Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 238574 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #660 on: August 02, 2014, 11:33:35 pm »

Hehe, I was concerned for your sanity for a moment.
The cost is a bit much, but considering most people seem to take more than 1000 fusings to get a 6-link, I suppose it's reasonable-ish? Note the last post of the page, however.
With the expansion, however, it's going to make using more that 1.5k fusings feel like an even bigger loss. It may become harder to buy fuses.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 03, 2014, 12:13:13 am »

I started playing this, and am wondering what the point of playing this over and over is. It seems like you need to complete the game multiple times to get good loot, but why get the better loot? So you can beat a harder difficulty and get better loot? Is there any extra content past the first play through?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 03, 2014, 03:36:42 am »

Well, at least a Tabula Rasa dropped for me a few days ago - my first and only 6L.
Protip: Vaal Orbs have a greater chance to give you a 6-link than fusings do, even if the base you're throwing them at has less than 6 sockets. So when you're leveling a character, it can be a very good (and very profitable) idea to throw Vaal Orbs at Armorer's strongboxes, since you're not likely to get a lot of useful stuff out of those anyways. Bonus points if you get a "mirrored" mod on the box, since you can actually get mirrored corrupted 6-links that way.

I started playing this, and am wondering what the point of playing this over and over is. It seems like you need to complete the game multiple times to get good loot, but why get the better loot? So you can beat a harder difficulty and get better loot? Is there any extra content past the first play through?

If by playing over and over, you're referring to the different difficulties; yes, there's extra high-end content for reaching the end of Merciless difficulty. It's a bit of a bitch to access, though, and it's not going to be extremely easy to clear unless you abuse trading and/or broken mechanics to high hell. And even then, if you're playing something silly like a Shockwave Totem build, there's no amount of gear strong enough to make that viable in the endgame.

If you're referring to how the game seems to be designed around playing multiple characters, then no; each character has the same storyline progression save a few different voice lines and a little bit of NPC dialog. There are lots of different, fun ways to powderize monsters, though. That's what keeps me coming back - the ability to pull up a passive tree and plan out a completely new character, go kill monsters with it, then do it again anywhere between two weeks and three hours later.

Also, as a sidenote, Minion Instability summoner is the silliest build I have ever played. If you're getting sick of hitting monsters with swords, daggers, axes, or whatever, try throwing exploding zombies at them. It's a hoot.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 03, 2014, 06:16:22 am »

Protip: Vaal Orbs have a greater chance to give you a 6-link than fusings do, even if the base you're throwing them at has less than 6 sockets. So when you're leveling a character, it can be a very good (and very profitable) idea to throw Vaal Orbs at Armorer's strongboxes, since you're not likely to get a lot of useful stuff out of those anyways. Bonus points if you get a "mirrored" mod on the box, since you can actually get mirrored corrupted 6-links that way.

No such luck yet; but I do have 12 white sockets on me currently: Tabula Rasa + 3 corrupted items.

Also, as a sidenote, Minion Instability summoner is the silliest build I have ever played. If you're getting sick of hitting monsters with swords, daggers, axes, or whatever, try throwing exploding zombies at them. It's a hoot.

Summoners have the advantage of requiring little to no item to be able to survive. Killing speed may not be high at first and may be not as fast as other builds in late game, but everyone can make one very easily.

Make a beeline towards Minion Instability, get the right quest reward gems, grab nearby Static Blows for synergy, then go back and grab some life and defense nodes, and all minion nodes. It's a no-brainer character to make.

Plus, everyone gets a full passive tree reset in 20 days or so, when Forsaken Masters is released. Feel free to experiment!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 03, 2014, 09:28:33 am »

If you're going for minion instability, you want summon skeletons too, not just zombies. Unless/until you get a desecrate gem. ;)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:02 pm »

Summoners have the advantage of requiring little to no item to be able to survive. Killing speed may not be high at first and may be not as fast as other builds in late game, but everyone can make one very easily.

Make a beeline towards Minion Instability, get the right quest reward gems, grab nearby Static Blows for synergy, then go back and grab some life and defense nodes, and all minion nodes. It's a no-brainer character to make.

Plus, everyone gets a full passive tree reset in 20 days or so, when Forsaken Masters is released. Feel free to experiment!
...Static Blows? Really? I mean, I know that Wrath is a powerful aura, but I wouldn't think it's worth throwing points on Static Blows, especially when you can shock everything really easily with Arc anyways.

Also, my current MI summoner is a little.... weird. It's meant to be a burn build of sorts - since the MI explosion is nothing but fire damage, you can get some really nice burns out of it. Prolif that around, and suddenly your zombies are actually walking napalm grenades! Or at least they are in theory - in practice, they've got a touch too much health in Cruel right now to die frequently enough to consistently set things on fire. Ah well, it's a work in progress.

And yeah, I use Summon Skeletons to keep my face from getting bashed in too much. It works as a great boss-nuke, too; not a whole lot can stand up to AoEing a pack of skeletons that explode in their face.
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »

Static Blows shows up everywhere in witch builds afaik. People really seem to like throwing it on everything just to add a bit of shock chance.

Have you tried using skeletons instead for consistant fire? They tend to die regardless of how hard they get hit, but they also don't make quite as hard explosions since they don't have the great health of the zombie.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 03, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »

If I find an item with 4 linked sockets, how good would the stats have to be on a different item to outweigh the advantages of fully linked slots? Assume you have the gems for all the slots.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:01 pm »

Static Blows shows up everywhere in witch builds afaik. People really seem to like throwing it on everything just to add a bit of shock chance.

