Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2214394 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

@Propman:

Maybe have them basically be put out of commission due to pain while the transformation is underway? I dunno, it just seems weird to me to have them drink/eat/whatever the paste, then turn into robots a week later with no real transitional phase in the interim, and I imagine having your entire biological structure be forcibly converted to cybernetics wouldn't be pleasant :V

Also if you can actually figure out a way to get the interaction to work I will literally love you forever, since in the brief time I was playing around it didn't seem as though there was any convenient way to get units to target themselves with interactions promptly (the old trick where omitting the USAGE_HINT tag would make a unit use an interaction immediately whenever it could doesn't seem to work anymore, and I'm not sure how to replace it :( Used it pretty extensively too, much sads).

E:
Also, courtesy link to the discord chat since there isn't one on this page:

We've created a Discord channel to discuss things! Feel free to join! https://discord.gg/0g2sUaS4K5R68cpr
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

I was intending to give them some sort of fever; perhaps something that causes them to get sporadically dizzy and sick as their body is reconstructed from the inside?

As for the interaction bit, I got that solved a while ago: having them use greet, or aliternatively if that doesn't work in the case of the unstable blob it'll probably be crazed which will cause it to auto-proc one of the transformations at random as soon as something approches it; I use a similar system in order to make this particular creature transform into a slew of various monsters:

Code: [Select]

[CREATURE:FOE_MINOR_1]
[ARENA_RESTRICTED]
[DESCRIPTION:Short for "Field on Enemy", this strange creature is not what it appears to be.]
[NAME:F.O.E:F.O.Es:F.O.E]
[CASTE_NAME:F.O.E:F.O.Es:F.O.E]
[CREATURE_TILE:4]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:0:3]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[LARGE_ROAMING][LARGE_PREDATOR]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:50:100]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3]
[FREQUENCY:60]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[MEANDERER]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[NO_DRINK]
[NO_EAT]
[NO_FEVERS]
[NOBREATHE]
[EXTRAVISION]
[MAGMA_VISION]
[NOEMOTION]
[NOFEAR]
[NONAUSEA]
[NOPAIN]
[NOSTUN]
[NOEMOTION]
[NOTHOUGHT]
[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[CRAZED]
[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY]
[TISSUE:STRUCTURE]
[TISSUE_NAME:structure:structures]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:GLASS_CRYSTAL:NONE]
[MUSCULAR]
[CONNECTS]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:SOLID]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:FEATHERS]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:STRUCTURE]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_FLYING_GAITS:400:298:176:100:1900:2900] 
[ITEMCORPSE:NONE]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_1]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Exile]
[CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:1]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_2]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Crundle]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_3]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Kedama (male)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_4]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Kedama (female)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_5]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Yukkuri Reimu (female)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_6]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Yukkuri Reimu (male)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_7]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Yukkuri Marisa (female)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_8]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Yukkuri Marisa (male)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_9]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Hungry Head]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_10]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Matango]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_11]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Evil Eye]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_12]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Bakebake (1)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_13]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Bakebake (2)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_14]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Bakebake (3)]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FOE_MINOR_OVERWORLD_15]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Encounter Bakebake (4)]

Of course, it's not a perfect system, but if you want a sort of mimic type creature that will transform into something nasty as soon as it comes into contact with something else, it works. The cyborg transformation for things that don't become the mutagenic blob will be a more straightforward transition; the change is part of the initial syndrome, but the actual transform bit doesn't happen until the end of the cycle, with probability determening whether the dwarf transforms into a jackborg, a drone, or a blob.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if it was already said, but what is the self-targeting interaction for again ?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry if it was already said, but what is the self-targeting interaction for again ?

I believe to initiate the nanite transformation and then possibly to make the unstable blob subsequently shapeshit into a random mutant.

Although, I feel I should point out that it's possible that the latter won't work; apparently if a creature is already transformed, a second transformation-based syndrome can't be applied to it (multiple consecutive transformations within the same syndrome def still work apparently). Haven't verified this myself.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it weird to initiate the transformation via interaction. Wouldn't it be simpler to directly link the transformation syndrome to the paste definition ?

You are right, transformations can't overlap. The easy way to work around this limitation is to tune the transformations timing so that the second one begin 1 tick after the first one end.

(EDIT: I'm currently on Discord by the way)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it weird to initiate the transformation via interaction. Wouldn't it be simpler to directly link the transformation syndrome to the paste definition ?

You are right, transformations can't overlap. The easy way to work around this limitation is to tune the transformations timing so that the second one begin 1 tick after the first one end.

(EDIT: I'm currently on Discord by the way)

Delivering syndromes by interaction gets you a few more options, which I'm far too sleepy to explain or make sense of (I know I probably couldn't make the spawnitis work as well with a substance-based syndrome -- it lets me apply the fever and the transformation as separate concurrent syndromes so that you don't run into the save/load bug while allowing me to prevent it from applying one of the syndromes if they already have the other -- which could result in weirdness such as the transformation happening way after the fever ends because the dwarf was bitten twice in successive months, the first one not successfully applying the transformation syndrome but the second doing so -- by using the IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS(?) tag). But I know they're there.

