Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089354 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2655 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:33 am »

As a nearly dedicated Gal pilot and PS1 vet, I don't have a huge problem with the way  Gals are at the moment, but I might be biased. I do think the gal spawn is a bit overpowered and can lead to some situations where it's nearly impossible to kill a gal that's got a dedicated stream of players coming out and I would prefer doing hot drops rather than just a quick landing, shields up and turn into a stationary turret while other people spawn from me. I think what they're doing could work well though. Sunderer turns into an AMS, works more like that. Galaxy SOMETIMES can work as a spawner, but I honestly feel that should have a decent cooldown on it for each soldier. I.E. spawn at a galaxy, can't spawn at that same galaxy for a few minutes. Give us bus drivers a chance to do more actual driving between the spawn points and the enemy.  I forsee, hopefully, a group of 3+ sunderers with AA guns being a mobile field base, just behind a line of tanks protecting them. They form a circle where galaxies can land and get the full repair/(rearm?) effect from all three, load up the spawns from them, and take off again, all within 15 seconds or so if done right. In reality, it'll probably just be as big a cluster-*@(# as it's always been, but I would be happy if the rare organized group could pull something like that off.

Except for the HA LMG, most weapons are pretty darn good at ranges well beyond 60 meters... you just have to turn it off of full auto fire. I can be almost as accurate with a carbine and a scope on single shot as I can be with a TR sniper rifle. The medic's assault rifle is even better, but I rarely use it, so I don't have much experience to go by there. The LMG really is just supression fire. spray and pray you hit. You do get plenty of ammo to do that with though, and short bursts of fire can be decently accurate if you're careful and aim.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:57 am »

Well, I tried a small attack run last night, but my graphical drag was so great that I'd have more luck passing commands through IRC and letting some bot control my player.  System requirements are simply too great for my computer.  At best I could be a Galaxy pilot for hot drops, wherein I fly myself directly into the enemy tower and let the soldiers jump out without me saying so.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2657 on: September 12, 2012, 11:04:46 am »

Except for the HA LMG, most weapons are pretty darn good at ranges well beyond 60 meters... you just have to turn it off of full auto fire

How do you switch fire modes in this game?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:24 am »

I Belive it's B (see what I did there?).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:33 am »

You misspelled Believe? :V

But yeah definitely B. Also, even though TR are evil and you should feel bad for playing them instead of being on NC EAST 2 with us, if you find yourself in a Prowler tank you should totally press B. It locks you down into turret mode where you fire like three times as fast, it's pretty badass.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:33 pm »

No, the cloak is definitely made for movement... Yeah, a sharp eyed soldier can pick out a moving cloak, but with the right background and a corner or two, they'll lose it just as quickly.

When you're still, against a broken background, in some bushes, or hidden in some cover, you're as close to invisible as you need to be.

Yeah but you see... I once did that against competent players and those strategies became completely useless.

The effectiveness of cloak decreases as the competence of players increase... and that competency rate is only going to increase.

It was a lot like the Spy in the original Team Fortress in that eventually... unless you had the speed hack... people eventually learned to spot spies simply by running speed. making that technique a lot less effective.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

Y'know, I thought being a spy as a slower class actually slowed you down to their speed? The only class where that didn't work is the Scout. You weren't disguising as a scout were you? Also I highly recommend you change weapons. Most people don't know spies can do that and it fools them every time.

Oh yeah, and infiltrator stealth is WAY weaker than PS1. It's the one class I really just don't bother playing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »

Y'know, I thought being a spy as a slower class actually slowed you down to their speed? The only class where that didn't work is the Scout. You weren't disguising as a scout were you? Also I highly recommend you change weapons. Most people don't know spies can do that and it fools them every time.

Oh yeah, and infiltrator stealth is WAY weaker than PS1. It's the one class I really just don't bother playing.

In the second game the Spy slowed it down for you. First however, unless they did a update much much later, didn't.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:01 pm »

If you take a look in the cert screen it looks like you'll get a lot of options to buff the stealth of the Infiltrator.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: September 12, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

Would buying into beta be worth it?
If so, what server is the most B12-populated?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 12, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »

Would buying into beta be worth it?
If so, what server is the most B12-populated?

Well, if you planned on buying station cash, it's essentially buying 4000 points of station cash at normal value, get beta free. It's very Beta still, so hard to make that judgment call.
If you do, however, we're largely focused on East 2, NC.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: September 12, 2012, 12:50:03 pm »

Yeah, I've been running an NC outfit on East 2. All of the East servers have been having problems for the last week ago, but apparently it was confirmed to be a hardware issue so imagine they'll fix it shortly. Aside from that I should say, I haven't had much in the way of lag problems at all even on, say, the EU servers and I'm in western Montana.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: September 12, 2012, 01:23:15 pm »

Ah, more (oldish) news. Per Higby's tweet yesterday, another warpgate rotation is coming with the patch this week. TR are heading to the seabed.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: September 12, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »

Postin' this here key I got if anyone wants it.

MRTR-DN9F-237E-47AJ-22ZG

Came in the email - "Thank You for Joining Alpha Squad - A Bonus for Signing Up"

So it seems that you get more for buying Alpha Squad than was stated...
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: September 12, 2012, 02:45:49 pm »

Postin' this here key I got if anyone wants it.

MRTR-DN9F-237E-47AJ-22ZG

Came in the email - "Thank You for Joining Alpha Squad - A Bonus for Signing Up"

So it seems that you get more for buying Alpha Squad than was stated...

Thanks for that, used it as a gift for my brother, thanks for making his birthday a bit more special ;)
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 826