Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Age of Man  (Read 79456 times)

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Man
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

Suggested course of action.  Move somewhere else.  We're nomads.  This is a pride of lions.  The odds aren't that good.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »

We're not planning how to just survive these lions, were planning to kill them for greater glory, otherwise we wouldn't be trying to solo it. As for getting the lion into the pit, we just bait a pitfall trap with some leftover gazelle bits. However, digging a pit large enough to hold a fully grown lion without a shovel and covering it with just enough support to hold up only the bait and nothing more is going to take quite a bit of effort, so we're not going to have any traps for a while. Lets also gain a little more throwing experience before we take on the lion, either by practicing, hunting, or both.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »

We're not planning how to just survive these lions, were planning to kill them for greater glory, otherwise we wouldn't be trying to solo it. As for getting the lion into the pit, we just bait a pitfall trap with some leftover gazelle bits. However, digging a pit large enough to hold a fully grown lion without a shovel and covering it with just enough support to hold up only the bait and nothing more is going to take quite a bit of effort, so we're not going to have any traps for a while. Lets also gain a little more throwing experience before we take on the lion, either by practicing, hunting, or both.
Yeah that is a good point that hole would take a long ass time to make. In addition ot gaining more practice we should make like four or so more javelins in order to have more to throw at the lion and in case any break. I doubt we will be able to throw more than 3 Javelins, the others are just back ups and there in case we can get in more shots.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »

note: I said the collective of lions, I.E. a pride.
Yeah I know the paln is to kill one, which should at least garner some respect, and then show off how we killed it with oure javelins, and lead a hunting party to eradicate the lions. So in the end we should gain a lot of respect.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »

No, the plan, as I recall it, is to kill one for glory, and then kill all the rest.  That's dumb.  If we can somehow lure one away and kill it, making ourselves look good, that's a good idea.  But we shouldn't try to take on the pride.  This area isn't even that nice if I remember.  How exactly are we planning on luring the lion away?
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:31 am »

No, the plan, as I recall it, is to kill one for glory, and then kill all the rest.  That's dumb.  If we can somehow lure one away and kill it, making ourselves look good, that's a good idea.  But we shouldn't try to take on the pride.  This area isn't even that nice if I remember.  How exactly are we planning on luring the lion away?
we dont. Males tend to stay back during hunts, to guard the cubs. Prides usually consist of one male and several females. Females hunt because the mane on the male can overheat it quickly. By that logic, we only have to deal with the male and the cubs if we wait until the women leave to grab some grub.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:23:14 am by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

+1 to Zomaras idea.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »

can we make/ practice with more javelins? lions are not forgiving first targets and one throw might not be enough to bring it down anyway.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »

can we make/ practice with more javelins? lions are not forgiving first targets and one throw might not be enough to bring it down anyway.
Yeah lets make more Javelins and then go with killing one of the lions as per Zomara's suggestion.

I don't rember anyone sugesting we kill the lions by ourself, and you are correct that would be sucidal. After The GM reminded us that it was a pride they were affraid of we changed the idea from just getting one kill to getting one kill and then going back and getting more people with more javelins to help us finish the pride. With a group of 5 or so people armed with javelins we could gradually wear down the lions through hit and run raids on lions while they are away from the pride. The reason we want to kill the pride is that leading a hunting party would demonstrate leadership skills, showing people how to make javelins themselves shows intelligence, while the kill itself will only garner repsect for our hunting prowess. This is a three pronged approach to respect gain. Zomara addresed your question.

You are quite right that taking  a pride of lions head on, even with the entire tribe armed with javelins, would be stupid. Hence as articulated we should kill the lions gradually.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »

Yeah lets make more Javelins and then go with killing one of the lions as per Zomara's suggestion.

I don't rember anyone sugesting we kill the lions by ourself, and you are correct that would be sucidal. After The GM reminded us that it was a pride they were affraid of we changed the idea from just getting one kill to getting one kill and then going back and getting more people with more javelins to help us finish the pride. With a group of 5 or so people armed with javelins we could gradually wear down the lions through hit and run raids on lions while they are away from the pride. The reason we want to kill the pride is that leading a hunting party would demonstrate leadership skills, showing people how to make javelins themselves shows intelligence, while the kill itself will only garner repsect for our hunting prowess. This is a three pronged approach to respect gain. Zomara addresed your question.

You are quite right that taking  a pride of lions head on, even with the entire tribe armed with javelins, would be stupid. Hence as articulated we should kill the lions gradually.
YAY! research does come in handy!!!
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 04:31:04 pm »

Regardless of the question over wheater we should eventually kill the pride for now lets just do Zomara's suggestion, it is the easiest and most secure way, we can decide about the pride later.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »

so, you agreed upon that 'go train a bit with the javelin, kill male lion as females are hunting' stuff?
When it comes to the kill male lion plan, There was broad based agreement to kill one lion, at least, and once the trap was proved impractical we were left with just a nameless plan to go and kill a lion. Zamara's plan is just a specification on the aformentioned vague plan.

Obolisk had objections to the later plan to kill the tribe, but he didn't raise any objections to making more javelins and neither did anyone else so I think it is alright.

Racnor suggested Javelin practice before but also broached the subject of making more Javelins so the most agreed upon course of action at this point appears to be:
Make 2 more Javelins, (I say we just keep on trying. Keep track of the time it takes to make all the Javelins and when we fail to make one just add the fail to the overall time and just keep trying until 2 have been made.)
Practice until we can reasonably hit something. ( No idea how long that should take, should probably be coralated to role.)
Go hunt the male lion.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

I think consensus has been reached, given the lack of any opposing posts.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »

Wait we were going to make more than one Javelin, and then attack the lion. Precisly so we could have more than one shot at it. Regardless, I still think we should try with this guy, but make some crude form of armor first. Just 2-3 layers of plant fiber coats over our torso, neck and head, minus face of course. That should be enough to the delay the lion if it pounces on us, giving us enough time to get in a shot with our spear.

The second time should go better because of the armor and multiple shots with javelins.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

Name: Howard

Maybe we should delay project lion for a while, plant armor probably isn't enough to stop a lion from mortally wounding us. let's make some small deadfall traps (basically a heavy object held up at an angle by some sticks) for respect instead. If we do want to try to kill the lions, does anyone in the tribe know a plant that could be used to poison a gazelle corpse?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23