Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246838 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11145 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:51 pm »

According to anonoymous sources from within the police force, most of the perpetrators were Syrian refugees, and their main goal was to 'have sexual fun'

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article150735341/Die-meisten-waren-frisch-eingereiste-Asylbewerber.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:25:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: January 07, 2016, 08:30:16 pm »

...Geez.

Well, PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: January 07, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

The interior minister of the state this happened in has gone full retard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems that posting on /pol/ is literally as bad as raping a woman.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: January 07, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »

Oy, Morrigi:
Oy, Morrigi:

They're not. However, they are an acceptable practice in the places these people came from.
Y'know, I'd like a source for that. AFAIK most of the refugees in Germany do not in fact come from India.
If you don't have a source, I'll just go ahead and call you out as a racist of the worse kind.

I'm confused by this. Are you saying that the only place where rape culture (*real* rape culture, that is, not 'Make sure to get three signatures on consent form 922b and perform a blood-alcohol test before intercourse' rape culture) exists is in India? I must be misunderstanding you in some way here, could you clear it up?
The India bit was just me poking fun at the string of gang rapes that have been occuring in India recently-ish.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11149 on: January 07, 2016, 10:17:25 pm »

We have earned our end

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:19 pm »

Beyond attempting to generalize to several different cultural groups based on the words of a few teenagers, call me just a wee titch doubtful that was particularly imported. It's a sentiment that's just kinda' common to conservative/tribal thought processes in general. I've heard basically the same damn thing (that it's less of a bad thing when <outgroup X> gets raped, beaten, etc.) out of the mouths of racists (regarding blacks) and religious bigots (regarding non-christians) in the US, and the sentiment was more or less common within living memory, for all that it's thankfully dying off to a fair degree. It doesn't take importing to see that kind of shit. It grows at home all its lonesome.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: January 07, 2016, 10:50:34 pm »

In a nutshell, it's a symptom of being an extremist conservative/tribal dickwad, not of being a person of [insert culture], though [insert culture] does have those tendencies.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: January 07, 2016, 11:02:19 pm »

So I wondered about this. What happens when the war is over? Do the Syrians and "Syrians" go back to "Syria?"

Beyond attempting to generalize to several different cultural groups based on the words of a few teenagers, call me just a wee titch doubtful that was particularly imported. It's a sentiment that's just kinda' common to conservative/tribal thought processes in general. I've heard basically the same damn thing (that it's less of a bad thing when <outgroup X> gets raped, beaten, etc.) out of the mouths of racists (regarding blacks) and religious bigots (regarding non-christians) in the US, and the sentiment was more or less common within living memory, for all that it's thankfully dying off to a fair degree. It doesn't take importing to see that kind of shit. It grows at home all its lonesome.

That sounds an awful lot like minimizing the situation. It might be true on some level, (though it sounds a whole lot like fuck-the-other-guys wankery too) but there's no doubt that we're seeing an imported product in Europe. You can write it off as edgelord teenager bullshit if you want, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: January 07, 2016, 11:10:21 pm »

So I wondered about this. What happens when the war is over? Do the Syrians and "Syrians" go back to "Syria?"

I suspect that token Syrians will be sent back/volunteer to go back while Europe gains a much larger Syrian minority group.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: January 07, 2016, 11:17:07 pm »

Obviously islamic nations have far worse institutional issues when it comes to all that, but that's primarily because they actually read their holy book.

But then, actually quoting from the bible to support that is edgy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: January 07, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »

It's what happens when people take faith to its logical conclusion, especially abrahamic religions. Muslims believe in their holy book. Christians and Jews obviously don't, else they'd be killing everyone who doesn't follow their religion; it is the infallible word of God, and that is a pretty direct request.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »

You mean the thousands of religious leaders who regularly condemn all of it? Are those the religious leaders you're talking about? The ones who are already doing it? The ones you seem not to believe exist? The ones who exist, and are real, and are condemning these actions? And who continue to do so despite the widespread belief that they are not? Those religious leaders?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: January 07, 2016, 11:32:40 pm »

Obviously islamic nations have far worse institutional issues when it comes to all that, but that's primarily because they actually read their holy book.
Uh, no, it's primarily because the areas are by and large either unstable shitholes or just recently starting to claw their way out of such, mixed with tribal traditions that are also pretty shit. There's a religious aspect to some of the gender shit, but not when it comes to sexual assault and whatnot. Islam's texts take a pretty damn dim view towards rapists and sexual perfidy in general. Consequences tend to involve execution for the perpetrator or stuff that's pretty capable of killing regardless. Lotta' the shit we've been seeing in recent times counter to that is basically fairly forthright heresy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: January 07, 2016, 11:40:12 pm »

Uh, no, it's primarily because the areas are by and large either unstable shitholes or just recently starting to claw their way out of such, mixed with tribal traditions that are also pretty shit. There's a religious aspect to some of the gender shit, but not when it comes to sexual assault and whatnot. Islam's texts take a pretty damn dim view towards rapists and sexual perfidy in general. Consequences tend to involve execution for the perpetrator or stuff that's pretty capable of killing regardless. Lotta' the shit we've been seeing in recent times counter to that is basically fairly forthright heresy.
The fact remains that in practice, most of those rules only apply to Muslims wearing hijabs. They use Islam to justify their acts.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:42:21 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:24 pm »

So, while we're on the subject of women's rights, how about we actually start defending them in our countries?

I've been particularly feminist in the past week, and am very interested in hearing the stories about how we, in the western world, have stood up for our women compared to these people who are obviously from a very barbaric region of the world. This is especially important in the coming months as the war against women's rights in America is picking up fast, so please, enlightened people, tell me how you've been highlighting the plights.

Morrigi, how have you helped the feminist cause recently? I haven't seen too many links from you about it recently, but surely as someone frequenting the feminist bastion that is /r/KotakuInAction, you will be a paragon of the fight for women's inclusion in gaming.

I, personally, have managed to block a ton of attack videos by skull-wielding men on Youtube recently. That's a personal victory for me right there.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 759