Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf Eggs  (Read 4185 times)

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf Eggs
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »

I've been trying to mod the Elves to lay eggs, but the eggs aren't edible, nor can they be cooked. I removed the [INTELLIGENT] tag from Elves, and made their civilizations stop spawning altogether. Is there something I'm missing, like a tag that makes the eggs edible? Or are eggs just never edible?

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »

They aren't edible, but they should be cookable. Wanna show us the raws you're using? The material definitions of the yolks and such define edibility.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »

All I did was copy the default egg laying raws from the chickens into the elves, but I made it so that all elves could lay eggs rather than just females. If an item can be cooked, does it show up in the z->Kitchen screen?

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to ask...why?

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to ask...why?

OMG!  Can you imagine how light and fluffy that omelette would be?  Delicious!!

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:27:21 pm »

Mostly I wanted to do it because I don't like the Elves. I came up with a whole system of stuff I could add to the elves, to make them useful. First, the egg laying thing. Next, I could add milking them for Elf Milk, which could then be brewed into Elven Milkwine, or made into Elven Cheese. Also, I'm considering making them able to be sheared for their hair, which you could then convert into cloth and make clothing from them. Lots of things that would all make Elves immensely more useful. :D

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »

Mostly I wanted to do it because I don't like the Elves. I came up with a whole system of stuff I could add to the elves, to make them useful. First, the egg laying thing. Next, I could add milking them for Elf Milk, which could then be brewed into Elven Milkwine, or made into Elven Cheese. Also, I'm considering making them able to be sheared for their hair, which you could then convert into cloth and make clothing from them. Lots of things that would all make Elves immensely more useful. :D

may whatever deity you worship strike you down for this sin against nature
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »

Armok has not the time to bother with something such as this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:40:43 pm »

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read involving elves. +2DF points for you.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »

Armok has not the time to bother with something such as this.

well I worship a donkey made out of salt so I wouldn't know about your situation
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »

Elf milk has already been discussed, the [CAN_SPEAK] flag prevents milking for the express purpose of preventing elf milk.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »

Elf milk has already been discussed, the [CAN_SPEAK] flag prevents milking for the express purpose of preventing elf milk.

Technically, it's more there to prevent dwarf milk.

I know some tags have been moved into being creature-level instead of caste-level, but I remember one of the first !!SCIENCE!! experiments I did when we got 0.31.01 was to make [INTELLIGENT] caste-level on female dwarves only (heh!) and then make the male dwarves into a milkable pet caste. 

... It drew humorous reactions.

Amusingly, the "stray dwarf" males that arrived from migrant waves would still have skills (I did leave [CAN_LEARN] on), and they would have their labors menu locked, but would still have whatever labors they arrived with enabled, so the "pet" dwarves would do specific kinds of labors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:29:54 pm »

I can see the herds of domesticated elf now, driven across the pastures by their surly dwarven elfherders.

Ah, nature.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:11 am »

Hm. Does this apply to the [CAN_LEARN] tag as well? Cause that would explain an annoying bug I'm encountering in the Pokemon mod.

zemagris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:03 am »

I finally got it working! I think the problem was that I had forgotten to put in [BODY_MATERIAL_PLAN:EGG_MATERIALS] or something like that. I didn't even know that line existed, but I saw it scanning the Chicken raws and putting it in my elves worked. :D
Pages: [1] 2