Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239556 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #390 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:35 am »

... and 2) I get stuck in that "saving it for later" mode where I don't want to use any of my orbs of fanciness at e.g. level 40, because then I won't have them for my end-game gear at level 100 (ignoring the fact I'll probably alt too much to ever reach level 100).

I tend to squirrel mine away too, don't feel bad.  I don't hoard them for end-game, as I've only made it to A2 Merciless (and only with one character). 
I'm only at A1 Cruel (and only with one character) :p

I've started using some of them a bit more though, since with all the selling-inventories-full-of-blues my alts have been doing, I ended up with 100+ orbs of transmutation and alteration.  Chaos orbs, not quite so much.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 30, 2013, 09:10:49 am »

With enough blues (and thus the blue orbs), you can start transmuting those orbs into basically anything Clarissa sells, except maybe one or two things I think. Alchemy and scouring orbs can be used instead of chaos if you don't mind it costing more to make the rare you want.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 30, 2013, 12:54:55 pm »

I honestly don't see any upside at all and it really kills my interest.

Not having to super duper delivery man packs of items back to a store for nonsensical uristite coinage kills the interest for you?

I think D3 might be more your thing.  :)

It's satisfying, in the same mindless way a "game" like cookie clicker is. I get to watch my gold number go up, and then eventually I get to trade it all for a nice new upgrade to make my other numbers go up.

It sure beats watching 99% of the loot drops be almost completely worthless, 0.5% giving me some orb or something I don't even know what to do with (if it's a barter system why can't I pick teleport scrolls instead of shards of whatever?) and 0.5% actually being upgrades.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 30, 2013, 01:24:33 pm »

The currency in this game is really weird to get a good grasp on it at first.  Hell, I'm not sure if I still have a sufficient idea of it.  All I know is people will always need Gemcutter's and Exalteds, and they will trade 5 link Uniques for them.

Also, just as a sort of funny story earlier today.  Running through Act 1 Normal (Domination league) with a friend who actually had -5% item rarity because of a Unique Rapier he had.  We're in voice chat and we run into Brutus' chambers where I just start saying "Bruuuutus, buuuuuuddy.  Drop me a unique pls.  Drop me a uniiiiique."  Pretty much chanting this.  Well, Brutus is a champ of a bro.  Dropped me a Kaom's... Ring (forgot the exact name).  My friend just starts freaking out.  10/10, would farm Brutus again.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »

0.5% giving me some orb or something I don't even know what to do with

Reading is a fundamental part of playing the game.....

My only issue with the currency system is that you end up with a shit ton of Orbs of Transmutation, and late-game it becomes a crap shoot whether you'll roll the colors/# of slots you need so gear will work with your preferred build.

Although now that I know the Vendor Recipes, perhaps I can put that crap to use.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:38:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »

It sure beats watching 99% of the loot drops be almost completely worthless, 0.5% giving me some orb or something I don't even know what to do with (if it's a barter system why can't I pick teleport scrolls instead of shards of whatever?) and 0.5% actually being upgrades.

For the most part, grinding for orb-bits is no different than grinding for gold.  Think of the ID fragments like silver coins.  That would make ID scrolls like a half-crown gold, the portal scrolls a full-crown gold, transmute orbs like a 20-crown platinum, etc.  They aren't shiny discs of metallic shininess, but they _do_ have value within the construct, and the low orbs do have a lot of utility once you have enough to use them in batches.

While the system isn't perfect, I understand why GGG set it up like that. GGG is taking the long view, and trying to make sure the economy doesn't suffer the money plagues recorded in digital history.  By making the currency also be the crafting materials, the orb supply is constantly being balanced by usage.  If something gets watered down enough to be "cheap", someone _will_ buy up all they can find and go on a crafting bender...  oops, they aren't cheap anymore!  ^_____^

My loot priority is usually rares+magics (for selling or squirreling), then superior whites (to boil down to A-Scraps and Whetstones), then maybe white junk if I'm low on IDs.  Small white things like rings and belts always get picked up, to keep my ID deficit down.  I go back to town as often as needed, which is sometimes every third mob if the RNG is feeling nice.  Other times I go two or three maps between return trips.  This is all with running as much Increased Item Quality as I can conveniently fit into my gear without shorting killing power or resists.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 30, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »

Vendor Recipes page, which I probably should link to in the OP.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »

0.5% giving me some orb or something I don't even know what to do with

Reading is a fundamental part of playing the game.....

Ok, let me rephrase. I know what it does literally speaking, but say, an armor scrap. Upgrades armor. OK... so what does that mean? does it make the level higher? does it just make the stats better? should I save 100 of them and use them all at once to make an uber item? Who knows. I only have one and I'm not going to waste it experimenting, I'll just stock it away in my stash and forget about it.

