Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239580 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Atlas of Worlds
« Reply #1185 on: October 17, 2016, 02:53:49 pm »

I've played PoE. I've finished* PoE. And I don't understand 90% of what y'all are saying.

* It sent me back to the starting city on a harder difficulty level or w/e. I was like "So the story ends here, then?" and stopped playing.

Dont worry, if you dont care about mindless grinding, you finished 90% of all the content in the game. All additional content past that point is mostly reused one.
...which you could say about basically all the ARPGs, tbh. The genre really likes its loot.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 17, 2016, 02:55:49 pm »

I've played PoE. I've finished* PoE. And I don't understand 90% of what y'all are saying.

* It sent me back to the starting city on a harder difficulty level or w/e. I was like "So the story ends here, then?" and stopped playing.

Dont worry, if you dont care about mindless grinding, you finished 90% of all the content in the game. All additional content past that point is mostly reused one.
...which you could say about basically all the ARPGs, tbh. The genre really likes its loot.

Yea, thats why people that dont care about that part of the game can stop playing after they finish the manin story once, as they are not missing anything important.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 17, 2016, 03:07:52 pm »

I don't think saying maps are "reused content" really makes much sense. They reuse textures and assets, sure, but almost all the maps are very different from anything in the storyline post-Atlas. Very unique bosses, very unique layouts, very unique visuals. One of the major pushes this expansion was to stop reusing content.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 17, 2016, 03:08:47 pm »

I don't think it's remotely accurate to call cruel and after  10% of the game, especially with the new shaper stuff. To say nothing of all the various unique items that are level 40+ you have a lot of gems that you barely get to use with 3 or 4 link gear, Plus jewels, ascendancy, div cards... There's a lot of systems you don't see until later on.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 17, 2016, 03:19:34 pm »

I tried to get into the extended end game with this and it didn't really manage to hook me, but then again I've kinda given up on grinding based games. There's a lot more to do it in than most grinding games, but I just don't have the time to put into it. 

That being said, PoE is a really good game to get back into after a break. I've completed it from scratch about 4 times now, starting a new game after every big content drop.

Probably will start again at the next version drop

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 17, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »

I don't think saying maps are "reused content" really makes much sense. They reuse textures and assets, sure, but almost all the maps are very different from anything in the storyline post-Atlas. Very unique bosses, very unique layouts, very unique visuals. One of the major pushes this expansion was to stop reusing content.
They are not unique bosses or unique visuals. They are the same assets from the game (i think there are around 3 to 4 really unique bosses with new assets after you finish normal). The major push in expansion  is not to stop reusing the same content, but to reuse it in better way. A lot of content in PoE as said by devs is reused content in clever ways so they can make a lot of it for cheap. Person that doesnt care about grind really will not miss anything as most of the game is shown in the first difficulty.

The funny thing is, to get to the point when you actually see new content like atziri or shaper fight, you will need ot grind a lot, especially if you don't care about trade (as its horribly implemented in the game), and just want to play the game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:29:23 pm by ragnar119 »

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:31 pm »

The game also gets a lot worse the higher the difficulty you are. It becomes huge one skill spam fest where you stack attack/cast speed and kill whole screen in seconds.

Add to that their horrible balance around trading in late game, and not even having normal trading tools in game. You will not be missing on anything that much if you stop after finishing normal. In fact its best to stop near end game, as all the problems with the game, bad game mechanics and balance start to show the closer you are to end game
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:38:33 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 17, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »

The game also gets a lot worse the higher the difficulty you are. It becomes huge one skill spam fest where you stack attack/cast speed and kill whole screen in seconds.

Add to that their horrible balance around trading in late game, and not even having normal trading tools in game. You will not be missing on anything that much if you stop after finishing normal.

Or you TRY to get the game to that point, anyways.

This has been my rub with PoE for a long time. I like the skills I like. I built a character thematically, and have played it all the way to Level 85. But when I watch PoE videos.....yeah. There's nothing thematic about a lot of builds. It's "how do I exploit a certain combination of gems, support gems, attack/cast speed and effects from Uniques until I break the game and force GGG to do something about it."

It's to the point you have people running around in Tabula Rasa at Level 90 because it's a White 6L, not because it has good stats. And it seems like a lot of the time PoE is dev'd against these one-trick pony builds, not against you know, just average builds. It's why iLvl 35 stuff is still viable in the end game as long as it has some super broken interaction with your other skills or gear.

So for example, I could not even begin to dial the old Jungle Valley map, with the spider boss. Was just tuned wwaaaaaaayyyyyy to high, so that blue packs of spiders were possibly the nastiest thing in the room, and if you could not dump out 50,000 with one skill activation, you were pretty much just fucked cause you couldn't stand there and DPS the way your build typically works. It's even more aggravating in straight up 1v1 boss fights where the boss is up your ass 59 seconds out of every minute. And if your DPS in that one second isn't outstanding....prepare either for a 30 minute fight of maximum tediousness, or death marching on the boss and zeroing out your XP just to beat them. Which makes trying to make progress through maps AND gain levels a total pain in the ass.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:51 pm »

When I stopped playing PoE, my big issue was that progressing from mid to late game absolutely required using specific classes with very specific skill selections, exploiting specific unique items which were almost impossible to obtain without trading, which in turn required using external marketplaces because there was no in-game marketplace.

