Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1676073 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #16725 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »

Yes, nobody would notice an increase in the supply of money. That's definitely the reason they don't print literal money now, because people would see them printing it.
An obvious solution to this problem is just to reduce everyone's money accounts proportionally in order to maintain the same amount of money in the system. Clearly this solution cannot possibly backfire in any imaginable situation.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: May 20, 2015, 01:15:06 pm »

But taking money from transactions is stupid, because it discourages people from making transactions and thus artificially slow down the economy!
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »

But then people that sit on piles of treasure would unjustfully be left untaxed!

And this can't be allowed to happen.
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16728 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:05 pm »

No see, the solution here is to go back to the Roman system, where you paid as much as the taxman thought he could extract from you because he got a finder's fee for it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: May 20, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »

No see, the solution here is to go back to the Roman system, where you paid as much as the taxman thought he could extract from you because he got a finder's fee for it.
I work so hard in arranging the blocks, but the landlord and taxman bleed me dry...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: May 20, 2015, 01:53:41 pm »

You load sixteen torrents, and what do you git? Another day older and deeper in government shit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: May 20, 2015, 03:53:26 pm »

Clearly the best tax system is mob taxation, you keep what cannot be seized in popular uprising and redistributed.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16732 on: May 20, 2015, 05:33:30 pm »

Well, no one just sits on money in the bank; they stick it in stocks and the like. Tax the stock market!
Would that not just lower demand for investment, lowering stock prices and GDP with it? All the while the rich just buy up a shit ton of real assets?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: May 20, 2015, 06:24:27 pm »

Russia unveils their Navy Seal team.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16734 on: May 20, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »

Russia unveils their Navy Seal team.
Now that's military expenditure I can get on board with.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:02 am »

Well, no one just sits on money in the bank; they stick it in stocks and the like. Tax the stock market!
Would that not just lower demand for investment, lowering stock prices and GDP with it? All the while the rich just buy up a shit ton of real assets?
For as long as the return on capital invested in the stock market is greater than the return on capital invested elsewhere a tax on it doesn't change much. In Austria we have a 25% capital gains tax that was recently extended to gains from the stock market. Did not hurt the Austrian stock market. r is still greater than g
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:09 am »

Of course, the true problem is the fact that once you have enough money, you can just invest it elsewhere; if there is too much taxation in Denmark, rich Danes will just invest in China/USA/Hungary/wherever. Of course, if you are just an ordinary citizen with couple tens of thousands of euro, you're screwed... But not if you are filthy rich. Remember the time when France tried to set some incredible tax on people earning a lot of money? It wasn't all that long ago.

Banning cash has one target and one target only, to increase control of the state (and perhaps banks) over the citizens. It won't help in stopping illegal activities, at best it will reduce them by tiny amount for a short period of time, before the alternatives come up. Not to mention that it will make legal-but-shitty actions by the banks all that much easier in the meantime, not to mention legal-because-the-perpetrator-decided-so actions by the state, like bail-ins and stuff.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16737 on: May 21, 2015, 03:14:42 am »

I thought this was about undeclared work/income tax evasion.
Taste my Paci-Fist

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: May 21, 2015, 03:34:52 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: May 21, 2015, 06:09:50 am »

Of course, the true problem is the fact that once you have enough money, you can just invest it elsewhere; if there is too much taxation in Denmark, rich Danes will just invest in China/USA/Hungary/wherever. Of course, if you are just an ordinary citizen with couple tens of thousands of euro, you're screwed... But not if you are filthy rich. Remember the time when France tried to set some incredible tax on people earning a lot of money? It wasn't all that long ago.

Banning cash has one target and one target only, to increase control of the state (and perhaps banks) over the citizens. It won't help in stopping illegal activities, at best it will reduce them by tiny amount for a short period of time, before the alternatives come up. Not to mention that it will make legal-but-shitty actions by the banks all that much easier in the meantime, not to mention legal-because-the-perpetrator-decided-so actions by the state, like bail-ins and stuff.
That's why all kind of tax evasion should be an offense punished by incarceration. If too many people are hiding in Monaco or Switzerland I believe that military intervention is a righteous response, regardless what the UN says, and these places should be put under direct EU administration anyway.

One less city state, one more place under a world-wide democracy.
Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 1393