Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 962210 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9615 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:46 pm »

Fuck it, when you really want to make sure you're going to hurt something, anything, you grab a melta-weapon.

The Eldar Fire Dragon's creed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: October 22, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »

Deadliest words in WH40K are, "Jurgen, melta please."

Generally when the melta is in order Cain does not have time to be that composed...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9617 on: October 22, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »

Ah yes, Ferik Jurgen, the one man in Imperium which can fire a meltagun and still somehow make it spit out casings.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9618 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:29 pm »

In rules news, an FAQ has just been released which has taken “summary execution” from an auto-pass to a reroll, and “upgraded” a combined Summary Execution and Draconian Disciplinarian from a reroll with max 1 cas, to 1 cas for a reroll, and then d3 cas and an auto-pass if that also fail.

I never ran conscripts so I was baffled as to why anyone would take the new Draconian Disciplinarian.
But I guess it works for a commander who is happy to keep shooting until they stop running.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:08:16 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9619 on: October 23, 2017, 07:19:14 pm »

Since it's the most interesting thing this thread has talked about in months and isn't another permutation on "which horoscope sign would the Primarchs have", I'm going to post some more about my thoughts for the factions and timeline of Only Peace.

Spoiler: Timeline (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alien Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Human Factions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:36:40 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9620 on: October 23, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »

Sounds like the Imperium has survived in the sense of the Holy Roman Empire, in that it is nominally one political entity, when in reality the breaking down of the astronomicon has meant that lines of communication are now much more regionalized allowing for all the various factions to begin entrenching their own personal power-bases. I suppose naturally, galactic peace would be the only disaster that would make Orks weaker. Also would the Ordo Malleus truly disband? As hidden guardians of the pylons, as commanders of Titan and the Grey Knights, I imagine Ordo Malleus inquisitors would become the semi-mythical Ordos of the Inquisition, with even other Inquisitors questioning whether they still exist - but still existing they remain, guarding the last possessed prisoners/artifacts/warp rifts they couldn't destroy left in the world.
Moreover the Sisters of Battle have civilian branches relating to healthcare and scholarship, so I imagine the Sisters of Battle wouldn't give up their arms, instead turning to the guarding of their civilian branch in addition to their newfound proselytizing. Heck, given that they arguably the only organization in the Imperium that has a military branch, religious branch, scientific branch and administrative branch (besides the Inquisition or Mechanicus), it's entirely possible that in the thousands of years of peace post the death of the Emperor, the Sisters of Mourning could become a serious galactic contender within the Holy Imperium of Man

Otherwise all the ideas sound pretty dank developments of grimpeace. What is this Necron cloud? If I may develop this idea, imagine a bunch of Necron scarabs. Self-replicating, capable of communicating with one another and complex strategy and so on. Then their overlords are annihilated, meaning that their maintenance and defence protocols are broken, and their one remaining protocol left is to continue replicating with no one left to tell them to stop. Thus in the cosmos of space they attack any space vessels they find, converting them into more scarabs. Thus is born the Necron cloud: Do not go into that space, your spaceship will be converted into scarabs
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:48:06 pm by Loud Whispers »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9621 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:08 pm »

Grand alliance between humans, eldar, tau, and necrons forms.
Wat.

all psykers in Sol system killed instantly including Grey Knight garrison.
Including like, 99,99% Eldar, if not all of them.

Also, I am pretty sure as long as Webway is accesible, Chaos deamons still have a route of entry. Remember, this is the other one of main reasons you want Emperor sitting on the Golden Shitter - he keeps the Webway gate closed, so no Deamons can push through and buttfuck Terra. Webway IS in the Warp, it's just relatively safer but that doesn't make it immune from being attacked by Warp beings through it's damaged sections.

Eldar:
They dead.

Necron: The rising of the Necron Dynasties ultimately ended in total disaster. Even their superior technology could not stand against the flood of the Tyranids and the united efforts of human and eldar.
Their superior technology includes being able to explode any star in Galaxy on whim, and other crazy shit. Necron technology is beyond Eldar, beyond even the Speranza, they just haven't got to utilize it yet, since they don't even consider anything worthy of full-on war yet. When they would go full-on war, even Tyranids might not be enough.

