Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 108

Author Topic: GEℕESIS Rᶒborℕ [5.43] || Dark Fantasy + Steampunk  (Read 324204 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: GEℕESIS Rᶒborℕ [5.43] || Dark Fantasy + Steampunk || Build and summon
« Reply #1515 on: December 21, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »

Actually copper and cobalt blunt weapons are superior to iron ones.

When you consider armor/cutting weapons, you look at edge, shear impact and fracture values. So copper and cobalt suck here. When you consider blunt weapons though, the most important parameter is the metal density.

Axebows use bolts, they just chop with installed blades instead of stabbing with bayonet.
Inspired by real-life axe-pistols:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:38:07 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GEℕESIS Rᶒborℕ [5.43] || Dark Fantasy + Steampunk || Build and summon
« Reply #1516 on: December 22, 2013, 11:03:20 am »

Ahhhh I see!
Thanks for all your help!
Now I wish I would stop getting cobalt sharp weapons in adventure mode :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: (PLEASE UNSTICKY) GEℕESIS Rᶒborℕ [5.43] || Dark Fantasy + Steampunk
« Reply #1517 on: December 23, 2013, 08:37:26 am »

Yes, I requested a personal board way back when there was no mod subforums, so Masterwork, LFR, Putnam's mods, many other cool mods and my mods too were buried under heaps of questions and requests. Now I see why Masterwork needs its own sub-board because it's basically a huge compilation of everything possible with tons of playable races, however I think I would get more feedback in the main subforum. I will ask Toady if he has time to solve it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Uxtalzon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »

I play DF explicitly on Adventure Mode. Tried Fortress and I fail hard, my mental capacity unable to keep track of so many things. That said... this mod is by far my favorite because of the ability to make a home out of a lair in Adventure Mode. :D

Been trying my best to figure out the new features. Learned how to butcher and from that, create stuff from bones and skins. However, I have no idea if let's say Auroch bone armor is better than Wolf bone armor. I mostly make the stuff because it's there and weighs less to dump in the lap of the nearest merchant. Made a few superior quality whips so far, so I'm getting the part of using dead animals down.

Now I ran across some exposed meteorite and learned I can mine it. Figured how to make a pick, mined a nice open chunk into the hillside, and holy crap is this meteorite heavy. Now here's some issues I come across because I'm horribly confused:

- The manual doesn't describe how/what adventurers can do with ore. It says they can smelt weapons and armor... what about ore?
- Half the time my little dude kept moving away from the wall rather than mining it. Thirsty, maybe that was the problem?
- Manual doesn't describe the dimensions of the smelting pit and I just somehow made it after many, many attempts. This "Alt + Move twice" thing doesn't work, but instead I used 5 on numpad twice. Numpad0 to pass the time doesn't work for me, hmm.
- Finally have Adventurer's Forge and Smelting Pit made (3x3 so luckily I just dug a huge open space), but no idea how to work them. TAB works for workshops it says, so I made some workshops and TAB does nothing. Tossed in some copper weapons I bought from a merchant onto the smelting pit to keep trying later on.
- Can't seem to gather spider webs. They're everywhere which makes nice traps for hostile enemies to fall into though (then I run up and try to stomp their face while they're tangled).

I would *love* a step-by-step example and/or requirements on how to build, smelt, and forge stuff in Adventure Mode. As it is the manual is too vague for simpletons such as myself and any requirements. My goal is to finally make armor so that I can finally beat something bigger than an eagle. I can't fight anything bigger than a wolf because 1) no armor shops to be found to upgrade, 2) anything bigger instantly kills me with some blow to the head.

Among those things, I keep running severe lag in towns. Moving one space? Naw, he moves 8 tiles over at a time. If I keep trying to move this way, DF crashes. I usually map out and move somewhere else when this starts happening.

EDIT: Numpad5 seems to pass the time and yes, my little guy moves away from stuff pressing Numpad5 and I watch him head towards the nearest (stagnant) water source and he falls in, nearly drowning. Had a great laugh before I saved him from drowning.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:44:42 pm by Uxtalzon »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »

To bring up workshops menu, you must stand in the middle of workshop and press TAB. Make sure you are not hungry/thirsty.

When you build a workshop, you always appear in a corner of it, so remember it for placement.

The thing with thirst/hunger/sleepiness, is since this hack makes you work as a dwarf mode dwarf, it makes a little AI to kick in which leads to weird behavior when you are thirsty/hungry.

To smelt ore, build not adventure mode "smelting pit", but a real smelter. It has all Fortress mode reactions to smelt bars/make coke from coal.

Regarding towns, it's the same problem which lags worldgen in general: too many new and custom races with custom stuff. This is the reason why I work on a simplified version with just basic races but all other stuff added.

Thank you for the feedback, I am going to bed and sleepy now so sorry if I missed some questions. Feel free to ask or re-ask :D.