Has any of this changed?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »

Add to that their horrible balance around trading in late game, and not even having normal trading tools in game. You will not be missing on anything that much if you stop after finishing normal. In fact its best to stop near end game, as all the problems with the game, bad game mechanics and balance start to show the closer you are to end game
Well, it was a nice few posts. And now heres miljan to make it sound terrible like he tends to do.

Anyway, I've been playing with occultist caustic arrow/ED/wither because I'd never actually used CA for more than 3 levels before. Aside from it getting steadily better at tanking hits as I pick up more ES & Soul Strike quiver in merc, it has been possibly the slowest thing I've tried thats actually usable. Its certainly not meta (neither very fast nor is it flask-laden pathfinder CI BV nonsense, nor is it the Deadeye tornado shot mines that do similar things to theros' build without relying on frost wall), and it needs more than one button for bosses.

But its a non-caster selfcast build thats fun, and I'm fine with that. I'm sure it can do some maps at the least.

When I stopped playing PoE, my big issue was that progressing from mid to late game absolutely required using specific classes with very specific skill selections, exploiting specific unique items which were almost impossible to obtain without trading, which in turn required using external marketplaces because there was no in-game marketplace.

Has any of this changed?
if by late game you mean 'high-tier maps', its changed a bit but not super much, you still need to have actual decent gear or uniques to beat up things in red maps. If you mean 'get to maps, or at least dried lake', you don't need any uniques at all to do so unless your build just simply does not work without them (ex. shav's on builds relying on their ES but not going CI and don't have huge chaos res, not simply "it works better with x y z but if you have good rares instead you're still perfectly fine, but slower/less bursty/etc"), especially not in essence league. Just find, craft, use essences on items, or trade for good enough rares once you get into merc and find you have no resists worth speaking of.
And the only clas that people don't like much right now is scion, because her ascendancy is weird and the others do most things better just from being more focused.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:42:33 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 18, 2016, 01:40:03 am »

They are not unique bosses or unique visuals. They are the same assets from the game (i think there are around 3 to 4 really unique bosses with new assets after you finish normal).
Depends on whether you consider the "unique" part of the content to be the asset or the gameplay. Shock and Horror looks just like every other sea witch squid lady, but the fight itself is a lot different than anything you're going to find in normal.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 18, 2016, 04:33:53 am »

Well, it was a nice few posts. And now heres miljan to make it sound terrible like he tends to do.

What the hack is the point of this part of your post? I mean if you are such a big fanboy and can not stand people talking about the problems with POE, than just keep away from forums and play the game. No need to post crap like this.

Anyway, they announced a AH like version for chinese POE release. And chris commented that they are looking in implementing parts of it in vanilla servers that will not be 100% same as in china. So at last it looks like we will see a fix to this problem in near future
Make love not war

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 18, 2016, 05:11:43 am »

Anyway, they announced a AH like version for chinese POE release. And chris commented that they are looking in implementing parts of it in vanilla servers that will not be 100% same as in china.

Really? That seems like an extremely bizarre thing to make region specific.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:13:37 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 18, 2016, 05:45:52 am »

Anyway, they announced a AH like version for chinese POE release. And chris commented that they are looking in implementing parts of it in vanilla servers that will not be 100% same as in china.

Not really. The separated realms/servers had different rules. Taiwan servers had things like pay to respect your character with real money, self found leagues with balanced drops around players and not trade, and similar that where not present in GGG vanilla servers.

They hired David Brevik (one of the main developers of original diablo 1 and 2) as a consultant for the china release.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:47:44 am by miljan »
Make love not war

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 18, 2016, 06:14:20 am »

Anyway, they announced a AH like version for chinese POE release. And chris commented that they are looking in implementing parts of it in vanilla servers that will not be 100% same as in china. So at last it looks like we will see a fix to this problem in near future

(citation needed)

Prop up your statement with a verifiable link, or don't speak of it again.

What the hack is the point of this part of your post? I mean if you are such a big fanboy and can not stand people talking about the problems with POE, than just keep away from forums and play the game. No need to post crap like this.

The last time you came around, it was with a bag of vitriol harvested from a subreddit and a thickskulled twitch-tard...  you've already flipped the bozo bit for most of us here, methinks.  Also, calling someone a fanboy because they think your opinion holds little to no value isn't helping.

There is plenty of criticism for PoE in this thread, from many people.  There are plenty of well-reasoned things to be miffed about; end-game design caters to the ultra-hardcore, performance issues that keep cropping up every time a new large patch hits, most of the new content for the last year+ has been a rolling remix of the building blocks previously already in the game.

If you have genuine discussion to bring, without buzzwords / bullshit / propaganda, then we welcome it.  If you're gonna keep banging on about stash tabs being P2W + GGG is the Anti-Christ for incentivizing people to use a feature that stops a de facto semi-DDoS of their forums (or a similarly odd hill to die on), then please go back to reddit.

-----

The Chinese game market has a whole bunch of quirks, which makes it difficult to simply drop in western games as-is.

The best recent example I've heard about is EVE; the Chinese-only server have crazy amounts of P2W stuff, and the outcomes of nullsec wars are major betting/gambling events.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 100