Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2218618 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3465 on: July 25, 2012, 09:04:56 pm »

Is epicness a good word for it

Thanks, hans. I get confused easily.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

I do have a few ideas though.

Ballpoint: Near monopoly on larger aircraft and combat aircraft. Moderate number of hypercompetant Security Contractors. Advanced weaponry based off magnetic accelerator technology.

Parasol: Large numbers of "unaffiliated" PMC forces, masking thier involvment in most matters. Does posses heavy armor to make up for thier lack of airpower. Has advanced weaponry (LASER and Mag-Cel)

Eris: Large numbers of fanatically loyal infantry forces and large numbers of medium armor(IFVs/APCs) equipped to fight both heavy armor and airpower. Like Parasol and Ballpoint, they posses magnetic accelerator weapons.

Stone INC: Limited numbers of thier own Contractors. Deploying forces to the city to protect company investments. Again, posses advanced weapon systems, though thiers is of thier own make.

Sewaturet: Global Coalition capitol. Controls the largest highways in the thier part of the world, requiring ground-restricted forces to take the city to do anything else. Compared to most coporate forces, thier equiment is outdated, but have large numbers of Self-Propelled artillary units and numerous small attack aircraft/dropships. Uses outdated propellant driven projectile weapons, except on thier heavy armor units.

These factors will lead to a class 5 clusterfuck.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »

You forgot spearbreakers, and our magical spell to summon Godzilla and Mothra AND Mecha Godzilla to stomp all over our other enemies then kick each other around, then get pointysticked to death by Fischer, AKA Superdorf.

EDIT: Seriously, Splint, i cannot believe you forgot the number one mathematical rule of Spearbreakers: +1 mug for all equations.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:29:14 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »

Spearbreakers has long been destroyed/abandoned by this point in time. It considered a dingey depressing blight on the surface of the world.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

Spearbreakers is by definition doomed to failure and destruction at the hands of our enemies. This is Dwarf Fortress. You do not win. You do not conquer. You survive, for a time. Perhaps you even build a mighty fortress, untouched by the blades of your foes, unconquerable and invulnerable. Even then the FPS death is always slowly creeping toward you, carried on the backs of cats and stones and blood smears, biding it's time.
Losing is fun.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: July 25, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »

HERESY! ELF! Spearbreakers shall never fall! Because unlike other forts, we aren't doing stupid things that practically require Critical Existance Failure.

Like lava cannons.

Or mega projects.

Or forgetting which lever does what.

Or unlocking the clown car.

Or allowing animals to breed uncontrollably.

Or not cleaning up after ourselves.

Zap Branigan ran our fort, and it survived. Sounds like a good bet to me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: July 25, 2012, 09:40:19 pm »

We haven't done any megaprojects because the spawn would keep killing workers. I mean the closest I've done is my overland stature garden and that's only taking a long time because FPS is still on the slow side (and someone I assigned to make some glass blocks hasn't.)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »

HERESY! ELF! Spearbreakers shall never fall! Because unlike other forts, we aren't doing stupid things that practically require Critical Existance Failure.

Like lava cannons.

Or mega projects.

Or forgetting which lever does what.

Or unlocking the clown car.

Or allowing animals to breed uncontrollably.

Or not cleaning up after ourselves.

Zap Branigan ran our fort, and it survived. Sounds like a good bet to me.

We have a megaproject dodge-trap hallway that consists of roughly a thousand upright iron spikes linked to a single lever.
As of this moment, Splint is probably the only person who knows what ANY of the levers do, much less all of them.
It was fully within the plan to unlock the clown car within the next five-ish year/turns.
Splint spent the first half of his turn trying to clean up the gigantic fucking mess right outside the doorway, mostly consisting of corpses, undead corpses, and the gear those corpses dropped, as well as gear our fallen dwarves had left outside.

And I like elves and heresy. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: July 25, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »

Now that I think of it, the spikewalk does count as a megaproject. And a utilitarian one at that! Cause that took what, the better part of someone's turn to build?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »

The spike trap has a use, unlike most megaprojects, therefore was worth the risk. Besides, i wouldn't qualify useful things as megaprojects, because the ones i've seen are overcomplicated and broken, or a giant blue middle finger.

Both Splints are happy to remind you what the levers they know do, and as for the mystery ones, i'm more than happy to look em up.

We haven't done it yet, so it counts as not doing the stupid.

No other fort i've read about bothered to make the attempt to clean.

I like certain elves.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: July 25, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »

Now that I think of it, the spikewalk does count as a megaproject. And a utilitarian one at that! Cause that took what, the better part of someone's turn to build?

I believe it was either Talvieno or Draignean, but my memory has been seriously negatively affected by sobriety.
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: July 25, 2012, 09:53:21 pm »

I believe it was either Talvieno or Draignean, but my memory has been seriously negatively affected by sobriety.

I'll take the mission of finding the turn it was made. I'll get my scuba diving equipment.

And elves are my favorite trading partners.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: July 25, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »

I need to test a few to see if my memory is any good. And I need to find them.  Honestly the only reson I restored functionality to the old entry was because I don't know where the levers are (or more likely, I looked right at the damn things and din't see them.)

I don't like elves for the sole reason that I don't make bins very often anymore. They often provide a yearly import of much needed cloth though so normally I let them live.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: July 25, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »

It was finished in draig's turn. He tried to use it on the spawn, combined with dodging mechanics. Needless to say, they didn't dodge. So, either it was started the turn before, or he did the whole thing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: July 25, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »

With my superior powers of observation, I detect that Hansie is slightly pissed-off today.

@Xahnel:

At this point, the only thing I've really solidly decided is that if you put any more time travel in the plot then there already is, I will track down every single person who ever posted in this thread and leave a decapitated baby doll on their doorstep. Aside from that, I'm fine with most anything you could do. Just don't expect me to get too involved, as I generally tend to lag a bit behind in terms of story updates, which makes reaction journals difficult.

Incidentally, I noticed a plot hole in my previous update that one could drive a truck through. Can anyone else spot it? (Yes, I will be posting a revised version later.)

E: @Splint:

Sorry to deflate your boner, but Eris is an underground entity that operates covertly. Full-scale armies and overt aggression are both beyond their means and easily-noticeable. Actually, you didn't actually *state* that they had an army, so... derp.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:23:24 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 815