Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239511 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:37 am »

Ditto. I'd kind of like to play, but all my characters are shit, or boring, or both.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:44 am »

Still playing; using an inferno witch right now, solo'ing some maps before going for Caliga.

Yes, you read that right, Caliga. Dominus is NOTHING compared to her.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:07 am »

Is the game still a huge trading crap and balance around economy, or did they change it? Hated d3 because of it, and for sure did not like PoE after i saw you need to trade to progress normal or invest 10x more time in grinding like free korean MMO crap.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 31, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about, boki. For Merciless, maybe trading is the way to go, I haven't tried it. For maps its almost certain you will need to use some currency items on your stuff, but thats even further ahead than Merc in terms of levels.
But I've been through Normal difficulty many, many times because I like trying different builds. With a lot of gear that was probably crap, and not all the spell gems I could've used if I was playing optimally or whatever. But unless your build involves 'You need this unique or you will fail' kinds of gear (and if it does, you either really like the idea or its a very fragile build I'd say), I see no reason why you couldn't get through at least A2 normal with random blue gear, and up into Cruel as long as your gear was close enough to your level, and had a 3L somewhere you could use for support gems.

Trading before merciless as far as I'm concerned is just for collecting uniques (of which I have less than half a dozen), or for making it easier to have the gear you want to have for other experimental (or not so experimental) alts.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:03:31 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

Is the game still a huge trading crap and balance around economy, or did they change it? Hated d3 because of it, and for sure did not like PoE after i saw you need to trade to progress normal or invest 10x more time in grinding like free korean MMO crap.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of a different game? If anything, PoE has a problem of being able to blaze through the whole game in a couple days without much of any challenge.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 31, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

I am not talking about normal. You can play normal in d3 as same as in PoE. But when you hit high dif, end game/inferno drops become so bad that you need to trade to progress at all. So I guess from your posts nothing changed. There is a reason why people call the game path of trading and path of desync.

The huge problem that PoE has is that most important thing for GGG is the economy, and it directly hurts the game as they implemented bad mechanics because of it. I hated d3 for the same thing, but Blizzard understood that with their crappy d3 release and changed it in the expansion and moved away from AH and game balanced around AH. I guess nothing changed wiht PoE yet

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

If the end isn't hard, then whats the point of doing it instead of just picking your favorite place to fight in and doing whatever you want there instead? You've gotta have somewhere to try pushing towards, even if that place is evil and full of xp penalties and powerful mobs. Desync is a completely different topic to Merciless.

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2014, 03:02:41 pm »

If the end isn't hard, then whats the point of doing it instead of just picking your favorite place to fight in and doing whatever you want there instead? You've gotta have somewhere to try pushing towards, even if that place is evil and full of xp penalties and powerful mobs. Desync is a completely different topic to Merciless.

The end is not hard, it is time consuming if you do not trade. If you trade it is easy. They punish you with bad drop rates because they care to much about trading and economy. Trading in games like this should be one additional option, not the most important thing in the whole game.

Funny, I adore Path of Exile for what it did with the economy. Your currency is consumable, the gear you find has value based by individual, you always have a way to improve your gear. If you're minmaxing at the very highest levels, you may be in for a lot of trading, or if you're after very particular unique items or something, I could see it, but time's just as fair a means to get to an end as working the market is.

Thing is, your peers are your economy. There's no middleman auction house or interference by GGG. It's just you, the other players, whatever you have, and whatever the other wants.

There is no problem with people liking it. But i asked did it changed because i hate trading simulation in a game that is around killing monsters and getting loot from them. But i know it did not, so will not waste my time on it
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:08:38 pm by boki »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2014, 03:07:19 pm »

Speaking desyncs, is it still a issue that requires a 3rd party workaround? I just don't have the patience for the PoE grind when I have to put up with that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 31, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »

Thing is, your peers are your economy. There's no middleman auction house.

You mean aside from poe.xyz.is, right? Which is pretty much exactly what the Diablo 3 auction house used to be before it was removed, only a lot less convenient.

Speaking desyncs, is it still a issue that requires a 3rd party workaround? I just don't have the patience for the PoE grind when I have to put up with that.

There's a 3rd party workaround? Desync is the reason I stopped playing PoE. I honestly don't get why it's even a thing. Other games of this genre don't have this problem, and PoE devs certainly aren't doofuses who have no idea what they're doing judging by the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:18:24 pm by Sordid »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:26 pm »

There's a 3rd party workaround? Desync is the reason I stopped playing PoE. I honestly don't get why it's even a thing. Other games of this genre don't have this problem, and PoE devs certainly aren't doofuses who have no idea what they're doing judging by the rest of the game.

Well, by 3rd party I mean a macro to call an in-game function every 2 minutes or w/e.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:41:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

There's a 3rd party workaround?
Among other things, I have one linked in the OP. It uses autohotkey.

Thing is, your peers are your economy. There's no middleman auction house.

You mean aside from poe.xyz.is, right? Which is pretty much exactly what the Diablo 3 auction house used to be before it was removed, only a lot less convenient.
I consider that site as more like player interference/a price reference than an auction house. You can't buy things from it without also being ingame, among other things.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:19:23 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 31, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »

Among other things, I have one linked in the OP. It uses autohotkey.

Oh, right. That.

I consider that site as more like player interference/a price reference than an auction house. For one, you can't buy things from it.

Well yes, that's why I said it's a lot less convenient. The seller has to post the item in a shop thread, then the auction house site has to parse the thread to make the items available for searching, then you have to verify whether the item you want to buy is still available, and then you have to contact the seller and arrange the transaction. There are delays and problems when the site doesn't update in real-time and still shows items that have been removed from their threads, or when the seller doesn't have the item anymore but hasn't bothered to remove it from the shop thread, or when the seller isn't online to take part in the transaction, etc.

It's a lot of effort and a lot of wasted time on the part of a lot of people, the buyers, the sellers, and the owners of the auction house site, to arrive at a result that's very close to the D3 auction house; yet the D3 auction house seems to be universally detested and this inferior and inefficient workaround that attempts to emulate its functionality is praised. I honestly don't get it.

Call me a blasphemer and a heretic, but I prefer Diablo 3's approach. Both of them, actually. Make trading easy and efficient and secure, or make it outright impossible and compensate with very generous drop rates to make it possible to find your own gear. The PoE way is just obnoxious, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:20:58 pm by Sordid »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 31, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »

Oh no, nonono. Removing trading is not the way to go. Among the many other problems City of Steam had last time i played it in its post-closed beta form, it had stripped out trading, and there was only a useless 'market' left if you needed to move an item anywhere but around your character's person.
While I agree with you otherwise (a bartershop that doesn't rely on people being both online and responding to whispers would be very useful if I ever had a significant amount of currency, assuming its not overrun by bots with absurd amounts of currency on hand to perfect items and rip people off), that last part is just flatout a terrible idea unless they implemented it far better than CoS did.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 01, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

Well Diablo 3 gets around the inability to trade with ridiculously generous drop rates. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced PoE could really do with more generous drop rates as well. Increase the drop rates of uniques and currency by, say, an order of magnitude. Not only would this make the game much less dependent on trading and would make playing self-found much more viable, which in my mind would be a good thing, it would also make the currency items actually useful. The fact that currency items are also simultaneously crafting items is nothing short of brilliant, but unfortunately it all goes to waste because nobody actually uses them. Currently all anyone ever uses is transmutes, alts, augments, and the occasional yolo alch. The higher tiers are far too valuable to waste trying to RNG an item. If they were far more abundant and good items were far less costly, there would be a reason to actually try to craft your own gear with the high-tier currency items.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 100