to play DF. Gave up after a while, because college required my attention.

Then, around January, I downloaded it again, started with Phoebus tile set, and sat for hours on the wiki, experimenting and learning. (I did recently remove the tile set, ASCII looks quite a bit better). Lost 30 dwarves to a troll, starved a few forts, and caused many more to die to invasions / clowns / fire-breathing titans invading the farms.

Now, I find every other game is not quite as fun, nor as satisfying to play. Especially since recent forts involve flooding the world with pressurized magma, mine cart grinders, and death-by-husking clouds.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:40:13 am by Lich180 »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:08 am »

I had just stopped playing Ultima Online and was bored out of my mind looking for something to do. I sat on the ground and surrounded myself with piles of pc gamer magazines and began looking for a new game. There, in the corner of a slightly bent magazine's free games section, were
a few paragraphs on DF. I looked it up, started playing, and promptly forgot about UO and boredom.

Yipes.  When did you stop playing UO?  I left that game over a decade ago now.

On topic, Boatmurdered.  I remember reading the story and looking at the pictures at the same time and thinking "WTF are these guys on".
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11