Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7400 7401 [7402] 7403 7404 ... 13314

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14898333 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111015 on: August 12, 2013, 12:16:19 am »

Dammit, it's not supposed to be reasonable, it's supposed to be cool.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I have a t-shirt with that exact slogan on it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111016 on: August 12, 2013, 12:16:39 am »

Like, that's the problem.  The laws of what makes the most sense in narratives generally don't coincide with the laws of physics.  They're two different universes.  And there's a sliding scale, between narrative and physics.  A narrative is not bad because it does not conform to physics, and physics is not bad because it does not conform to a cohesive narrative.

It's kind of how the approach of physicists is totally non-rigorous in the math world (non-axiomatic, makes assumptions based on physical intuition), and math is totally non-rigorous in the physics world (does not adhere to experimental data).  People keep trying to create a hierarchy of math over physics or physics over math, reality over narrative or narrative over reality, and that just doesn't make any sense.

yes that's what the movie is about

ilu
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111017 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:34 am »

Colonization of the air (on Earth or on like, Venus or Saturn) is so much cooler than giant metal people.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111018 on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:49 am »

Colonization of the air (on Earth or on like, Venus or Saturn) is so much cooler than giant metal people.
I have to agree with this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111019 on: August 12, 2013, 12:35:32 am »

physics is not bad because it does not conform to a cohesive narrative.
Define "bad".

Although, yes, your actual statement is absolutely right, but when's that ever stopped me?

I need to see this movie. I desperately hope it's popular enough to remain in theaters until next month, when I have the money to do it. Or maybe I can talk my FLGS to give me cash instead of store credit when I sell off some cards that are about to rotate out of Standard >________>
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:37:42 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #111020 on: August 12, 2013, 12:42:06 am »

I have to agree with this.
What if we colonized the air with giant metal people? Is it twice as cool?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111021 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:36 am »

Changing my address for the electoral commission. Under the 'gender' bit there was a box labeled 'other'. I don't even need it, but it is nice to know that at least as far as census goes they don't still go for binary gender options.

Also managed to finally bench press my own body weight. Woo fitness! Endorphins! Finding something with achievable goals to attach my self worth to!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111022 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:04 am »

Also managed to finally bench press my own body weight. Woo fitness! Endorphins! Finding something with achievable goals to attach my self worth to!
I can crisscross my legs and set my feet on top of my knees. Then I can press my hands down on the floor and lift my body up.
Does that count?
The Derail Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111023 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:18 am »

You can't tell me giant metal people aren't cool, I've seen the Iron Giant. On a related note, you don't build mecha or flying fortresses, you build both and then launch the former from the latter with giant railguns. Geez, it's like half of the people in this thread don't understand what really matters in life.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111024 on: August 12, 2013, 12:59:25 am »

You can't tell me giant metal people aren't cool, I've seen the Iron Giant. On a related note, you don't build mecha or flying fortresses, you build both and then launch the former from the latter with giant railguns. Geez, it's like half of the people in this thread don't understand what really matters in life.  :P

I like the cut of your jib!

Define "bad".

What I'm really trying to say is that our current culture is super-into hierarchies, but what's being fought over is, well, different ways of articulating value.  And those are more area-specific; the relative goodness or badness of these ways of articulation should be measured on their ability to articulate in their domain, not any external measure.  Their goodness is intrinsic, rather than extrinsic.

Some things are just incomparable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111025 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:06 am »

Now you see, that's something that Warhammer 40k did right.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111026 on: August 12, 2013, 01:07:10 am »

Yeah, this is a fundamental truth. It's strange, because people generally seem to get it on an intuitive level - we even have proverbs about apples and oranges. But then we run into this sorta thing, yeah.

And yes, mechas are pretty much great. They're the gunfists of the robot world. Impractical? Pshaw. Their inherent awesomeness adds enough value to easily outweigh other concerns. That's a practicality all its own. Actually, though, do we have enough mechas with gunfists? Because, no, no we do not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:09:28 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111027 on: August 12, 2013, 01:44:11 am »

Define "bad".

What I'm really trying to say is that our current culture is super-into hierarchies, but what's being fought over is, well, different ways of articulating value.  And those are more area-specific; the relative goodness or badness of these ways of articulation should be measured on their ability to articulate in their domain, not any external measure.  Their goodness is intrinsic, rather than extrinsic.

I think it's less a culture thing than it is human nature, as a species we're crazy into thinking of things in categorical terms, and hierarchies are just a method of organising categories.

I think it might be something to do with the nature of information, the reality of the world is that these things exist more like a complex web of ideas that link together in an ever evolving system that's difficult to succinctly quantify. But it's hard to think about things in a way that justifies the way they really are, so you break them down into categories, and try to connect and arrange the categories together to make sense of the whole really complex picture.

I wouldn't say some things are incomparable so much as they're hard to categorise around each other... if this is making sense.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111028 on: August 12, 2013, 01:45:52 am »

First ever real attempt at creating a cosplay prop is complete. It isn't super awesome, but it's my first try, so it's super awesome to me. Looking back, I should have used the matte side of the aluminum foil, because it would have looked much better and less...shiny. Especially in pictures. I had to turn the lights down because it was too shiny. I did it all by hand, it was pretty fun, regardless. Also, I might have used paint instead of EVA foam, but I really wanted to see what the foam felt like, and it sounded fun, so I put that on there instead. Basically it's pretty terrible but I'm perfectly fine with that because it was a fun, inexpensive experience, and practice for the future.

Link to not-too-high-quality picture.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111029 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:17 am »

That Chakram was soooooo ridiculous. But I approve.
Pages: 1 ... 7400 7401 [7402] 7403 7404 ... 13314