Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60

Author Topic: The Magnificent Timelord - Epilogued  (Read 240910 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Magnificent Timelord: Bowienauts of Freedom - Signups open.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:24 pm »

Oooh, Davy Crockett's a good one. Wish I'd thought of it.

His connection to Bowie is just an added bonus.

There are too many awesome characters here. Timelord Bowie must employ them all!

But seriously, this could be highly entertaining. I am following the hell out of this.

Get in, then!  You should play Mafia too.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »

Ugh, will make a sheet then.

But it will arrive in...six hours or so from this post? Hope the timelimit would agree.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »

I made mine in half a minute!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15:07 pm »

There are too many awesome characters here. Timelord Bowie must employ them all!

Get in, then!  You should play Mafia too.

Nah, I can't. I'd feel bad taking one of the 4 coveted spots using one of my many Amazing Character IdeasTM, especially when I don't know if I'll have the time for it. Definitely watching though!

EDIT: Okay... against my better judgement, I submit the following for the approval of Mr. Stardust Bowie:

Aleister Crowley
Among the world's most well-known occultists, Aleister Crowley was an English aristocrat by birth, an occultist by trade, a traveller of the world, and even a part-time spy. In addition to his hermetic knowledge of astral projection, communing with spirits, and other occult practices, Crowley lived a pretty liberal lifestyle for the era; dabbling in things ranging from meditation to mind-altering substances, he was renowned as "The Wickedest Man in the World" back in his day.

Inventory:
The Book of Law - A tome of occult practices, supposedly dictated to him by some Egyptian gods and other divine spirits. Inside are the rituals which enable him to astrally project, evoke and banish spirits, use divination to answer questions, and other occult mumbo-jumbo.

Bio:
While trying to commune with his Guardian Angel, Crowley instead found that David Bowie had manifested in his sanctum. Thinking the androgynous, be-sequined Timelord a manifestation of some divine spirit he agreed to join his cause, pledging his mastery of all things occult to stopping the Unholy Triangle of Evil.

Pros: Charismatic world-traveling spy, and master of magick!
Cons: Egotistical, and probably nutters.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:53:21 pm by Solifuge »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 06:14:27 am »

I made mine in half a minute!
I'm not that historically savvy, unlike certain powers in this world.  :P

Great, now have to think out of the box to get someone important.

Wait...

Spoiler: Historical Sheet! (click to show/hide)

((Considered putting some weapon based on Quantum Physics...but books always win.))
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:15:44 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:05 am »

Blimey. Some of those are tremendous. I'll be choosing/doing character sheets hopefully later today, but not for at least 6 or 7 hours, so if anyone has any amazing inspiration there's plenty of time. I'll probably PM players a choice of one from two bonuses/powers to start with.

It's going to be hard work deciding, so hundreds of apologies in advance to anyone who gets waitlisted.

Edit:
Right. I am busy applying the dinoHITLER facepunch test.

Second edit:
Right, I'm sorry, I don't have time to finish today - I had hoped to PM a choice of starting abilities to the starting four. I'll try to get this done tomorrow.

Third edit:
Right, that's the starting four. I'll post the waitlist and the first turn when I can.

Last edit:

Note: Special powers, and particularly cooldowns, are subject to change (i.e. balancing) whilst we get going, and please bold your actions!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:45:36 pm by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
The Magnificent Timelord: Bowienauts of Freedom. Turn Zero.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »

PRELUDE

“Hey man,” begins the Magnificent Timelord Bowie. “Your first task will be the easiest of the three: a surgical strike on the very headquarters of Chairman Miaow himself. There’s no point messing about with stealth on this one – you’re gonna be going straight in and straight out, and speed will be of the essence. If you take too long on this, you’re gonna get surrounded by his fanatical and numerous underlings.”

“Now, I know some of you might be feeling a little freaky after the temporal disruption that brought you here – that’s perfectly normal, man. You might feel a bit weak for a while, but your freedom-loving special gifts should come back to you as you get used to the time and space manipulations.”

