Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755516 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5400 on: February 21, 2013, 06:22:51 pm »

Just because there has been so much recent discussion of attacking 47 times simultaneously, penalties for multiple actions in a turn, and conversations in the middle of combat, I wrote up a (relatively short) Suggestion Thread for discussing concepts like Balance and Concentration in battle into a formalized mechanic rather than individual penalties.

Since we're not really supposed to discuss suggestions in this thread, I'd invite those who are talking about the topic into that thread to continue the discussion.

However, while I'm on the topic, I do want to ask:
What are your current plans regarding how combat penalties for pulling stunts to behave?  As in, what sort of "flow" to combat do you want it to have?  Do you want combat to basically be stand-up attack trading like now, but with just putting in penalties for doing crazy things, or can trying to be Jet Li wind up with you flat on your face? 

Do you want to make combat less a matter of hacking at opportune times, or more of trying to knock the opponent down to get that opportunity to strike "the decisive blow"?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:47 pm »

Quote from: devlog
either simultaneously with their other actions (like walking and fighting) or instead of them

so in that sense it doesn't necessarily take up a turn of their time, it sounds like. I don't know if your NPC companions will be likely to take such a pragmatic approach to it, though.

I can only hope and pray that one day some manner of skill-check-based conversation options will make it in, such that my character with creation points invested in Comedian and a similarly-skilled companion can toss witty, context-sensitive puns back and forth to each other about the enemies they're killing, even while in the process of killing them. Action movie style, y'know?

Kogan Adventuredwarf (shouted as he cuts the legs out from under a bandit chief)
: "'Aye Saravesh, wot's the difference between a catapult, an' a bandit chief from the neck up?"

Saravesh Companioneer (calling back, while running a goblin through with his spear): "I dunno Kogan, what is it?"

Kogan Adventuredwarf (he swings, hacking the bandit's head clean off and sending it sailing off in an arc eight tiles away): (pauses as he watches the head land) "A good hundred 'an thirty yards, I'd say."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:28 pm »

I just wish there could be separate point pools for social skills and physical skills. I mean, it's not like people training in the army spend absolutely no time socializing, so having someone have no clue about how to tell a joke because they spent time training doesn't make much sense.

What are your current plans regarding how combat penalties for pulling stunts to behave?  As in, what sort of "flow" to combat do you want it to have?  Do you want combat to basically be stand-up attack trading like now, but with just putting in penalties for doing crazy things, or can trying to be Jet Li wind up with you flat on your face? 

And if we have a lot of experience in the appropriate skills, can we Jet Li and make other people flat on their faces?

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »

I just wish there could be separate point pools for social skills and physical skills. I mean, it's not like people training in the army spend absolutely no time socializing, so having someone have no clue about how to tell a joke because they spent time training doesn't make much sense.

For that matter, I'm not much fan of the min-max-happy way the current point-buy system works for Advneturers - attributes like strength and agility are head-and-shoulders better than attributes like musicality, which has no in-game use, and basically exists to be subtracted from for an extra attribute point. 

If you're going to use a point-buy system, then the costs have to accurately reflect the value.

Otherwise, it makes more sense to do random attribute scores with re-rolls so that there's at least a chance for characters with different levels of oddball stats.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: February 22, 2013, 01:34:05 am »

The bit about adventurers storing stuff learned in their heads makes me think of Monkey Island where Guybrush has to fight the lesser pirates and collect the best insults and rejoinders.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: February 22, 2013, 01:39:18 am »

The bit about adventurers storing stuff learned in their heads makes me think of Monkey Island where Guybrush has to fight the lesser pirates and collect the best insults and rejoinders.
If you can use your witty banter to throw an opponent off guard with your social skills, that might not be far off. That makes me wonder...

Will we ever be able to taunt/demoralize opponents in such a way that it might cause some form of penalty for them to perform actions?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: February 22, 2013, 02:51:28 am »

If you can use your witty banter to throw an opponent off guard with your social skills, that might not be far off. That makes me wonder...

Will we ever be able to taunt/demoralize opponents in such a way that it might cause some form of penalty for them to perform actions?

