Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247329 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10455 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:17 am »

... apparently this writer at the Heritage Foundation also ignore those same studies when it doesn't suit his case.

"Journalism" at its finest. Facts have nothing at all to do with a good muckraking session.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:09 pm »

Six Churches have been set on fire in the South, with three being confirmed as cases of arson.

That's three church communities without a place of worship because people are fucking stupid. Luckily noone was hurt, but these churches have suffered losses in the tens of thousands of dollars, and I know from experience that churches don't operate on huge margins. Pray for these people, or at least keep them in your thoughts if that's your move.
And another one. https://twitter.com/SCFireCarter/status/616055562770489344
That one was apparently previously burned down in 1995 by the KKK.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: June 30, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »

... if there's one thing this uptick in arson has taught me that I didn't know before, it's that a lot of churches burn down in this country. Apparently we've been averaging one a week for quite a few years now. Seven in one is a definitely anomaly, but the things burn down pretty regularly. Has a lot to do with saturation, I suppose... lot of churches out there, bound to lose some annually.

Tangential to the whole assholes committing arson thing, but still a factoid I hadn't been aware of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: July 01, 2015, 01:47:37 pm »

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/1/8877903/tennessee-lgbtq-nondiscrimination-law

Wow..... That's just wonderful... [sigh]. Really? Just straight up exclusion... Knew it
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

Whereas it's illegal to discriminate based on religion, of course.  Clearly we just need to pretend that LGBTQ is a matter of faith.
Meanwhile as of today two of the Kentucky county clerks are still refusing to do their jobs (two backed down).
Davis says she has no plans to resign, even with the possibility of facing criminal misconduct charges and jail time for not carrying out her duties.
This would be brave in a sick way, if I believed it for a second.  She might be forced to resign, but justifying her misconduct with "faith" will save her from any actual charges.
http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/Kentucky-Counties-Refuse-to-Issue-Marriage-Licenses-310815841.html
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: July 01, 2015, 03:25:24 pm »

Yeah... stuff like that is why the SCOTUS decision was both great and terrible. We've still got a helluva' fight ahead to make sexual orientation and whatnot something under strict scrutiny and thus umbrella'd under anti-discrimination laws. Noticed a fairly succinct pic that's circulating a little that does a pretty good job of getting the message across:
Spoiler: spoiler'd for size (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »

Is discrimination in general not against he constitution over there?

I know that in the Netherlands there have been talks about removing the part about religious freedom, since it's pretty much redundant.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: July 01, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »

The short answer would be "No." The long answer is longer, and beyond me to know the details, but so far as I'm aware so long as it's not a strict scrutiny issue (which includes things like race, religion, etc.), discrimination is generally pretty legal. If I had a store or whatever and wanted to put up a sign saying "No one with hair past the shoulders allowed" (and then enforced it), I'm fairly sure that'd be legal in a lot of places in the US, and not strictly against the constitution regardless.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: July 01, 2015, 03:39:52 pm »

That said, while the Supreme Court's ruling doesn't put orientation or gender identity as suspect classes, it certainly make it more likely to go that way from now on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: July 01, 2015, 03:41:06 pm »

I know that in the Netherlands there have been talks about removing the part about religious freedom, since it's pretty much redundant.

The constitution AFAIK doesn't really make any claims about what citizens are allowed to do, only what the government is allowed to do (or rather, what it isn't).

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: July 01, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »

The constitution AFAIK doesn't really make any claims about what citizens are allowed to do, only what the government is allowed to do (or rather, what it isn't).

Yeah, the closest to what you're asking for, as far as I know, is the 14th amendment's equal protection clause, as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: July 01, 2015, 03:53:39 pm »

There's protections for equal protection under the law in the 14th Amendment, but it doesn't extend to sexual orientation, so this would naturally be the next step in the fight for lgbbq rights.

Edit: Ninja'd by baffler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #10467 on: July 01, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »

There's protections for equal protection under the law in the 14th Amendment, but it doesn't extend to sexual orientation, so this would naturally be the next step in the fight for lgbbq rights.

lgbbq? Sounds delicious.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: July 02, 2015, 06:31:42 am »

God I hate religion/faith's sacred cow status. It should be considered exactly the same as regular beliefs. Saying that you discriminate against LGBT people because of your "Faith" should be treated similarly to how it would be if you said you discriminate because you hate people who are different.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: July 02, 2015, 06:34:22 am »

That seemed to be the entire point of Dawkin's 'God Delusion'
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 759