Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002262 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7290 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:02 am »

An in-game solution is to hand out waterskins. It take a few ticks to refill a waterskin, and the waterskin only needs to be refilled every third drink.

And the drinks are maybe one tick. Possibly no tick.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: March 09, 2014, 06:41:40 am »

Is there a difference in [TRAINABLE] tag to make it just trainable for war or hunting?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7292 on: March 09, 2014, 11:52:57 am »

Is there a difference in [TRAINABLE] tag to make it just trainable for war or hunting?

[TRAINABLE] = war and hunting
[TRAINABLE_WAR]
[TRAINABLE_HUNTING]

last two are pretty self explanatory, it's like how INTELLIGENT is the combination of CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »

Is it possible for a creature to have a natural ability that can only be used if they have an internal "organ"? (Can't use it if they don't have it)

Also, I was wondering if there were a way for a creature to be able to turn a body part into another, a la X's Buster.

I'm trying to create a Reploid based off of the Mega Man X series.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:09 pm »

1. yes
2. no

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

Hi everyone,

Just getting my feet wet with modding, and I'd like to see if a few things are possible before I go too far down a potentially blind alley.

• When a creature has [MALE] and [FEMALE] castes, any sterile castes show up as female.  This seems to be based on insects with queens and drones, but is there some way to have a sterile caste referred to as "he" or preferably "it"?  Putting [UNGENDERED] in the sterile caste generates an error, so that's not the way to do it.
  • Is there a way to hook a check/reaction/syndrome/whatever into a standard action like mining?  In vanilla, there is a 25% chance that mining a rock leaves a stone, 0% for soil and 100% for gems.  Is there a way to slip in a % chance of something else happening?  One idea is hidden gems (for example, 0.5% of granite spaces yield a specific rough gem) and the other is living rock (0.05% of granite spaces yield a granite fiend, 0.05% of marble spaces yield a marble fiend, etc.)
  • Ideally I'd like to be able to remove any loopholes with the above, such as carving up-staris then removing the stairs to avoid the possibility of creature spawning.
  • Can a workshop consume the person constructing it without insta-killing anyone else who ever tries to use it? ("Urist McSoapmaker, welcome to the fortress!  Step right over here...")
  • If I mod the wagon to be made out of stone, will treehuggers use them?

Thanks everyone.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: March 09, 2014, 04:26:28 pm »

Also, I was wondering if there were a way for a creature to be able to turn a body part into another, a la X's Buster.
Maybe. The transforming robot there heals its physical damage when it moves between forms, but its overall health is controlled by its temperature (which isn't changed between transformations).

Alternatively, you could use the transformation alone, changing between castes that are identical except for the "transforming" body part, but transformations will result in full healing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: March 09, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »

So, once upon a time, I crafted an ore by the name of "awesomeite", which could be smelted into any metal except adamantine.

Three years later, I've returned to tweak the details a bit.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:AWESOMEITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:awesomeite]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten awesomeite]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling awesomeite]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:HEMATITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMONITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GARNIERITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:NATIVE_GOLD:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:NATIVE_SILVER:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:NATIVE_COPPER:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MALACHITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GALENA:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SPHALERITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:CASSITERITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:NATIVE_PLATINUM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:TETRAHEDRITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:HORN_SILVER:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:BISMUTHINITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:ILMENITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:RUTILE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MAGNETITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:BAUXITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:NATIVE_ALUMINUM:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:IRON:50]
[METAL_ORE:ALUMINUM:5]
[METAL_ORE:BISMUTH:5]
[METAL_ORE:TIN:5]
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:5]
[METAL_ORE:LEAD:5]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:5]
[METAL_ORE:NICKEL:5]
[METAL_ORE:GOLD:5]
[METAL_ORE:PLATINUM:5]
[METAL_ORE:ZINC:5]
[SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:11]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12001]

This should result in the ore occurring naturally as a cluster within other ores (including a handful that can't be smelted in-game). I think I already have that worked out, but if I did anything painfully wrong now would be a good time to mention it.

What I want to do next is create a "new metal" called "something", so that the smelter reaction will be "smelt something from awesomeite" instead of "smelt iron from awesomeite" (since iron is not guaranteed and the entire point is it could be anything).
For obvious reasons I want to make sure that "something" doesn't ever actually appear in-game. Giving awesomeite a 0% chance of producing "something" is the obvious first step, but is there anything else I need to make sure I have covered? I think giving it the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tag might work, but that might have. side effects.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: March 09, 2014, 05:19:47 pm »

So, once upon a time, I crafted an ore by the name of "awesomeite", which could be smelted into any metal except adamantine.