“Right. Are you ready? In five minutes the bowiecopter is gonna start revving its engines, and you four have gotta be on it. You’re going to be dropped on the top of the Communist HQ after a brief rocket strafing, and then you’ll have about fifteen minutes to fight your way through to Chairman Miaow’s lair and get back to the LZ for extraction. Our scientists figure that’s about all the time you’ll get before the area gets swarmed by Revolutionary Guard. So: get in, get out, and stay cool, man.”
The Timelord crocks his head and pauses to think for a second. “Men.”

“Remember – you’re fighting for freedom. Not just here, but across hundreds of separate times and worlds. Your actions will, like, echo though eternities and stuff. Pretty freaky if you think about it.”

“OK – last thing. You’ve all been equipped with a groovy neural implant kind of thing. Don’t worry! It’s perfectly safe. You can activate it with thought, and it will display certain information overlaid directly onto your left retina. That’s why I like eyepatches. Anyway – you can refer to it when you need to, but for now, all you need to know is that this guy,”
and here Bowie activates a holoprojector with a deft flick of the wrist, “is the bad guy:”

”Take him down.”

TURN ZERO

As the bowiecopter speeds low across the war ravaged Chinese countryside, Paul McCartney, The Last Beatle, is cradling his guitar gently in his hands silently mouthing some loving lyrics when suddenly a second craft blasts past them at supersonic speed. Seconds later they hear the muffled explosions of rockets impacting the ground, distant mewlings of terror, chunks of earth thudding back down towards the ground. As Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter, stands beside him pointing out the impact points, the wide-eyed Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, dangles his legs out the open side as the bowiecopter flies in towards the target: the Communist HQ lies ahead!

The technologically advanced craft carrying the four bowienauts banks round the target as it reduces speed and prepares for the drop-off.

It descends to a hovering point above the LZ!

Below, the top of the vast pyramid that forms the entrance to the Chinese Communist HQ seems to rise to meet them. Barely a dozen metres away stands what must be the richly decorated entrance, flanked by two large poles. On the north east edge of the small plateau a handful of guards rush out of a strongpoint about fifty metres away from the hovering intruders, clearly taken by surprise. The bowiecopter’s armament barks out a burst of ammo as it whirs into life and the guards are cut down in a flash of blood and fur. Two more are visible taking cover in the doorway, one see his comrades disappear in a blur and runs straight back inside the bunker.

The pilot’s voice breaks over the light buzz of static on comms.

“GO GO GO! Lima Zulu is HOT, we gotta get outta here! You got fifteen minutes guys!”

The co-pilot leans over his shoulder to shout at Archimedes of Syracuse over the roaring din. He points to his own purple outfit and then points back at the Greek.

”Hey that means you too dude! Nice robes, man. I should know.”

VITAL STATISTICS OF THE BOWIENAUTS

Spoiler: Archimedes of Syracuse (click to show/hide)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magnificent Timelord: Bowienauts of Freedom. Turn Zero.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:53 pm »

"Go, boys! See how they run like pigs from a gun!"

Paul McCartney bursts out of the technologically advanced helicopter, spinning his guitar around his head. He waits for his companions to follow suit then aims the instrument at the last remaining MEOW MINION and shoots! While the minion is experiencing conflicting emotions, he runs through the fancy doors.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:53:35 pm by freeformschooler »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »

"Davy Crockett must travel 1d6 turns in the direction of Texas."

That is amazing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

"I killed a bear when I was three- you don't stand a chance."

Charge the guard and stab him, and find a firearm somewhere, preferably a rifle.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »

This is going to be epic. I'll just be calculating the value of cat while waiting now.  :D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 03:55:58 am »

Archimedes hurriedly finishes the calculations he was drawing on the floor of the helicopter. Whitout saying a word, he jumps out of the helicopter; for those who do not understand the full scope Mathemagics do not deserve his respect. After that he takes cover, because bullets tend to be rather disrespectfull to mathematics .

Multiply this, also take cover
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:22:57 am by 10ebbor10 »

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:06 am »

"Crikey! Those are some blooming good guns ya have there, mate!" Steve said as he hopped out of the chopper. Waiting untill Davy Crockett charged the guard that was left, Irwin darted towards the door to the bunker. "Now, what we have here are Chinese Communists, very dangerous if treated incorrectly..." He commented, seemingly to himself. A habit from all those wildlife shows, he guessed.

