Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 799963 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2310 on: May 01, 2012, 11:38:37 pm »

Off topic: Deathsword, what is the deal with the penguin avatars?
Go to general discussion. Easier this way.

So penguins are the anti-ponies?

HELL FUCKING YES.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 02, 2012, 01:00:37 am »

The crashes have all been of the personal kind.  Catalyst cancels craft update: seeking drink.  That sort of thing.  Here goes:

--------

I did not return willingly.

Like shards of splintered rock embedded in my mind, the very walls of Hellcannon clung to the fragments of my consciousness, pulling me from the blissful oblivion of my madness.  First the cats of the fortress took up a furious yowling.  Next, three dwarves with no connection to one another all had the phrase "chorus of bones" become stuck in their heads, for no reason at all. Then the engravers, all at once, for no cause they could explain, all simultaneously engraved at different parts of the fortress perfectly identical images of cheese.

And suddenly I found myself in a body once again.  I know it's owner was as surprised as I was, because he immediately went completely mad.

Spoiler: Poor fellow. (click to show/hide)
I can't say I blamed him.  I wasn't too happy about the situation either.  We spent the next week or so wandering the fortress aimlessly, chattering about... oh I believe it had something to do with flying kittens made of burning brass. 

They said it would be a good year. What?  They did.

When I finally collected myself a bit, and came to terms with being corporeal once more, for the first time in time without measure, I cast an eye to the heirarchy of the fort.  It struck me as a bit... topheavy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poor fellow seemed burdened with so many responsibilities.  Luckily with my talents it was all too easy to persuade the rest to vote me in to replace him, freeing him to focus on his other tasks - and I think I should make an adequate substitute!

The fortress itself paints a bleak picture... most of it seems to be one enormous mausoleum... perhaps even more so than Failcannon, at the end. 

Other aspects were less depressing, and more simply bizarre. Here, there appears to be a platform, covered with cats, suspended over a row of hospital beds by a single support.  I can only assume it is collapsed by one of the many unlabeled levers.

The scratching and bellowing of numerous forgotten beasts continue just outside our walls in many places, and the skeletal wildlife continually wander from above into our traps, but our defenses hold secure and the fort is in excellent shape.  Meanwhile a vision lingers in my mind, an image I cannot shake from my earlier unexpected sojourn in the mind of queen Led.  I can no longer tell if the impetus is my own or hers, but one thing is certain: I must build it.

The drafts are being laid as we speak.

Soon.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 02, 2012, 01:37:02 am »

Glorious!

All the coffins, all the misery, and you simply intend to add to the complexity with new excavations! With led's soul having been completely absorbed by the foul one, your dwarf's insanity truly shws through :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: May 02, 2012, 02:04:34 am »

Somehow. I doubt this fort will outlive its predecessor.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: May 02, 2012, 04:47:55 am »

Actually unless something HILARIOUS occurs or someone actively does something HILARIOUS this fort has a pretty good chance of going strong. We just need to play to our strengths. The entrance to the fort is pretty heavily defended with traps and they churn errything to pieces faster than you can say "FORGOTTEN BEAST!" No need to send the military topside where they always get slaughtered when you can wait and see if any goblins survive the trap corridor.

As long as that's done, we'll have soldiers within the fort. As long as we have soldiers within the fort, we have skilled soldiers ready to take on any forgotten beastie or berserker or whatever.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: May 02, 2012, 10:31:48 am »

When was the last time somthing like that DIDN'T happen to a battlefailed fort? Also, what's our population?

It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: May 02, 2012, 11:02:50 am »

Actually unless something HILARIOUS occurs or someone actively does something HILARIOUS this fort has a pretty good chance of going strong.

You're just encouraging them, you know.

We just need to play to our strengths.

Wrecking the previous overseer's carefully-laid plans with the current overseer's grand psychotic vision to save the fort/utterly devestate the fortress?

As long as we have soldiers within the fort, we have skilled soldiers ready to take on any forgotten beastie or berserker or whatever.

Right till that one dwarf who didn't get the materials he wanted beats half of them to death and the survivors discover the joys of 'deadly blood'.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

This is why this fort is so run down, everyone has such a negative opinion on our likelihood for survival. Also, I think we had 33 dorfs at the end of my turn.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:10:09 am by Ieb »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »

I thought it was run down largely due to the controversy surrounding it's premature conception. But maybe I just hold a grudge too well...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51:36 pm »

Actually unless something HILARIOUS occurs or someone actively does something HILARIOUS this fort has a pretty good chance of going strong.

Seriously.  What I've inherited here is the polar opposite of last time.  I'm not sure I could kill this fort if I try.

So... I've decided to take risks :P  I've never really done much in the way of megaprojects before...  What could possibly go wrong?

Not looking at the actual save right now, but I think population was somewhere in the 30s?  I want to say 38.  There seem to be a lot of nasty injuries though, and our doctors are just plain lazy.  Maybe I'll eventually decide to care about that, or at least make some crutches - but we already probably have plenty, it's just a question of why no one is bothering to go carry their fallen comrades out of the stockpiles where they fell and couldn't get up.  I choose to believe Hellcannon dwarves are just a bunch of dickheads.

Edit: I assume Ieb's 33 dwarves would be the correct number.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:55:56 pm by CatalystParadox »
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »

What's the state of the Fort right now? I stopped reading because I could not find where I left off. This thread grows so quickly. Anyone else think Minecarts would just add to the chaos and insanity that is a Battlefailed fort?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »

Unfortunately the current save doesn't work at all in any versions above 31.25. So if we would get minecarts, vampires, necromancers, deadly mists and blood rains, it would have to be on a new generated world. But I think the worldgen settings are still saved in some thread so I'm guessing we can just say that someone hit the universal reset button.

Which I'm certain will happen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 02, 2012, 01:46:33 pm »

I could easily regenerate the world again. I could even go so far as to decide to go want to do look more like extract a new elevation file for the terrain, and screw with it. Universal resets wouldn't fit so well in the Epic, now would they?
I make Spellcrafts!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 02, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

Then call it the Alternate Universe edition. With TWICE the horrible!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »

That's a lot of horrible... I don't think any succession game could ever last more than a few turns with that much horror. :o
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 208