Three years later, I've returned to tweak the details a bit.

What I want to do next is create a "new metal" called "something", so that the smelter reaction will be "smelt something from awesomeite" instead of "smelt iron from awesomeite" (since iron is not guaranteed and the entire point is it could be anything).
For obvious reasons I want to make sure that "something" doesn't ever actually appear in-game. Giving awesomeite a 0% chance of producing "something" is the obvious first step, but is there anything else I need to make sure I have covered? I think giving it the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tag might work, but that might have. side effects.

Just give it a regular old [SPECIAL]. [DEEP_SPECIAL] will make it appear the same way the adamantine does, and [DEEP_SURFACE] will make it cover the surface of the HFS.

Though creating a 'something' metal may not be necessary, as most smelter reactions say 'smelt magnetite ore' or 'smelt cassiterite ore' instead of 'smelt X from Y'.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: March 09, 2014, 06:18:01 pm »

It's been a while since I actually played, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong. It certainly used to be phrased like that, at some point.

I'll go without the "something" to start with, then.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: March 09, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »

Hi everyone,

Just getting my feet wet with modding, and I'd like to see if a few things are possible before I go too far down a potentially blind alley.

• When a creature has [MALE] and [FEMALE] castes, any sterile castes show up as female.  This seems to be based on insects with queens and drones, but is there some way to have a sterile caste referred to as "he" or preferably "it"?  Putting [UNGENDERED] in the sterile caste generates an error, so that's not the way to do it.
  • Is there a way to hook a check/reaction/syndrome/whatever into a standard action like mining?  In vanilla, there is a 25% chance that mining a rock leaves a stone, 0% for soil and 100% for gems.  Is there a way to slip in a % chance of something else happening?  One idea is hidden gems (for example, 0.5% of granite spaces yield a specific rough gem) and the other is living rock (0.05% of granite spaces yield a granite fiend, 0.05% of marble spaces yield a marble fiend, etc.)
  • Ideally I'd like to be able to remove any loopholes with the above, such as carving up-staris then removing the stairs to avoid the possibility of creature spawning.
  • Can a workshop consume the person constructing it without insta-killing anyone else who ever tries to use it? ("Urist McSoapmaker, welcome to the fortress!  Step right over here...")
  • If I mod the wagon to be made out of stone, will treehuggers use them?

Thanks everyone.

1. There is no [UNGENDERED] tag however with the use of interactions you can have a caste make themselves sterile even if they are MALE or FEMALE, the how do I made already, and can share it since it's so simple:
Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)
2.Can't add anything such as hooks saddly, all you can do is make custom reactions with percent chances, or special VEINS of imposter minerals/layers (CLAY, CLAY_FAKE) CLAY_FAKE might on mining drops a boiling stone that when inhaled causing syndromes, or look at DFHack they might have made something for this already. (I don't follow it much, I don't like making mods that rely on third party utilities)
3. ^^^
4.Not construction, but a reaction that makes a boiling stone (DFHack has an autosyndrome function that might be your thing) that when on repeat makes boiling poison stones.
5. Treehuggers will use wooden wagons because wagons are the only multi-tile creature in game atm, and creatures even if made of wood don't count as wood (by-products will so don't sell the butchered bits to them) if you want the tree huggers to use wagons enable them in their ENTITY.

EDIT:
Also for number 1. as I reread it over again:
MALE gives a "he" descriptor
FEMALE gives a "she" descriptor
having neither of the above gives an "it" desciptor
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:03:18 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: March 10, 2014, 07:12:00 am »

If an entity has permitted reactions for producing a weapon, but not the [WEAPON] tag for it, will the invaders have this weapon?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:20 am »

If an entity has permitted reactions for producing a weapon, but not the [WEAPON] tag for it, will the invaders have this weapon?
As far as I know, worldgen doesn't actually use custom reactions.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:30 am »

Well, I know that they *will* use a metal that is created through a reagent-less reaction, even if they don't have [metal_pref] (that would be the only metal they use).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:55 am »

If an entity is permitted to use a weapon [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE] then their culture dictates that they should craft/forge and use them, custom reactions won't make them decide to use them, it's not in their culture. But if a custom reaction produces a raw material (wood, leather?, metal, stone, etc) they will use that willingly  because now they have access to it and materials are not culture related, it's free for all to use if they can.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 544