...like reading them your list of kills? (hehehehuhuahuahua!)
where is up?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:57 am »

Bronze Colossus: ...AND THAT IS WHY I AM IMPRESSIVE. PREPARE TO DIE!
The honey badger has become enraged!
The bronze colossus has been struck down.

Taunting might backfire sometimes, maybe.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: February 22, 2013, 09:01:01 am »

If you can use your witty banter to throw an opponent off guard with your social skills

Yes. I want this.

I want this today.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:38 am »

Nex thing up : talk your foes into suicide.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: February 22, 2013, 11:13:25 am »

For that matter, I'm not much fan of the min-max-happy way the current point-buy system works for Advneturers - attributes like strength and agility are head-and-shoulders better than attributes like musicality, which has no in-game use, and basically exists to be subtracted from for an extra attribute point. 

If you're going to use a point-buy system, then the costs have to accurately reflect the value.

Otherwise, it makes more sense to do random attribute scores with re-rolls so that there's at least a chance for characters with different levels of oddball stats.
There's always going to be a min/max build(s) with a point-buy system, that's just unchangeable. For what we have right now, though, my adventurers routinely have points in "useless" skills because I'm creating the adventurer as a person instead of just min/maxing their combat potential. Being penalized in points for this is fine, so far as I'm concerned -- not everyone is a jack of all trades, and being an empathetic adventurer with a strong background in swimming but not particularly well-built or trained in combat suits my needs fine ... I don't want separate pools of point-buy, because that would defeat the purpose of creating well-rounded adventurers with flaws or non-min/maxed builds.

Something like a randomizer would be a good option for people like me and I imagine some other types of Adventure Mode players to have access to, though, so I'm all for that as well.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: February 22, 2013, 04:14:07 pm »

Will we be seeing a change to how companions are recruited with the new conversation system? Specifically will it become more context based?

ie.
Adventurer: "Will you join me on my adventure?"
Urist McMeatshield: "What is in it for me?"
Adventurer: "I am on a quest to kill the bandit master Snodub Randomname."
Urist McMeatshield: "I know this fiend! in 132 he killed my dear aunt Agnus!"
Urist McMeatshield: "I would be honored to join your quest!"
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: February 22, 2013, 04:46:25 pm »

Nex thing up : talk your foes into suicide.

Hannibal Lecter did this in Silence of the Lambs right ? Got into someone's mind so perfectly he could torture a man into swallowing his own tongue overnight.

However, in the context of a fight, this isn't really possible. Reptilian brain takes over, rage is favored over sorrow ; any mental pain is "recycled" as anger fuel.
You'd have to exhaust someone enough for the adrenaline to recede before being able to tap into more complex mental processes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: February 22, 2013, 07:40:20 pm »

There's always going to be a min/max build(s) with a point-buy system, that's just unchangeable. For what we have right now, though, my adventurers routinely have points in "useless" skills because I'm creating the adventurer as a person instead of just min/maxing their combat potential. Being penalized in points for this is fine, so far as I'm concerned -- not everyone is a jack of all trades, and being an empathetic adventurer with a strong background in swimming but not particularly well-built or trained in combat suits my needs fine ... I don't want separate pools of point-buy, because that would defeat the purpose of creating well-rounded adventurers with flaws or non-min/maxed builds.

Something like a randomizer would be a good option for people like me and I imagine some other types of Adventure Mode players to have access to, though, so I'm all for that as well.

Only in real life, people don't lack personalities or social skills just because they spend time training in something physical. I'd like seperate pools so that you might put points into swimming at the cost of spearman, or consoler at the cost of comedian, but not spearman at the cost of consoler.

Alternately, just increase the total number of points to spend but limit how many can be spent on physical/mental attributes/skills. This limit could be more than half for either category, so that you could still put more into one than the other, but not put all into one.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: February 22, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »

If you can use your witty banter to throw an opponent off guard with your social skills

Yes. I want this.

I want this today.

"You fight like a dairy farmer." ... "How appropriate. You fight like a cow." ... ?

That would be hilarious. XD
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 748