Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999365 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7530 on: April 13, 2014, 09:43:25 pm »

You're missing [OBJECT:CREATURE] in the awakened stone file.

Graphics sets tend to make changes to tiles.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:35 pm »

You're missing [OBJECT:CREATURE] in the awakened stone file.

Graphics sets tend to make changes to tiles.
Thank you!  I knew it has to be something glaringly obvious.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #7532 on: April 14, 2014, 07:12:30 am »

>Vattic

Ironmen, not much help. They are technically just tincans filled with mildy smelly gas. Very fragile. I like to have sure way apply multiple layers to make something little more harder to kill even if layers can be cut...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7533 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:23 am »

>Vattic

Ironmen, not much help. They are technically just tincans filled with mildy smelly gas. Very fragile. I like to have sure way apply multiple layers to make something little more harder to kill even if layers can be cut...

What he was suggesting was "look" and "inspire" as the ELEMENTMAN_IRON has all the things you want (layering iron, custom tissues, gas tissue. You could even make a liquid tissue if you wanted just from looking at how this creature is setup)

remember to layer a creature you need tissues, and tissue need materials, then you need a body, so you can layer those tissues on.

MATERIALs
TISSUES or BODY (which comes first doesn't matter too much)
BODY_DETAIL_PLANs and/or TISSUE_LAYER (have to be after BODY and TISSUE calls as these mainly affect BODY and use TISSUEs)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #7534 on: April 14, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »

Actually, adding multiple layers is quite easy. Through not sure how well it works. At least, can't cut easily steel limbs now with adamantine blades. No, instead your weapon seem to get stuck more often...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »

if you want to prevent stuckins there is a creature tag for that [NOSTUCKINS]
makes sense if you have a metal creature

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: April 14, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

Thanks to Huge and Putnam, I now have the minimal bits in place to have stones turn the tables and chase Dwarven miners around the fort.  Some play-balance issues need to be worked out in the arena, but tuning will be fun.  I can work out how to make a graphics set display a single icon for the creature, but I'd prefer to have some variation by caste.

Is there a way to pick a different tile from the graphics set based on caste?  Since the only difference will be coloring, is there way to specify a single image but alter the colors either with CASTE_COLOR inside the creature_???.txt file or some voodoo inside the graphics_???.txt file?  For example, an Awakened Granite would properly be white with green eyes, while an Awakened Sandstone would properly be brown with yellow eyes.

The other bit that I need is the actual syndrome to cause a dwarf to "spawn" one of those Awakened Stones when he/she mines out the wrong tile.  It sounds like there is a standard way to do this, and I already have the boil-away stone ready.  But my search-engine-judo is apparently not up to the task of finding a prototype spawning syndrome.  I'd actually like to do it as two different syndromes for each Awakened Stone caste.

The first makes the miner OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, and the second causes the spawner bodypart to appear and animate into an Awakened Stone.  If the Dwarf has given tribute at the proper shrine, he/she will be given immunity to the first syndrome causing the Awakened Stone to spawn as a friendly unit.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:50 pm »

Can you make an noble that is appointed by the noble it replaces? Also, are the dwarven captain and lieutenant positions necessary?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: April 14, 2014, 04:24:01 pm »

Is there a way to pick a different tile from the graphics set based on caste?

no

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:21 pm »

no

But you can make different castes appear as different colors of the same tile right? I seem to remember someone having multiple golem castes that were different colored depending on their caste.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: April 14, 2014, 04:31:06 pm »

Also, you can have different tiles for professions in the same creature, but by default creatures are "peasant"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: April 14, 2014, 09:09:19 pm »

no

But you can make different castes appear as different colors of the same tile right? I seem to remember someone having multiple golem castes that were different colored depending on their caste.

There are tokens for CASTE_TILE, CASTE_COLOR and CASTE_GLOWTILE, which is why I thought there might be a way to pick from different cells of a graphics set.  If I were to make up an entire tileset just for this mod, in principle I could make caste-specific tiles.  I just don't want to go that route.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:00 am »

Ah, it turns out my idea to have mud coursing through the awakened stone's veins is not feasible.  Mud is considered solid, and solids don't bleed correctly (I ended up with "a dusting of awakened stone skin" where it bled).  Forcing it to be a liquid reveals that there is no liquid state name for mud ("a pool of awakened stone n/a").

After quite a bit of tinkering, I just went with GOO for blood (like the fire imps).
Just got back, updating:

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

make your own mud, you can change the state names and color for goo.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: April 15, 2014, 10:42:13 am »

make your own mud, you can change the state names and color for goo.
I know I can make a material called mud, but if I was going to use mud, I wanted it to "muddy" the tiles properly.  Because life-and-death combat to set up farming is Funner than bringing buckets of water...

The original idea was to use magma for blood, but it would have made them too hazardous to attack.  Goo is fine since it looks like crude oil.  Still tweaking these guys around the edges (like taking out the throat, neck and ribcage... these are basically just body/heads with limbs).

Does anyone have a pointer to a syndrome that causes a bodypart to drop off and reincarnate into a "spawned" creature?
Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 544