Ork: The time of the WAAGH!, of Gork and Mork, and of dakka n' crumpin is done. The majority of the Orkoid species are now Gretchen
Yeah good luck with that, as long as there is an inch of barely habitable space, even on damn asteroids or something, there will be big ass warrior Orks. Also, let's not forget that Mechanicum surveys indicate that inter-Galactic space is filled with Orks.

Tau:
Don't matter.

Adeptus Administratum: The most powerful organization of the modern Imperium, bar none.
It has always been this way.

Imperial Guard: > Imperial Navy:
Stupid. If anything, the Navy should be more powerful, as mundane threats such as regular old pirates, smugglers and others still exist.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9622 on: October 23, 2017, 08:49:12 pm »

Grand alliance between humans, eldar, tau, and necrons forms.
Wat.
You'll note it almost immediately collapses as well.
all psykers in Sol system killed instantly including Grey Knight garrison.
Including like, 99,99% Eldar, if not all of them.
If I was gonna go that far I'd use it to slap the shit out of the Chaos Gods while I'm at it.
Also, I am pretty sure as long as Webway is accesible, Chaos deamons still have a route of entry. Remember, this is the other one of main reasons you want Emperor sitting on the Golden Shitter - he keeps the Webway gate closed, so no Deamons can push through and buttfuck Terra. Webway IS in the Warp, it's just relatively safer but that doesn't make it immune from being attacked by Warp beings through it's damaged sections.
The thought isn't that Chaos is contained so much as it's starved ala the Emperor's original intention. The Imperium enacts a partial version of the Necrons' severing plan with warp pylons and prevents mortals from feeding Chaos with their emotions. The knots of agony that are daemons come undone, no more corruption in the warp.
Their superior technology includes being able to explode any star in Galaxy on whim, and other crazy shit. Necron technology is beyond Eldar, beyond even the Speranza, they just haven't got to utilize it yet, since they don't even consider anything worthy of full-on war yet. When they would go full-on war, even Tyranids might not be enough.
Their tech is indeed the greatest, but you'll note they are the only other faction that doesn't get killed off or otherwise permanently curtailed. Why destroy the galaxy fighting the monkeys? They'll be dust in no time at all. Plus the Necrons who are still sapient are all totally fucked in the head, they don't necessarily have the understanding to break free and wipe out the Imperium anymore than they do in canon.
Yeah good luck with that, as long as there is an inch of barely habitable space, even on damn asteroids or something, there will be big ass warrior Orks. Also, let's not forget that Mechanicum surveys indicate that inter-Galactic space is filled with Orks.
The Orks may have their tech written into their blood, but they need the WAAAAGH! Field to make their bullshit society work correctly. With the warp pylons about, they're stuck. And of course they aren't all gone, but as a galactic force they're done.
Imperial Guard: > Imperial Navy:
Stupid. If anything, the Navy should be more powerful, as mundane threats such as regular old pirates, smugglers and others still exist.
Without the increased difficulty of warp jumps pirates aren't as dangerous as some chunk of the Imperium deciding to go independent. Plus, the biggest reason for their weakness is that the Chartist Fleet is basically stealing their goddamn warships, and it's not necessarily for more cargo space.

