Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239551 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Fall of Oriath
« Reply #1260 on: February 14, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »

Wow.

No more extra difficulties?

Although the last half sounds like it's rehashing the first half again. I suppose it's "different", but... hm...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:49:27 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:23 pm »

Wow.

No more extra difficulties?

Although the last half sounds like it's rehashing the first half again. I suppose it's "different", but... hm...

Looks pretty different - from the video there looks to be quite a lot of new areas and monsters - apparently some were not finished models yet either.

I'm pretty excited - I loved playing through the 'story' part of it, but get super bored by just endless grinding of maps I've already done. This'll definitely hook me in for another run through!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 14, 2017, 07:35:53 pm »

Yeah, six through ten is a re-hash of everything you did in the first four, and the consequences thereto.

I, for one, am PUMPED. Like, holy shit. Word is the temporary league coming is the Legacy League, which also recycles all the previous leagues in a mix-and-match format. It's gonna be so cool.

Someone stop me from playing Siege Ballista again.

maybe i'll do mf caustic arrow
You could be thematic and do an old bow build instead of siege ballista! :p
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:39 pm »

Strikes me a mix of recycling and new work. The way the kind of weave you in and out of previous areas into new ones then back again where they just gotta touch up the environment and make a few new models.

Not wild about a couple of the proposed boss mechanics (Oh great, more Piety beam.) But there's time still.

I dunno, the playing out of new features was enough to overcome the repetitiveness of leveling new characters for me. So not much changes for me other than new content.

But one has to wonder, with so much new stuff, if they're going to focus on quantity over quality. I can see why the Essence League was poopooed, it's pretty much micro grind treadmill crap. And the power of the gods seems to be firmly in that realm. (Oh boy, 8% damage resistance for sitting still for 4 seconds...I guess if stuff like that allows for anything, it's stripping weaker supporting elements out of your build because it's covered by X in Ascendancy or Y in Power of the Gods.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:40:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 14, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »

Narratively, the whole "look what you did!" theme for Act 5 thru 10 makes a lot of sense.

Mechanically, I can't really say I'm thrilled or surprised with the cruising altitude view of design choices.  Path of Exile: Super Turbo Remix Edition is basically what I've come to expect, based on what they've actually done since late beta.

Spoiler: scroll cut 2 (click to show/hide)

I feel like multiple behind-the-scenes things are happening with the whole six-acts-at-once bit...

Spoiler: scroll cut 3 (click to show/hide)

Most of my actual questions at this point are pretty minor, and all boil down to the proper details re: the refactoring of existing content/rewards.

Most quest rewards are easy enough to move around; bandit bonuses are the only big question mark.

Labyrinth access... just cut it down to three passes?  Seems the simplest solution.  Get 3 pips on normal initial access, 3 pips from Act 8 (Act 3 revisit), and 2 from Endgame Labyrinth from maps.

When are maps going to be available?  My guess is Act 8, with maybe a small adjustment to effective area levels, no other major changes.  (maybe 6-10 new mid+ tier maps, remixes with the new tilesets)

How are low-level / high-level prophecies going to be keyed without difficulties as delimiters?
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 15, 2017, 01:28:12 am »

The pantheon buffs seem VERY low-key. Reduced damage taken over time, regen and phys reduction the more you stand still. It's nowhere near the powerspike that Ascendency was.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:06 am »

Huh, they're getting rid of difficulty levels? Hm.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 15, 2017, 02:00:38 am »

It'll still be roughly the same amount of areas you need to get through to get to end-game maps (10 acts instead of 4*3 acts), but with less repeats and more new stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:42 am »

It'll still be roughly the same amount of areas you need to get through to get to end-game maps (10 acts instead of 4*3 acts), but with less repeats and more new stuff.
Yeah I love that idea - I just never really enjoyed traipsing through the same map (even if randomised layout) a number of times to level up. Sure, it might only be 50% new areas, but it looks to me like even the areas you've previously visited will have completely new enemies and mechanics in place, so even those won't be too samey.

I also imagine that it'll allow them to build upon the 10 acts with feedback - the devs have always said 10 acts was their end goal, so having that as a fixed distance to work within will probably help improve quality. Maybe they'll say that act 7 is too samey and revamp it a lot, or that they need to add more new mechanics to flesh it out.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:07 pm »

GGG said that its around 50% of new content and 50% old one. I dont know how to feel. Little disappointed that there are no trading improvements and that in a way we still need to redo the 5 acts (that are not 100% same, but still very similar).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:02 pm »

PoE has a problem of samey-ness and low quality (in terms of variation), high volume content. So for me, calling it a new act and putting some voice actors and new bosses in isn't really going to change anything for me, the wool is too thin to cover my eyes that much.

If this will do anything, I think for players who did the Malachai fight and went "there's no fucking way I'm ever doing that again" they may actually be encouraged to keep playing.

Until they run into the next nut-destroying boss, that is.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 16, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »

PoE has a problem of samey-ness and low quality (in terms of variation), high volume content. So for me, calling it a new act and putting some voice actors and new bosses in isn't really going to change anything for me, the wool is too thin to cover my eyes that much.

PoE is never going to escape that no matter what they do - it's what Diablo clones do.

That being said, PoE is an engaging sorta grind (it's free to play, you can mix up a lot of abilities and it has a nice level/loot treadmill) - I think this will help it feel slightly less stale. Yeah, it's still a grind, but just a bit less of a stale grind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »

A man can hope.

Although I suppose they tried to do something novel with the Labyrinth and traps and at least a good chunk of the fanbase loathed it. So I guess that's what you get for trying to break the mold.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 16, 2017, 04:22:44 pm »

If this will do anything, I think for players who did the Malachai fight and went "there's no fucking way I'm ever doing that again" they may actually be encouraged to keep playing.

Until they run into the next nut-destroying boss, that is.

Yeah, that's about where I am.  Malachai is a bullshit fight on a postage stamp, but almost tolerable in normal Act 4 because he's not tuned to stupidly-deadly.  His clone in Primordial Pool Map isn't actually that bad; the arena is big enough that you can almost 100% disengage by running to the far side.

I actually got around to trying Aztiri for the first time, not long ago...  SUPER-bullshit fight, worse than Malachai.  I'm not likely to try again anytime soon.

I suspect the risen gods will be the Remix Edition, and I'm not happy with the notion.  At least I'll only have to do each once.  :/

Although I suppose they tried to do something novel with the Labyrinth and traps and at least a good chunk of the fanbase loathed it. So I guess that's what you get for trying to break the mold.

I feel like there are two things that soured the labyrinth for most folks.  Numero Uno being that when it was new, the networking situation was still rough, so losing progress to a latency blip felt unreasonably punitive and very "do it again, stupid." (Nelson laugh optional)  By the time networking improved, people's feelings about labyrinth were already anchored.  Dos: Izaro is a super-duper bullshit fight when he's similar level to your toon.  Actually beating him without hella grind means sandbagging 15 or 20 levels before you fight.

-----

And since it went hot while I was typing:  Legacy League details.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 16, 2017, 04:23:07 pm »

Legacy league news.
Leaguestones and Reliquaries. The latter's map item drops rarely and holds shinier versions of legacy uniques, like 991% facebreakers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 100