For the most part, grinding for orb-bits is no different than grinding for gold.  Think of the ID fragments like silver coins.  That would make ID scrolls like a half-crown gold, the portal scrolls a full-crown gold, transmute orbs like a 20-crown platinum, etc.  They aren't shiny discs of metallic shininess, but they _do_ have value within the construct, and the low orbs do have a lot of utility once you have enough to use them in batches.

While the system isn't perfect, I understand why GGG set it up like that. GGG is taking the long view, and trying to make sure the economy doesn't suffer the money plagues recorded in digital history.  By making the currency also be the crafting materials, the orb supply is constantly being balanced by usage.  If something gets watered down enough to be "cheap", someone _will_ buy up all they can find and go on a crafting bender...  oops, they aren't cheap anymore!  ^_____^

My loot priority is usually rares+magics (for selling or squirreling), then superior whites (to boil down to A-Scraps and Whetstones), then maybe white junk if I'm low on IDs.  Small white things like rings and belts always get picked up, to keep my ID deficit down.  I go back to town as often as needed, which is sometimes every third mob if the RNG is feeling nice.  Other times I go two or three maps between return trips.  This is all with running as much Increased Item Quality as I can conveniently fit into my gear without shorting killing power or resists.

Yes but the problem is... 99% of loot seems to give not even a whole identify scroll, but a scrap of one. Maybe this changes at higher level (or not?) but it's like getting 1 copper from the loot on noob beach... and then still getting 1 copper from the loot 10 levels later. It's just... meh. It solves the problem of long term economy inflation, sort of (not really since bots etc will eventually flood the market with orbs just like coins) but it does it in an incredibly unsatisfying way (at least to me).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:42 pm »

Yes but the problem is... 99% of loot seems to give not even a whole identify scroll, but a scrap of one. Maybe this changes at higher level (or not?) ...

It does change, but mostly with how much IIQ (read: magic find) you can pack in safely.  Once you're past the point of being dirt poor, it's not difficult to fill up on blues to flog off to the vendors.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 30, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »

Armor scraps, blacksmith stones, and glassblowers baubles upgrade item quality. This gives a bonus to the item's stats, up to Quality 20% They add 5% to whites, somewhat less for blues, and 1% each for rares. Gemcutter's prisms on the otherhand, give quality to skill gems, are are much more valuable thus.

Quality 20% items can be used for vendor recipes as well.

Also, IIQ is not in Domination or Nemesis leagues to see how IIR (extra item rarity) affects drops with no IIQ, except for I think the iiq on some uniques.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2013, 04:32:13 pm »

White items (almost) always give just one scroll fragment, because they don't want you to sweep clean entire areas and haul all that crap back to the vendor, because it's mostly crap. I don't know why it drops in the first place, but I safely ignore it.

I only pick up items that are 1. Quality, 2. Yellow/unique, 3. At least one of each color linked, 4. 6 sockets... (and I suppose 5-link and 6-links, but I've never seen those.)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »

Yes but the problem is... 99% of loot seems to give not even a whole identify scroll, but a scrap of one. Maybe this changes at higher level (or not?) but it's like getting 1 copper from the loot on noob beach... and then still getting 1 copper from the loot 10 levels later. It's just... meh. It solves the problem of long term economy inflation, sort of (not really since bots etc will eventually flood the market with orbs just like coins) but it does it in an incredibly unsatisfying way (at least to me).

The game is actually telling you with it small inventory and getting scraps from white and magic items that you should not collect all the items, only the good ones. This is not a standard diablo like game, and it does some things different, and in fact it does it for better.

99% of loot you do not need to pic anyway, only the loot that is important for you, and the better ones that will actually give some good items when you sell them. You should know that different properties of items, and combination when selling can give you different currency/items.

Here is a list what items you can get when you sell them:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

White items (almost) always give just one scroll fragment, because they don't want you to sweep clean entire areas and haul all that crap back to the vendor, because it's mostly crap. I don't know why it drops in the first place, but I safely ignore it.

I only pick up items that are 1. Quality, 2. Yellow/unique, 3. At least one of each color linked, 4. 6 sockets... (and I suppose 5-link and 6-links, but I've never seen those.)
White items that has 6 sockets, or linked blue green and red and some other can also be sold to get some nice things

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 30, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »

White items are also useful for Animate Guardian/Animate Weapon fodder, especially ES gear for the former.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 30, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »

I have come to love the currency. It's nice to have something less arbitrary than "Gold", especially in a setting like this. It's also nice to have the constant choice of "Use, Trade or Spend".

Also, I've learned that you need to (almost) have finished the game to play Scion. booo, I haven't gotten that far pre-release.

Oh well. My bowgirl is doing well, and now that I picked up piercing shots things have gotten almost easy. Nemesis/Hardcore, BRING IT VAAL!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 100