Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Toying around with organization  (Read 41797 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Toying around with organization
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »

(i think the stickying was an unintentional consequence of the topic being stickied on his own board and keeping its status when moved, an irreversible one at that)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »

(i think the stickying was an unintentional consequence of the topic being stickied on his own board and keeping its status when moved, an irreversible one at that)

It doesn't change the fact that he can do it.  Who cares what his motives are?  No one on these forums except for you, Meph, and Deon can move their own threads around.  Why should you have that power and not anyone else?  Why should you have that power AT ALL?

This is what happens when you give power to the last people who should ever have it - the people who ask for it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:04:16 pm by narhiril »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

Everyone can move their own threads around. It's under modify post, under "attachments and other options".

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »

Everyone can move their own threads around. It's under modify post, under "attachments and other options".

No, actually, we can't.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

No, actually, we can't.
Yeah, we can, we just can't sticky or delete them.
We can move them and lock them, though.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:55 pm »

No, actually, we can't.
Yeah, we can, we just can't sticky or delete them.
We can move them and lock them, though.

Nowhere do I see anything remotely resembling "move."

And even if I did, it doesn't change the fact that you've both completely sidestepped addressing the point.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2013, 04:12:05 pm »

It's not under attachments, you scroll down to the very bottom of the page, on the left.
You don't do it while posting, you just do it while looking at the page.
The Derail Thread

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »

It's not under attachments, you scroll down to the very bottom of the page, on the left.

So I can move my posts.  Fine, I stand corrected.  I still can't sticky my own posts.  Deon can.  Meph can.  Putnam can.  Why should they be able to?

How is giving someone power and trusting them not to use it better than just not giving them that power in the first place?  This entire debate would have never happened if the "requests" for personal boards had just been denied - as I maintain they should have been.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:25:09 pm by narhiril »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

How is giving someone power and trusting them not to use it better than just not giving them that power in the first place?
Because it gives Toady One less things to deal with when he already has a huge amount of stuff he has to do on a daily basis just to keep the place sane and safe.
He trusts them to use their powers over their own domains responsibly, and in my opinion, with good precedent.
How was he to know that his thread would still remain stickied?
He couldn't, the forum should remove that when it's moved, but that's a fault of the forum features itself, and not something that Toady can control.

I can guarantee you that once it's fixed, it won't happen again.

And if you really wanted to fly in the face of Toady, you could make a thread and move it over to Announcements, even though you can't make threads there normally.
Plenty of trolls and spambots have done it and been banned for it. So you do have some power over what you think you don't.
The Derail Thread

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »

Toady wouldn't have to "deal with" anything if we just had regular sub-boards and none of this "moderator of your own personal board" crap.

From what it sounds like, the whole reason Deon moved it to the mod releases forum at all was because no one was giving him feedback in his own sub-board.  Isn't that in and of itself a testament to the failure of personal sub-boards?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »

So I can move my posts.  Fine, I stand corrected.  I still can't sticky my own posts.  Deon can.  Meph can.  Putnam can.  Why should they be able to?

How is giving someone power and trusting them not to use it better than just not giving them that power in the first place?  This entire debate would have never happened if the "requests" for personal boards had just been denied - as I maintain they should have been.

Actually, I can't, as far as I can tell. Not sure why Deon's are.

Isn't that in and of itself a testament to the failure of personal sub-boards?

yeah it kind of is

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 04:34:18 am »

Only Toady can sticky posts. Deon simply askes for it to be stickied in his board, as did I. The sticky carried over after he moved it, but deon didnt even notice it, until I posted about this behaviour in his thread. I dont know if you have seen the post or not.

I too found it odd that ha moved it to releases giving the reason that it was not getting much attention. I think it wasnt because of his board, but because of two reasons: its a total conversion, which is something not everyone likes; and because MDF has become something akin to a black hole when it comes to the attention of the causal mod-user.

It appaers as if many people say: I want to try mods, start MDF, try it, either like it and stay; or dislike it and move back to vanilla DF. This was never my attention and I have no idea how to change that behaviour. All I can say is that I wouldnt blame the board structure. I agree that the deon/putnam boards are ... not that useful (?) Putnam, you yourself said it about your board and moved thongs into the utility sectiob, because it seemed more fitting; and deon did something alike now with the LotR mod. I feel really bad about this, but if you look at the amount of topics in the boards, its still only your release threads.

I would like to propose a new mod list, one thread that gives a lot of info about them, with screenshots and everything. People wont get interested in Lfr or EA, if they dont know about it. MDF itself is only so popular because of reddit and fb and because players and stories raise the interest in non-players. Putnam started with a good idea and did mod-introfuctions on reddit, and I think a Lfr succession fort would show that it exists outside of the modding forum.

If this ends with theclosure of the sub-boards (and I really like the system of releases and utilities etc), all I can do is outsource and make my own website/forum, because there is no way I can compress all things MDF into one thread.

I'm sorry that this touches you so much, I remember your issues with the changes when it started.

PS: all funny typing is because of the ebookreader I type on.
PPS: maybe a minor/major mods board, with one sticky thread each, which lists all of them with more info than Prophets list. (?)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:48:22 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:06 pm »

Yeah, my board became obsolete with the Mod Releases subforum. Which was instituted at the same time. At my suggestion.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I considered that a better alternative...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 06:07:52 pm »

Personally I think the personal boards are bad for the very modders they where created for, for example I would have never hear about Deon's Essential DF mod if he hadn't moved it to to main mods board (as I never take the time to look in the personal boards, 5 threads total, really worth my time)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2013, 08:30:57 am »

Yes, I requested a personal board way back when there was no mod subforums, so Masterwork, LFR, Putnam's mods, many other cool mods and my mods too were buried under heaps of questions and requests. Now I see why Masterwork needs its own sub-board because it's basically a huge compilation of everything possible with tons of playable races, however I think I would get more feedback in the main subforum. I will ask Toady if he has time to solve it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7