P.S. Regarding Numpad0, it should work, but just in case try Numpad Del, and check your keybindings for the "wait" command. Usually it's something like "." (dot, to the left from the right shift across the "/").
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:01:55 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Uxtalzon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: GEℕESIS Rᶒborℕ [5.43] || Dark Fantasy + Steampunk
« Reply #1520 on: December 24, 2013, 08:24:48 pm »

Finally set up in a lair where the previous inhabitant was evicted by a lucky rock throw (broke his spine - this guy was so vicious, he'd counterattack without noticing me and strange my life away) and one swing decapitated him. I mean, freaking lucky. Built plenty of workshops with lots of space in-between. BUT...

Pressing TAB doesn't bring up any workshop menu. Trying to work a wood furnace and no interface shows up. I'll just start mashing keys and see if one works.

In the meantime I'm mining and chopping everything in sight in preparation. Found plenty of meteorite and carried everything I kill into a side room.

Went exploring to the north and every town and hamlet are crazed and attacking each other or undead begin moving door-to-door slowly killing everyone in sight. Only met a handful that would talk to me, everyone else is hostile. Oh well, if they're all dead then they won't mind if I take that table made of platinum, right? Pretty exciting in terms of running in and saving lives. This mod almost feels like a 2D version of Minecraft but more complex.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:52 am »

This is just as 3D as minecraft...

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 25, 2013, 12:21:34 am »

This is just as 3D as minecraft...
I guess he's referring to the 2D view.

Uxtalzon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:05 am »

Good point, maybe I should have phrased it as "Minecraft but with a permanent overhead view". I had a brain injury a while back and it causes sort of a select dyslexia and memory problems, and games like DF (this mod in particular) is really therapeutic. Isn't it awesome, when you're told to play games you love by doctors? :D Sorry in advance if my questions seem so obvious to answer, but now you know why! lol

So I explored in far directions in search of ores and tough random things to fight, and here's what I came across:

- I find some shops where the merchant doesn't own the room of items, so no owner. Free stuff!... but that's too easy, so I avoid taking anything (unless it's food.. FREE FOOD!).
- I watch in horror as undead "Fallen ____" citizens come flooding out of their houses and create an orgy of chaos. None are hostile to me, but it's a free-for-all otherwise. And man they take a long time to die, being undead. Again, I avoid any loot, except toolsets. Very weird feeling when I go to sleep in a house with a dozen undead people, then awaken to a room of utter destruction and I'm completely unharmed. Survivors welcome and greet me as if their missing limbs and broken bones are just everyday occurrences. HA!
- AQUIFERS. AQUIFERS EVERYWHERE. Even in deserts. I DFHack revealed over 50 areas and every one had at least two levels of Damp X material, though there are solid meteorite clusters at the same level that if I'm lucky enough, can dig through those and avoid flooding.
- If I leave my lair (MINE, ALL MINE) for a while and return, several items are now outside scattered on the ground. Maybe building a fortification or structure around the entrance will prevent that? I'll find out myself, it's a learning experience.
- Some town sewers have skeletons and corpses. Awesome. :D

This makes me want to try Fortress mode again. Not yet though, I still have some awesome adventuring to do. Still trying to get the workshop windows to open/work! :P

EDIT: Got it to work! I don't know how. Now to fully use this mod. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:46:36 pm by Uxtalzon »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 26, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »

1) This may happen if the merchant is recently deceased, there may be other reasons too.
2) Yeah, Fallen are... not supposed to live in other towns. Yet they are rarely kept alive as prisoners of war and due to other events during world generation, so when you meet them in adventure mode they suddenly "remember" that they should kill other races and start the massacre.
3) There's an option to turn off aquifiers in the launchers. Otherwise it's the same as in vanilla.
4) Scattering may happen in small lairs. I would suggest to put stuff in containers and cabinets, then it's unlikely that they are scattered. Otherwise think of it as of some baby kobolds playing with your stuff :).
5) Yep, and if you possess resurrection ability which you got one way or another (necromage, some secrets, some diseases) then sewers is a good way to find companions. Just MAKE them from corpses.

Regarding fortress mode, I am working on this at the moment, and I will add parts of it to Genesis, so it should be more interesteting. Give me a week :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Uxtalzon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 29, 2013, 12:21:37 pm »

I made cabinets but it's too limited and adventurers won't build them with any material, so I bought a bunch of chests from town (marble is a nice white color to spot). Unfortunately they're XXseverely wornXX from those dirty kobold paws dragging them outside already. Hide and seek, I don't mind. :P

Began wrangling with adamantine and discovered that it uses one ingot to make plate armor, but if I turn it around and smelt the armor into ingots (smelting pit -> cast metal into ingots) I end up with two adamantine wafers/ingots, basically doubling it to reforge. At least I think that happened - I had four to start with, and had more than ten ingots before I had a set of *finely crafted*.

Noticed farming pictures and was like HOLY CRAP I LOVE FARMING, but there's no Build -> Farmplot anymore. :( Too buggy? Carrying around meat almost cuts my speed down by 200 so I was hoping carrying grapes or something would lighten the load.

