Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247541 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10515 on: July 05, 2015, 05:56:36 am »

I don't think that many (if any) people aren't prone to that kind of bias. There's a word for the idea, where people find it hard to separate the idea of a person with some good qualities not being good, or some bad qualities not being bad. Can't remember it right now though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: July 05, 2015, 08:23:40 am »

What I meant to say is that they seem to miss the point of the video, which seems to say that being beautiful should not depend on your looks.

That might read like lunacy, but my lived experience actually is that the beauty of the people I meet is mainly a matter of what mindset I am in and what they act like, not so much their looks. Perceiving people as beautiful can be learned.
I dunno. I always thought of beauty as equated to personality. Physical looks are merely aesthetics for me. x3
Be careful with that: It has been shown that good looking people are judged to have a better personality by most people. I'm not sure I am not prone to that kind of bias.
Has been shown?
I think you may be talking about either the Halo effect, or that its speaking out of a specific set of physically beautiful people :P
Though I was like that before even knowing about these effects so...I'm unsure as to how far it applies. I could legitimately say its that way for me, because...the only proof I have is that I never felt otherwise different when speaking to people who look 'aesthetically more pleasing' than others who don't. I've been wondering all this time that it may, actually, be a social construct instead of anything else. But that's just me here. ._.

On that point: It's also because I've known and talked to a lot of people who I guess the west (or in general) wouldn't consider 'that pretty/handsome', but have AMAZING personalities. The benefits of non-urban areas. ;3

But anyway.
-that last paragraph; also snip-
Thankies :) I've been wondering about the exact wording to that kind of idea. I've come across it before but then was confused due to how it was worded. Too young to get it at the time. x_x

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: July 05, 2015, 09:04:50 am »

If one person has an affect and another person does not, that really doesn't give us an indication of it being a social construct or otherwise. At best, we can then say it varies. But plenty of social and biological things vary, so it's not very useful.
Spoiler: for wall of text (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:17:35 am by Reelya »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »

Sheriff Joe Arpaio to go on trial for retaliatory practices

Bonus: How many comments can YOU read before closing the page in disgust?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: July 05, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »

Oh hey he's being tried for something else. Last time he was tried for something, he had the judge's wife investigated by his own PI but was caught. He then demanded the judge abdicate due to a conflict of interest. This was only a few months ago.
This looks extremely criminal.
._.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: July 05, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »

Meh, about half of them are idiots supporting him and the other half are saying its a good thing. For news site comments, that's a better ratio then usual
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: July 05, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »

That guy's been nationally recognized as one of the most horrible people on the planet for many years.  He's the icon of everything ugly about American policing.  Celebrities have led marches against him.  Prisoners under his jurisdiction die of neglect regularly, sometimes burning to death from being left in open cages in the Arizona sun all day in the middle of summer.  It's astounding that he's kept his career going for so long, and that's why it baffles me that I know some very liberal people who are working on moving to Arizona.  There has to be some severe reactionary hatred among the populace there to keep re-electing that guy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:31:25 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: July 05, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »

That guy's been nationally recognized as one of the most horrible people on the planet for many years.  He's the icon of everything ugly about American policing.  Celebrities have led marches against him.  Prisoners under his jurisdiction die of neglect regularly, sometimes burning to death from being left in open cages in the Arizona sun all day in the middle of summer.  It's astounding that he's kept his career going for so long, and that's why it baffles me that I know some very liberal people who are working on moving to Arizona.  There has to be some severe reactionary hatred among the populace there to keep re-electing that guy.
Alternatively, he rigs the elections. I wouldn't put it past this guy to commit an election fraud.
._.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:05 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/jeb-bush-people-longer-hours-235206730.html

Forget the unemployed ( whitewashed official unemployment stats) or underemployed, this is more victim blaming. Following in W's footsteps, Jeb Bush is totally out of touch. Problem with unemployment, underemployment, stagnated wages, and massive income inequality? "Work harder you slackers!" "Get a job!" is basically what he's saying.

The poor working stiff's already doing the job of three people without making the proper pay of one.... The only people working longer hours are salary and they don't get paid for those hours to stimulate the economy.... Meanwhile Corporations are making record profits.... They won't hire, but will outsource jobs and bring in immigrants to do skilled white collar work and force the employees to train their foreign replacements.

Yes, this looks like yet another "47%" comment.

Tone... Deaf.

And hey, let's trump up the never ending war on terror while firing the troops too....

Let's not pay for anything, wonder why nobody has any money, and then complain. Sounds great....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »

Military getting in on the downsizing.  Its difficult for me to feel bad about that.

As for the longer hours... I'd say "he clearly hasn't worked a minimum wage job any time recently" but I think that's a given for anyone in congress, certainly anyone making a serious bid at the presidency.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:18 pm »

Military getting in on the downsizing.  Its difficult for me to feel bad about that.

QFT.

"he clearly hasn't worked a minimum wage job any time ever"

FTFY. Jeb Bush was richer than I'll ever be before he was even born. I'm not sure he's even capable of understanding someone who doesn't have any other option.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: July 08, 2015, 10:32:50 pm »

FTFY. Jeb Bush was richer than I'll ever be before he was even born. I'm not sure he's even capable of understanding someone who doesn't have any other option.

And the reason he's completely unable to relate to the lives of 90% of the population is the same reason he has influence over how they're allowed to live them.  Makes great practical sense.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:21 pm »

I love how the aide clarified the comment was directed towards part-time workers and the underemployed, as if they're not often working over forty hours a week anyway. Apparently being part of the GOP establishment makes you physically incapable of grasping the concept of working two (or more) jobs, or what "local job market" means. It's always vaguely amazing how someone can make a statement that completely divorced from reality. Bonus points for calling someone else out of touch in the same breath :V

In other news, Jeb is a piece of crap, news at 11, florida has been telling all you folks that for years. We have a fairly clear example of what that bastard does in power, and the answer is "Shit on what he's governing."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:50 am »

Wait, how can you work 40 hours a week and be underemployed?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: July 09, 2015, 08:39:38 am »

I think that's freedomese for 'underpaid'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 759