Also would the Ordo Malleus truly disband? As hidden guardians of the pylons, as commanders of Titan and the Grey Knights, I imagine Ordo Malleus inquisitors would become the semi-mythical Ordos of the Inquisition, with even other Inquisitors questioning whether they still exist - but still existing they remain, guarding the last possessed prisoners/artifacts/warp rifts they couldn't destroy left in the world.
Well, partially disband. In the direction this went they just don't have a lot of purpose left beyond what you're saying. I did sort of kill off the Grey Knights, so whatever's left of them matches the size of the Ordos.
Otherwise all the ideas sound pretty dank developments of grimpeace. What is this Necron cloud? If I may develop this idea, imagine a bunch of Necron scarabs. Self-replicating, capable of communicating with one another and complex strategy and so on. Then their overlords are annihilated, meaning that their maintenance and defence protocols are broken, and their one remaining protocol left is to continue replicating with no one left to tell them to stop. Thus in the cosmos of space they attack any space vessels they find, converting them into more scarabs. Thus is born the Necron cloud: Do not go into that space, your spaceship will be converted into scarabs
Turning the Magellanic Cloud into a giant Necron would be rather appropriate for 40k.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:56:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9623 on: October 23, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »

If I was gonna go that far I'd use it to slap the shit out of the Chaos Gods while I'm at it.
Eldar are all psykers. If it killed all Psykers in Galaxy, it should have killed all Eldar.

Without the increased difficulty of warp jumps pirates aren't as dangerous as some chunk of the Imperium deciding to go independent. Plus, the biggest reason for their weakness is that the Chartist Fleet is basically stealing their goddamn warships, and it's not necessarily for more cargo space.
Most pirates don't even do Warp jumps as of 41st Millenium either. Navigators are a valuable commodity, so are ships with working Gellar Fields and other stuff. Don't be mistaken - even if you have interstellar travel, there is a fuckton of inter-system trade and travel, and while local PDF monitors and such are often enough to deal with it, if there is more trade, there will be more pirates. If anything, there would be Charter captains going rogue (Rogue Rogue Traders, hue) and going for the easy cash, and so on. It's like British Empire - you might be relatively small and have small army, but you need big-ass well equipped fleet to retain power over your colonies, and if anything, the threat of "we will fucking nuke you into oblivion" is much more threathening (and easier) than "we will drop few dozen regiments on your head, which you can at least try to do something about.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9624 on: October 23, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »

Eldar are all psykers. If it killed all Psykers in Galaxy, it should have killed all Eldar.
Not all psykers in the galaxy, all psykers in the Sol system. And anybody who got caught up in the Emperor's super-anime Astronomicon cannon, I guess.
Most pirates don't even do Warp jumps as of 41st Millenium either. Navigators are a valuable commodity, so are ships with working Gellar Fields and other stuff. Don't be mistaken - even if you have interstellar travel, there is a fuckton of inter-system trade and travel, and while local PDF monitors and such are often enough to deal with it, if there is more trade, there will be more pirates. If anything, there would be Charter captains going rogue (Rogue Rogue Traders, hue) and going for the easy cash, and so on. It's like British Empire - you might be relatively small and have small army, but you need big-ass well equipped fleet to retain power over your colonies, and if anything, the threat of "we will fucking nuke you into oblivion" is much more threathening (and easier) than "we will drop few dozen regiments on your head, which you can at least try to do something about.
It's not like piracy is anathema to the scenario or anything, shit, I pretty much stuck the Orks in as only being pirates now (this is the best form of Orks, objectively). All the same, exterminatus is held back for a reason, the lives of planets over the lives of men and all that shit. The guard is a much better way to inhibit true rebellion by being a threat you'll go through with, and even a weakened Navy is still the most powerful force in the Milky Way.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9625 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:15 pm »

Astronomicannon.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9626 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:37 pm »

Kamekamecon?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9627 on: October 24, 2017, 01:54:44 am »

I recall something about ships being able to do warp jumps without a navigator empoying a nav computer. Just that it can only make short shitty jumps, but that would be enough for most pirates I think.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9628 on: October 24, 2017, 02:12:18 pm »

Yeah, it's the same as in Dune because Navigators are one of the elements that young Geedubs didn't bother to change basically anything about. Warp jumps/folding space requires exponential computing power as you increase distance. So you can do it with an AI and get fucked by AI, do it with a normal computer and have shitty range, or use a Navigator and have to live around a Navigator.

Basically, space travel is horrible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9629 on: October 24, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »

But we knew that already.
Pages: 1 ... 640 641 [642] 643 644 ... 824