Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999440 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7500 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »

Can a filled cage with a specific creature be used as buildmats? As in: Pig Farm Workshop requires pig in cage yo build.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: April 08, 2014, 07:56:33 pm »

Can a filled cage with a specific creature be used as buildmats? As in: Pig Farm Workshop requires pig in cage yo build.

no

you know at this point in your modding career if you have to ask it's probably a no... though I do get surprised sometimes

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7502 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

... at this point in your modding career ... surprised sometimes

Even tho Meph has delved into a great deal of the raws, I'm sure there are a few places that he hasn't touched yet or got into. Like me for example I know nothing about the COPY_TAGS_FROM or CREATURE_VARIANTS and a few others, Like I decided to see if a body part can have more then one category (like creatures can have many CREATURE_CLASSes) answer is no, the last declared CATEGORY tag is picked.

As for asking if a cage "containing" a "creature" can be used for a build mat, I don't see why that is not a valid question. Remember if questions are not asked, we are stuck with the same answers.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: April 08, 2014, 08:29:45 pm »

Thus why I didn't discourage asking

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: April 08, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »

Creature variations seem to calculate creature sizes for the creatures they're used for, as none of the animal men using the tag have predefined sizes. How it calculates the size baffles me, however; You've got these kobold-sized hamster men, but also sperm whale men whose size are shrunken relative to that of a true sperm wale.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:54 pm »

How it calculates the size baffles me
Here's the relevant tag (from the creature variation definition):
Code: [Select]
[CV_NEW_TAG:GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE:70000]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: April 08, 2014, 08:54:50 pm »

What that does is make the average adult size of the creature 70000 (same as the average human) and adjust all other sizes by the same percentage (so you get similar growth rates).

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:33 pm »

What that does is make the average adult size of the creature 70000 (same as the average human) and adjust all other sizes by the same percentage (so you get similar growth rates).
Thought it averaged the base creature's size with 70,000?
Giving you size 12.535M Sperm Whale People, and size 35k Spider People?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: April 08, 2014, 10:17:23 pm »

I'll admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to 90% of the stuff when it comes to material properties. Proooobably gonna have to outsource those for my mod.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: April 09, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »

Thought it averaged the base creature's size with 70,000?
Giving you size 12.535M Sperm Whale People, and size 35k Spider People?
That's what it does. I've tested that in arena mode, too.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7510 on: April 12, 2014, 04:52:41 am »

no

you know at this point in your modding career if you have to ask it's probably a no... though I do get surprised sometimes
Usually I would try it out, but as you are aware, i only have a phone to go online till june/july. Still, asking doesnt hurt... or the answer could have been: yes, with script x ;)

And hugo, you know so much more about creature modding than I do, its not even funny any more ;)

Ps: I got the thought because i was asked about fake-animal-farming and randomly saw another post in which a person build a workshop that needs cages and accidently took some with undead giant spiders in them. Would have been neat to use this as a feature.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:56:08 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: April 12, 2014, 06:23:52 am »

On the topic of things in other things:

The mod I've been working on is going to try to implement 1920's tech as best it can given DF's limitations, so I was wondering: Would a target container for a reaction's output be able to hold a gas? I'm asking this because I'm likely going to try to recreate chemical industry-type stuff, and I'd hate to put it all together only to have it fail because of in-game physics.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7512 on: April 12, 2014, 08:24:14 am »

I cant remember doing it myself, but it should. Otherwise just make a fake gas-product, like a tool thats called "canister of x gas".

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: April 12, 2014, 08:32:29 am »

Can you make an noble that is appointed by the noble it replaces? Also, are the dwarven captain and lieutenant positions necessary?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:09:43 pm by TheFlame52 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7514 on: April 12, 2014, 10:06:52 am »

On the topic of things in other things:

The mod I've been working on is going to try to implement 1920's tech as best it can given DF's limitations, so I was wondering: Would a target container for a reaction's output be able to hold a gas? I'm asking this because I'm likely going to try to recreate chemical industry-type stuff, and I'd hate to put it all together only to have it fail because of in-game physics.

Remember we keep gaseous materials in a liquid state, and like DF Gas would simple escape. So make the material boil at room temp and the container always cold (I think that should keep it from boiling) if not just make them a liquid. That way you can make canisters and your reactions take empty ones. Empty Canister (tool) plus some material in a workshop = canister of argon. then you can make lightbulbs (I think argon was used, been awhile since I saw how those where made)

And remember sulfuric acid is made from boiling water and sulfur (brimstone) and the gaseous by-products merge and the cooling makes it acid. (rough explanation)
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 544