Scout out the doorway to the Chinese HQ.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
The Magnificent Timelord: Bowienauts of Freedom. Turn One.
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:50 am »

CHAPTER ONE: TURN ONE

"Now, what we have here,” crackles a voice over the neural implant communications net, “Are common or garden Chinese Communists, very dangerous if treated incorrectly... Oh, crikey mate! You know, I'm not sure I'm right – I think these might be one of the lesser spotted Chinese Communist Cattybaras – I've been trying to get my hands on one of these for years! Strewth! Are you filming this, guys? This fella's enormous!"

Paul McCartney bursts out of the technologically advanced helicopter, spinning his guitar around his head. He waits for his companions to follow suit then aims the instrument at the last remaining MEOW MINION and shoots! While the minion is experiencing conflicting emotions, he runs through the fancy doors.

"Go, boys!” shouts McCartney, jumping out of the bowiecopter and dramatically swinging his trusty guitar around in the air above his head. “See how they run like pigs from a gun! Hmm – perhaps I should note that one down. Hang on!"

As his three squad mates follow out of the chopper, Paul scribbles down a hurried note in his songbook before raising his guitar to his shoulder, lining it up towards the last cattybara cowering in the Communist HQ entrance, and strumming a blast of pure peace and love!

... It's an amazingly moving chord sequence! The guard's eyes mist over! Paul rushes over to the doorway following Davy Crockett.

Archimedes hurriedly finishes the calculations he was drawing on the floor of the helicopter. Whitout saying a word, he jumps out of the helicopter; for those who do not understand the full scope of Mathemagics do not deserve his respect. After that he takes cover, because bullets tend to be rather disrespectfull to mathematics .

Multiply this, also take cover

... Not one for robe-based small talk, Archimedes finishes his calculations and jumps out of the bowiecopter behind his new-found comrades. He shouts out several sets of figures and mentions something about “roughly 62 degrees, chaps!” before looking round to see where he can take cover.

... Totally baffled and beginning to get very distracted by the fascinating construction on which he finds himself, Archimedes stays rooted to the spot in the middle of the LZ!

Charge the guard and stab him, and find a firearm somewhere, preferably a rifle.

"I killed a BEAR when I was three,” shouts Davy Crockett at the whimpering Communist in the doorway, “With my bare hands! You don't stand a chance!"

... The King of the Wild Frontier stabs the communist cattybara in the lower body! He collapses to the floor, bleeding and weeping heavily, entirely incapacitated. ... As Crockett moves to stack up by the doorway, he crouches to the dying minion and snatches up his flintlock rifle, and rummages about in the communist's communist bandoliers to supply himself with a fair quantity of ammo.

Weapon Acquired! Flintlock rifle!

"Crikey! Those are some blooming good guns ya have there, mate!" Steve said as he hopped out of the chopper. Waiting until Davy Crockett charged the guard that was left, Irwin darted towards the door to the bunker. "Now, what we have here are Chinese Communists, very dangerous if treated incorrectly..." He commented, seemingly to himself. A habit from all those wildlife shows, he guessed.

Scout out the doorway to the Chinese HQ.

With his comrades dealing with the remaining guard and stacking up by the door ready for entry, Steve Irwin stops his commentary and rushes to the door, ready to sneak through. ... The door seems to jam! It feels a bit as if someone is holding on to the handle on the other side!

VITAL STATISTICS OF THE BOWIENAUTS

EFFECTS IN EFFECT
The Power of Gentle Loving! The cattybara has been reduced to tears!
Multiply this! Team has one more turn of +1 attack bonus.

Spoiler: Archimedes of Syracuse (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:30:24 am by lawastooshort »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magnificent Timelord: Bowienauts of Freedom. Turn One.
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 09:36:51 am »

"Oh, blast! Jammed! Mmm... gonna try with a little help from my friends." Paul McCartney motioned the others to help him force the door. He kicked it once! He kicked it twice! He kicked it thrice, even though no one says "thrice" anymore!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60