Might pop into the chat for a bit. Real tired.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My work is close to done, I only have syndromes left to do.

Following a great idea of Frog, I added the possibility to reverse-engineer MUG weapons and Railguns.
Successfully reverse-engineering a piece of technology yield a "codex", an item necessary to produce MUG weaponry/Magnetic weaponry (the codex is not consumed during the reaction).

I also added a new building, the Refinery. In the refinery, we can extract Aluminum from Bauxite, Titanium from Ilmenite and Rutile, Cobalt from Cobaltite and Uranium from Pitchblende.
From these metals, you can smelt new alloys at the Refinery : Staballoy (Titanium+Uranium), High Speed Steel (Cobalt+Pig Iron+Flux) and Titanium Alloy TI 6-4 (Titanium+Aluminum+Iron).

Each reactions at the Refinery require the appropriate Codex (one for each new metals). These codexes can be obtained by decrypting an encoded codex at the Tech Lab. Encoded Codexes will be available from trade with the Corporate. If they are not yet in Spearbreakers as their own entity, I don't mind adding them.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something that occurred to me overnight is that we might end up getting codexes from the dwarven caravan if we're not careful with how we implement them, which would defeat the purpose. I know the game is pretty spotty regarding whether a reaction product will be available for trade or not, though, so there should be a workaround if worst comes to worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Wait, can you make them actual techs, then say that you need a book on a tech to use the tech in crafting? I mean, thats probably similar to what The Great Toady One is planning for research in future, but can you get it working now?

Or are you talking about items called codices, and not the books/scrolls/whatever other variations you can get with libraries?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There shouldn't be any issue concerning codexes. I implemented encrypted codexes and decyphered codexes as tools.
Dwarven caravans won't bring codexes if the codexes are absent from their entity definition (which they are by default)

Only the reaction to produce the codexes is added to the entity.

EDIT: To answer your question Aseaheru, "codexes" are not "tech" like in "research". they are just a physical object that represent the condensed knowledge

EDIT2: Oh darn ! Plural of codex is codices ! My bad !
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:22:28 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

They aren't added on their own. propositions.

Parasolians: Castes have humans and elves with a very strong bias to dwarves. Castes are primarily for flavor, since they aren't playable. Ethics largely mirror vanilla dwarven, though with a somewhat lower regard for martial prowess and higher regard for rule of law and craftsmanship. Can trade for refinery schematics and alloy codices.

Description: A/An [Elf/Dwarf/Human] once in service of Parasol Industries, now trapped on Everoc peddling advanced industrial technology to get by. (Rogue version: This individual has turned to banditry and murder rather than science and industry to survive.)

BT Contractors: Castes have humans, elves, dwarves, and goblins. Slight bias to dwarves, very strong bias to humans (as humans formed the bulk of their Everoc taskforces.)  Ethics mirror vanilla dwarven, with a maxed out regard for skill at arms and power over others (represents regard for chain of command and martial culture of the Contractors.) Weapons and Ballistic Armor codices are traded for from them.

Description: A/An [Elf/Dwarf/Human/Goblin] once in the employ of Ballpoint Technologies, now trapped on Everoc peddling advanced combat technology and hired muscle to get by. (Rogue version: This individual has turned to banditry and murder rather than honest mercenary work to survive.)

This way, we need to stay on good terms with both (at least initially,) to make the most of the tech lab and some other goodies, what with the idea being these are horridly expensive. Of course, we can also cheap out and purchase equally expensive pre-made suits of combat armor and considerably weaker (and cheaper,) coilrifles instead of making the things ourselves.

TRIPLE NINJA'D

@ Asea: We'll have to do the workaround route by making the codexes tools only their entities have normal access to (with an obscene value modifier for those items if possible.) As Nakeen said.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Well, now I need to learn how to mod this, so I can throw in Stone Inc...

Wait, how much time will have passed (in cannon) since Spear Breakers? Stone might have written itself out of the picture...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another bit of information concerning the new added metals. At first I tried to give them properties as close as possible to reality. But soon I began getting headaches from all the formulaes and numbers.

As a consequence, the properties won't reflect their real-life counterparts. They are just subject to my own interpretation and balancing.

(it should be cobalt&uranium < iron < titanium < steel < new alloys)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Whoof.

Science is, indeed, quite hard.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Notably, the new version ads vanilla Codexes/Codices. You might want to figure out a different name for them, to avoid confusion.

Also, courtesy link to the discord chat since there isn't one on this page:

We've created a Discord channel to discuss things! Feel free to join! https://discord.gg/0g2sUaS4K5R68cpr
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 815