Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2722506 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6870 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:52 pm »

If you cannot figure this out, you probably won't enjoy the game. I don't intend this as an insult, it's simply a fact.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:06 pm »

Huh? I'm running Aurora on a laptop using reduced-size windows, and it works fine. I can't resize any of the windows, but the UI gets compressed enough to fit on lower resolutions.

Worst-case scenario, you have to move the window around to click a button at the very bottom. Otherwise everything is cool.
The screen is wide enough, it is just that the bloody thing is too tall. I can't see all the buttons I need to, and reduced-windows doesn't do anything. It just lets me resize the window. The UI is still bigger than my screen  :'(

If you cannot figure this out, you probably won't enjoy the game. I don't intend this as an insult, it's simply a fact.
I can't make any ship prints, so I can't get off my planet. I can't see some other indicators and buttons as well. :(

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »

LOONG time since I played this, now I download the last version to see if I can play it decently..and the resolution problem is still there.

Guess he [the dev] was telling the truth when he said that he wouldn't fix this.
If my monitor was around 150 pixels taller, I'd play it, but I'll have to leave it again due to this pre-historic resolution problem.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »

Did you try the height reduction option?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »

There is a resolution option...

I don't get why it doesn't work for some people, apparently. I have a small, standard-size laptop and the reduced-resolution option works perfectly for me. I've been playing Aurora for months now, even though the bottom inch of my screen is broken and just a band of random colors.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »

If any of you new to ground combat want a tip, never leave a brigade of engineers to fight a battalion of precursor defense robots.

The engineers were down to about 10% integrity by the time my troop transports loaded with battalions of heavy infantry arrived and mopped the floor with the robots, which they were on their own for about 5 rounds of combat.

@Gabeux, try the reduced height option.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: September 14, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »

Ah, sorry for my rage, I just couldn't believe he didn't go after any solution after so much time.
But now I'm getting those "missing .dll / .ocx" errors. Trying to fix..

--
Actually it's missing the .ocx files that are in the game's folder. Weird.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:44:43 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »

There is a resolution option...

I don't get why it doesn't work for some people, apparently. I have a small, standard-size laptop and the reduced-resolution option works perfectly for me. I've been playing Aurora for months now, even though the bottom inch of my screen is broken and just a band of random colors.
Where is this resolution option? I tried the reduced height option, but that doesn't do anything for me. All it does is make the window resize-able, but I'd have to make the window go past my screen for it to work  :'(

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: September 14, 2011, 08:52:25 pm »

Game Parameters>Reduced Height Windows.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »

I tried the reduced height option, but that doesn't do anything for me. All it does is make the window resize-able, but I'd have to make the window go past my screen for it to work  :'(
:'( :'( :'(

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: September 14, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »

You'll have to report this as a bug on their forum then and hope Steve can fix it. Because I'm 100% sure that's the "resolution" (height) option.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:26 pm »

So..I tried reinstalling and the game still misses the .OCX files.

Anyone got any advice? I'm running on Win7.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: September 14, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »

I tried the reduced height option, but that doesn't do anything for me. All it does is make the window resize-able, but I'd have to make the window go past my screen for it to work  :'(
:'( :'( :'(
Something is screwed up on your end. Reduced height windows does NOTHING to make windows re-sizable. All it does is allow the game to be run on lower resolutions. Either something went wrong on your computer, or you're not listening to directions, or you're trolling.

@ Gabeux: Did you install it to the Windows 7 equivalent of the C: drive? Lots of people have had nothing but trouble installing Aurora to the default path on Vista/7. Something to do with the administration rights.

EDIT: Eye tipe gud when irritated  :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:18:07 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:06 pm »

So..I tried reinstalling and the game still misses the .OCX files.

Anyone got any advice? I'm running on Win7.
I've never heard of any OCX files needed by the game... You should ask on the official forums.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: September 14, 2011, 09:19:20 pm »

Nope, I installed on my D:/Games folder. Even tried running the game with administrator rights, compatibilty mode, and lowered UAC level / reinstalled... it still says it misses OCX files, that are in the game's folder.. Weird
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 1346