Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5895533 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19920 on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:29 pm »

Nope - they're all gonna starve to death.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19921 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

I got my first titan kill today. The dwarven caravan was with me at the time, so the titan was made easy work from my `8 dwarf military, plus 4-5 merchant guards. No one died, and no one got injured (as far i could tell). I have a dwarf working on butchering the titan, but those things take forever just to haul it to the butchers shop. While there were no injuries, one of my recruits is miserable because their son was killed by a large iron dagger to the head, and one of her other sons got kidnapped by goblins. Everything is going fine.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19922 on: February 25, 2012, 04:22:07 pm »

I got my first titan kill today.

Congrats. Did you want it to be more !FUN!? :P

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #19923 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »

Well, the fort may be doomed for lack of tools, but no one told them that...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2 immigrant waves later, still going!

2 months later...

"What do you mean, you can't trade with us?"
"You don't have a depot!"
"So what? Come on, we need that stuff!"
"Sorry, I'm prohibited by regulations from conducting any commerce without a standard trade depot."
"Regulate THIS!"

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:02:38 pm by Electrode »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19924 on: February 25, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »

I keep catching buzzards.  I need a good method to get rid of them.

Also, on a real-life note, a bird just flew into my *closed* window.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19925 on: February 25, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »

Sieges have finally arrived at my fortress.

First a bunch of humans showed up, apparently they thought it'd be safer to attack us than the fire-hurling giant tick that had offed their diplomat. Unfortunately for them, their leader's horse was more concerned with munching on the grass by the edge of the map, so they spent the best part of a season milling about aimlessly until my Hammerlords showed up to introduce them to blunt weapon combat.

No sooner had they decided to leave than a group of goblins turned up. Lots of goblins, in fact. All of them armed with bows or crossbows and led by Elite Marksgoblins. (I really ought to put up that outer wall sometime.) Oh, and there was a squad of Trolls too.

This went slightly less well, as my militia decided to ignore most of the orders they were given and thought it'd be fun to get killed one at a time. My long-suffering militia commander (now without the arrow in the knee) was shot more fatally this time, along with another (non-Legendary) Hammerlord. The squad of Swordsdwarves I started training about 3 years ago still haven't advanced past Novice in anything, and the two Marksdwarf squads stationed in the towers had mixed success - one squad did fairly well, the other one got shot to pieces by the Elite Goblin leading the southern attack.

So now I have to retrain my military with only one military instructor left, not many easy targets (almost everything here is flying so can't easily be swatted out of the sky by melee dwarves), and both melee and marksdwarf training is rather slow. Oh, and even worse, I've had no caravans to collect all the garbage second-hand clothes garbage left behind by the siege forces, and I've only just gotten my atomsmasher rigged up and working.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #19926 on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »

I just tested my lovely "sacrifice dorf to magma" chamber. Note to self: SUCCESS, sacrifice more vampires, they make such a satisfying puff of smoke when they get submerged. Hammerings don't always kill the blighters, though the last one died an extremely horrible and prolonged death due to 100 hammerstrikes (causing complete immobility due to an utterly shattered spine, skull, feet and hands) and an eager doctor with stagnant water. A few months later in his bed, he died from an infection, likely caused by the doctor cleaning his horrible wounds with the stagnant water. With the new fire tweaks, magma just goes way too fast to cause that much suffering. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19927 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »

Ral Astodsazir has created Miskamut, a Iron Bed!

Miskamut, "Hazerippers", a iron bed.

This is a iron bed. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of iron.

.... it's a bed of nails.

It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19928 on: February 25, 2012, 06:22:46 pm »

Another migrant wave, another massacre, another lone survivor miraculously unharmed. He's locked in my trade depot and doesn't seem to need food. I'll wall him up alongside the other vampire later.

I lost a great miner when I accidentally dug into the magma sea. I was pleased to see him running around on fire. At least I won't have to worry about reanimation.

The elves have started ambushing us now. The zombies slaughtered them and now there's quite a lot of undead shambling around outside. I don't think many more migrants will be getting inside.

I bought every piece of leather from the last caravan for making quivers and armour. Not that I need the armour much. My marksdwarves have been having fun using the undead for target practice from the top of the tower.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19929 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:39 pm »

Some idiot got himself drowned and I can't get rid of a ghost. His name doesn't show up in the "engrave memorial" list, I can't find his body and none of the five nameless "engrave" options concern the todger.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19930 on: February 25, 2012, 07:00:50 pm »

Just had an announcement of a Maceman entering a martial trance 30 Z-Levels below ground. I don't have anybody down there :o

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19931 on: February 25, 2012, 07:10:00 pm »

Just had an announcement of a Maceman entering a martial trance 30 Z-Levels below ground. I don't have anybody down there :o

Clearly there are subterranean feral dorfs below you who consider themselves part of the 'surface' government you have set up.

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19932 on: February 25, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »

First off, I don't have any iron in my mines, so I have to resort to making armor and weapons out of copper.

And then a titan came.

One shot my military + 40 dorfs, but then a lucky hunter killed it. So then I had to deal with all of the tantrums (that's dealt with, now, btw)

Now I'm fearing for the life of my fort if a siege or ambush comes along...

i need iron

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19933 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:21 pm »

The new RabbitHut / GrassDevouerer is truly a beacon in the dark lands.
A cowering, head-down beacon, but still a beacon.

I color coded the current above-ground hazards:
: Red - My staircase on East-Side of river (easier than building a bridge). OFC it's walled off for now
: Yellow - Trying to butcher my 2 Yaks for meat outside before they eat all my buns' dinner. The Thrip corpses need to go away !
: Green - The ash biome. It originates over there and sweeps deathly close to my fort
: Blue - A giant tick's chitin eternally wars against a giant sponge. Guess you really can't kill ticks...

What I didn't show is the ash-cursed giant sponge in the NE. Yep, my ash husks things.

Will start drilling the aquifer once I smelt my last bronze and get militia going.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19934 on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:18 pm »

Oh man husks. They defeated HFS. Don't let it get into your fort.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 3837