Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246941 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10425 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:00 am »

"Save our land, join the Klan" has a nice ring to it. But it's just not as good as "Don't be stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi Party".
Yes I would like a video of a klan member saying "I was born in Duseldorf and that is why they call me Rolf"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: June 28, 2015, 03:25:55 am »

Wait, where's that from? I'll always seize an opportunity to make fun of Düsseldorf!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: June 28, 2015, 08:03:31 am »

Springtime for Hitler, Helgo. I'm surprised you don't know.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:16 am »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: June 28, 2015, 08:22:10 am »

I think you're reading too much into this, what we have here is a presidential candidate that, despite being a governor, has struggled to get enough name recognition to get more than a couple percents of the votes in a overcrowded primary, and is ready to shout any amount of insanities to get his name in the papers.

Off the top of my head, Jindal was an up-and-coming Republican back after Obama's election, expected to have a good chance against him in 2012. They gave him the response to Obama's first State of the Union to increase his name recognition and national profile.This went poorly and to widely negative responses. About a year later he wrote himself out of the 2012 race.

I don't see his position as having improved all that much. Not much positive national press I'm aware of, and his local approval has been dropping. The last major media story I recall him being involved in is when he claimed there are no-go zones in London due to Muslim immigration, basing it on a vaguely worded Daily Mail article. So he has international ridicule going for him.

Link
New version including the full song. Low quality unfortunately.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: June 28, 2015, 08:53:10 am »

oh God the woman with beer boobs
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:31 am »

Helgo, hide that erection NOW!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: June 28, 2015, 10:30:03 am »

Beerection?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: June 28, 2015, 10:30:59 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: June 28, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

So I'm not sure if this would be more appropriate here or in the sad thread: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/16/79-year-old-retired-reverend-set-himself-on-fire-to-inspire-social-justice/
It's sad that it probably won't end up achieving much, as well as that he's dead. If the media can't drum up some controversy over it then they won't care.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:17 am »

Wow.  I assumed he was going to be conservative but still far braver than that church shooter.  Turns out he even had a good agenda.  He deserves a lot more media time than that coward got.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: June 29, 2015, 12:54:13 am »

*shrugs* If they did, it's an overstep that's been performed repeatedly in the past (read: It almost certainly isn't.). The court decision is precisely in line with several other similar cases that have included stuff under the 14th's protection.

I think it's a problem with the dumb way it's been reported. "Gay marriage now legal in America" suggests that a new law was made. Better phrasing would be that it is illegal for any level of government in the U.S to make gay marriage illegal, since the Supreme Court found that the 14th amendment includes that right under it.

...Which doesn't make as good headlines, I guess.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: June 29, 2015, 01:00:40 am »

So I'm not sure if this would be more appropriate here or in the sad thread: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/16/79-year-old-retired-reverend-set-himself-on-fire-to-inspire-social-justice/
It's sad that it probably won't end up achieving much, as well as that he's dead. If the media can't drum up some controversy over it then they won't care.

Don't be so sure about that. Some random guy lighting himself on fire has started big things before.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: June 29, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »

Six Churches have been set on fire in the South, with three being confirmed as cases of arson.

That's three church communities without a place of worship because people are fucking stupid. Luckily noone was hurt, but these churches have suffered losses in the tens of thousands of dollars, and I know from experience that churches don't operate on huge margins. Pray for these people, or at least keep them in your thoughts if that's your move.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: June 29, 2015, 04:43:14 pm »

That's infuriating and also kind of a relief.
I was afraid it'd be a bunch of atheists.  But no, of course it's a bunch of racists pretending like they have any real grievance.  What a bunch of dangerous morons.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 759