Managed to slay baddies down in the sewers under a shrine and they had nice iron items which I smelted down into ingots... but there's no way to make steel. I like the idea of "coarse iron" from ore and not making it possible to convert that into steel (meaning I can start a new game and in ten minutes start making steel... bit unbalanced), but merchants only sell copper and cobalt at best while the hard "PREPARE TO DIE" guys can drop iron stuff, so it would make sense to make steel from smelted pure iron. But basically as it is, I can make coarse iron armor easily, and next easiest is adamantine if I'm lucky enough to strike a vein.

Just a few things other than steel I can't create - gauntlets (plate) nor smelt them, can forge boots but not smelt either. I'm a swordsman and can't make a sword :( switched to axes since I can make those. Can't make waterskins either or I haven't figured it out, since merchants don't sell those too. I'll try looking for metalsmith shops and see if they sell "steel XXX" furniture, and hope it's expensive so that can be a workaround.

Because of the relative ease of making coarse iron armor and butchered items, I have a ton of coins... so many that I started using them to throw as weapons.

Anyway, by far my favorite aspect is entering a town for the first time and seeing Fallen attacking everyone, triggering the hero inside me to save people house by house. I think that's awesome! That will keep me busy for a long time, plus the loot is nice. Can't wait to try your other mods.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 29, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »

Any chance of a Linux version, Deon?

If I download the windows version and overwrite the raws will it work?

Edit:

Okay, I had to cross-compile 32bit DFHack on my 64bit distro and it took a full day's work of editing makefiles and installing dependencies. But I did it, finally!
But then I replaced the raws with yours and now tiles are flashing like mad! I'm not sure what's the cause of this and I certainly didn't see this one coming.. any idea what's causing this?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:56:09 pm by voodooattack »
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

ChildofSolitude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:28 pm »

Hi.

I just downloaded your mod a few days ago, as I was getting bored with adventure mode( And it's pretty much all I play on dwarf fortress anyways.) and I am extremely pleased.

I have but a few questions.

1. What is the last race, the one that only seems to be an outsider? It starts with a V, and it has some letters I can't make out.

2. Do serpentfolk have any venom? I've bitten people before, and I never got a prompt saying they got poisoned, so i just imagined they didn't. Was I doing it wrong?

3. A friend of mine was playing as a Dwarven Clockwork demigod and NEVER, EVER died. He fist fought a bunch of bogeymen and made it out with very little, wound-wise. He's currently searching for titans to kill, and he's probably going to survive that, too.

4. Do you plan on adding another race? Because, if you do, I think it should be some sort of insectoid, preferably that can fire web as some sort of special attack. That would be incredibly hard, I imagine, so it's just a suggestion. The mod is great without it.

Thanks.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 30, 2013, 12:02:21 am »

Are there any new flux stones in this mod? I've gotten desperate for flux and I have not seen any of the vanilla versions at all(even scouring the map with DFHack reveal). Also, is there a good wiki or FAQ that details the new material deposits and what they are good for?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: December 30, 2013, 12:39:45 am »

Any chance of a Linux version, Deon?

If I download the windows version and overwrite the raws will it work?

Edit:

Okay, I had to cross-compile 32bit DFHack on my 64bit distro and it took a full day's work of editing makefiles and installing dependencies. But I did it, finally!
But then I replaced the raws with yours and now tiles are flashing like mad! I'm not sure what's the cause of this and I certainly didn't see this one coming.. any idea what's causing this?
Make sure you REMOVE vanilla raws before pasting mine! Also please share DFHack you compiled :D.

Hi.

I just downloaded your mod a few days ago, as I was getting bored with adventure mode( And it's pretty much all I play on dwarf fortress anyways.) and I am extremely pleased.

I have but a few questions.

1. What is the last race, the one that only seems to be an outsider? It starts with a V, and it has some letters I can't make out.

2. Do serpentfolk have any venom? I've bitten people before, and I never got a prompt saying they got poisoned, so i just imagined they didn't. Was I doing it wrong?

3. A friend of mine was playing as a Dwarven Clockwork demigod and NEVER, EVER died. He fist fought a bunch of bogeymen and made it out with very little, wound-wise. He's currently searching for titans to kill, and he's probably going to survive that, too.

4. Do you plan on adding another race? Because, if you do, I think it should be some sort of insectoid, preferably that can fire web as some sort of special attack. That would be incredibly hard, I imagine, so it's just a suggestion. The mod is great without it.

Thanks.
1) Void dwellers? They are the ultimate enemy race in fortress mode. Their description is in the first post.
2) Thet do get paralyzing venom, however you need to see "the serpentfolk venom has been injected" or something similar.
3) Well, he's made of metal. That helps.
4) I plan to rework void dwellers to be more insectoid and zerg-like if you wish. Webs are a terrible idea for a reason: one webber can kill whole squad of dwarves. Now imagine if all of invaders are webbers :D. I could make a rare caste though. Currently they are a mix of slender men and other terrible monstrosities from other planes.

Are there any new flux stones in this mod? I've gotten desperate for flux and I have not seen any of the vanilla versions at all(even scouring the map with DFHack reveal). Also, is there a good wiki or FAQ that details the new material deposits and what they are good for?
The flux is the same as in vanilla with some additions. However if you have trouble finding it, you can make flux from bones and stone dust (boulders) in Calcinator.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 108