Have you tried using skeletons instead for consistant fire? They tend to die regardless of how hard they get hit, but they also don't make quite as hard explosions since they don't have the great health of the zombie.
Yeah, they don't tend to burn enough from what I've seen. Alas.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41:37 pm »

If I find an item with 4 linked sockets, how good would the stats have to be on a different item to outweigh the advantages of fully linked slots? Assume you have the gems for all the slots.
Good enough to balance out the loss of the support gems, I'd say. A color-coordinated (not necessarily all one color, just what you need out of the 4L), enough-linked item is a very nice thing to have, especially for skills you want to support with things like blood magic gem or spell totem. (or minion supports).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:18 pm »

...Static Blows? Really? I mean, I know that Wrath is a powerful aura, but I wouldn't think it's worth throwing points on Static Blows, especially when you can shock everything really easily with Arc anyways.

My summoner was my first character; she was rebuilt multiple times as GGG gave us a full reset. Her current style is CI Summoner with Dual Totems.

Static Blows + 2 Storm Call totems = Triple shocked enemies everywhere = Much increased minion damage output.

Static Blows and Minion Instability are right on the path to +1 Spectre, so it doesn't hurt to grab it. Plus respec'ing out of both will only cost you two regrets, so even if you don't include them in your completed build, you can use them during level'ing.

Also, my current MI summoner is a little.... weird. It's meant to be a burn build of sorts - since the MI explosion is nothing but fire damage, you can get some really nice burns out of it. Prolif that around, and suddenly your zombies are actually walking napalm grenades! Or at least they are in theory - in practice, they've got a touch too much health in Cruel right now to die frequently enough to consistently set things on fire. Ah well, it's a work in progress.

And yeah, I use Summon Skeletons to keep my face from getting bashed in too much. It works as a great boss-nuke, too; not a whole lot can stand up to AoEing a pack of skeletons that explode in their face.

Unstable skeletons have one little problem - they have limited duration. If they disappear instead of getting killed, there will be no explosion.

Good enough to balance out the loss of the support gems, I'd say. A color-coordinated (not necessarily all one color, just what you need out of the 4L), enough-linked item is a very nice thing to have, especially for skills you want to support with things like blood magic gem or spell totem. (or minion supports).

I swapped my 6S5L 500+ dodge armor to Tabula Rasa; defensively I lost:
- About 300 HP
- About 800 Armor (using Iron Reflexes), that's -2% of damage reduction
- About 20% Fire and Cold resists

But on the other hand I got a huge boost (+800 per second) in damage.

It was Incinerate + Added Lightning + Mana Leech + Life Leech + Lesser Multiple Projectiles. Being able to add Spell Echo changed everything.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:48:45 pm by kcwong »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 07, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »

Here's some new-ish information about the upcoming expansion.

Armourmaster Haku
- Haku's missions seem to be "grab spirit; return to me." The spirit may give some sort of buff.
- He does armour crafting. Some mods: +35-64 maximum life (costs 3 chaos); +4-8% weapon elemental damage (costs 5 chaos); 55-68% increased armour (costs 3 alchs)
- His hideout's tileset is based on the Coast.
Upon reading some Reddit comments, there's possibility that Haku crafts defensive stats on armour(but ele damage?) while Catarina does caster stats, which leaves another master to put weapon stats on armour.

Vorici, Master Assassin
- Vorici's mission may be based on attacking rogue exiles.
- He does socket crafting. Some mods: Six sockets (cost 350 jewellers); Six linked sockets (cost 1500 fuses); At least one red socket (cost 4 chroms)
- His hideout's tileset is based on the Slums.

Loremaster Elreon (Gamespot link)
- Elreon's missions are based on defending relics from waves of monsters. The relics may also require a certain number of enemies to be killed near it and may also provide buffs.
- He seems to do jewelry crafting. Some mods: 1-2% mana leech (costs 2 chaos); 10-20% increased energy shield (cost 8 chaos)
- His hideout's tileset is based on the Library.

Catarina, Master of the Dead AND Rampage League (MMORPG.com link)
- Catarina's missions are based on killing certain enemies and bringing their raised corpse back to her. Possibly defending limb-towers, too?
- She seems to do intelligence armour crafting. Some mods: +26-30 intelligence (costs 5 alchs); +35-44 maximum mana (costs 5 alchs)
- Her hideout's tileset is based on Fellshrine Ruins.

Rampage league sounds fun as hell.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:39:15 pm by Jack_Bread »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #672 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:46 am »

I played this with webadict up to level 6 or so. It was pretty decently fun. :P

My skill tree is going full attack speed on a bow all the time. I'm only going to put points into other things when there's no other choice.

Gonna be fun :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 10, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

I played this with webadict up to level 6 or so. It was pretty decently fun. :P

My skill tree is going full attack speed on a bow all the time. I'm only going to put points into other things when there's no other choice.

Gonna be fun :v
But what kind of bow skill to use that attack speed on? Rain of arrows works a bunch differently from poison arrow or ice shot, which are different from burning arrow, or explosive arrow.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 10, 2014, 11:44:29 am »

Be sure to grab all the life nodes you can easily access, otherwise you're going to have a bad time, later in the game. The expansion promises this won't be as necessary, when it comes.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 100