Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089149 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2775 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:01 am »

Bah, this move thing is cramping my PS2 time! Can't wait to get back in, I'm liking the little tweaks I've noticed while dropping in (the new UI upgrades are subtle, yet look a lot better). Haven't noticed much difference on the guns, but again, haven't been playing too much. Also, love the NC spawn area now, I'm hoping once we get more continents online we'll see more of each continent as each faction.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2776 on: September 17, 2012, 09:14:23 am »

-snip-
I know what you mean. I've ended up joining an outfit on EU1 where we've managed to field three full squads a few times now. Nothing quite like when a group is working well together.

Still died twice as many times as I've killed. It's the damn scythes and magriders that are killing me the most.

Just out of curiosity is anyone else finding that firing from the hip with the HA rifle works best unless at long range?

Just checked my K/D, didn't realize it was any good. Surprisingly, I've got 1.2 - despite having numerous deaths from "suicide" (falling through the ground, mostly) and team killing. Have a "gold medal" for the heavy weapon SAW, haha. I'm completely suicidal when I play as infantry too - dashing into tank fire to pop off a rocket at it, running through the open being pelted with rifle fire to resurrect a guy across the way behind some boxes, rushing at a MAX solo to kill it instead of keeping my distance (which tends to work about 50/50, the cycler maxes especially are really brutal), etc.

I'm pretty lucky about staying alive as infantry, though - I often get streaks of 3-4+ before dying when I'm just fighting vs other infantry, even when I'm being completely crazy and just rushing in guns blazing. I tend to get pretty lucky in 1vMultiple situations too. Like just happening to run up behind 4 guys crouched and firing on some NC guys trying to come the opposite direction. Or seeing a group move in to take a capture point and being able to step aside and grenade most of them as they bunch up on the point and shoot the rest dead in the ensuing smoke as they fire in the wrong directions. Or sitting beside an enemy galaxy popping one enemy after another as they spawn and rush in the opposite direction and seem to completely ignore me, even when I'm killing all the engineers and preventing them from repairing.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 17, 2012, 11:01:04 am »

By the way, anyone here some of the awesome new features to come to the Sunderer? My favourite two are it being a spawn point (and the Galaxy spawn getting nerfed majorly) and the Shield breach cert, letting it Ram through enemey gate sheilds (I think I heard they could do this in PS1). I'm probably going to Cert up in the Sunderrer now, 'cause it sounds awesome.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:58 am »

I'm pretty lucky about staying alive as infantry, though - I often get streaks of 3-4+ before dying when I'm just fighting vs other infantry, even when I'm being completely crazy and just rushing in guns blazing. I tend to get pretty lucky in 1vMultiple situations too. Like just happening to run up behind 4 guys crouched and firing on some NC guys trying to come the opposite direction. Or seeing a group move in to take a capture point and being able to step aside and grenade most of them as they bunch up on the point and shoot the rest dead in the ensuing smoke as they fire in the wrong directions. Or sitting beside an enemy galaxy popping one enemy after another as they spawn and rush in the opposite direction and seem to completely ignore me, even when I'm killing all the engineers and preventing them from repairing.
I have the same experience, especially in larger engagements. People on both sides tend to hunker down behind cover and exchange fire at a fairly long range, so I think they don't expect anyone to rush in like that and it takes them a while to realize someone's mowing them down from close by. Especially if you play light assault and jet up to a roof or other such elevated vantage point.

By the way, anyone here some of the awesome new features to come to the Sunderer? My favourite two are it being a spawn point (and the Galaxy spawn getting nerfed majorly) and the Shield breach cert, letting it Ram through enemey gate sheilds (I think I heard they could do this in PS1). I'm probably going to Cert up in the Sunderrer now, 'cause it sounds awesome.
Oh that does sound awesome. Unfortunately today's patch broke the game for me, it won't even start. Crashes every time.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:35 am »

I have the same experience, especially in larger engagements. People on both sides tend to hunker down behind cover and exchange fire at a fairly long range, so I think they don't expect anyone to rush in like that and it takes them a while to realize someone's mowing them down from close by. Especially if you play light assault and jet up to a roof or other such elevated vantage point.

Oh that does sound awesome. Unfortunately today's patch broke the game for me, it won't even start. Crashes every time.

If it's doing the thing where it goes through the motions and just fails to launch, add both the launcher and the main exe to your AVs exception list. Whatever they did is tripping up AV software this patch.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 17, 2012, 01:28:06 pm »

If it's doing the thing where it goes through the motions and just fails to launch, add both the launcher and the main exe to your AVs exception list. Whatever they did is tripping up AV software this patch.

No, it crashes. The thing is that it has this weird cycle. I click the play button and it crashes, but the launcher stays open. I click it again and the same thing happens. I click it the third time, the launcher closes, and after a few seconds it crashes. It's the same every time.
Messing with my AV software does nothing.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »

Damn then. Also even with fiddling with the AV settings, it won't work when launched through Steam, which is a shame because I still haven't gotten around to having a 2nd monitor, and like to use the ingame overlay for quickly looking things up without having to alt-tab. Not to mention the Steam Messenger.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:26 pm »

By the by, on the topic of Cert gain. I have to say, not broken about offline cert gain leaving (and maybe being a pay-for service). Why you ask? Because I haven't found anything that I couldn't survive without as a noob. There's cool stuff, but the basic grunt stuff is free. Hell, you can get jet-packs, super sheilds, deployable turrets, ammo packs, heal/res guns. Sure, stuff buffs you a bit, but if I'm good, I can take out someone with all the Certs.
don't think what Cert you really like, but think what Cert you really, absolutly need, that you can't get without actually playing the game (btw, they've said they're still tweaking cert gain time in game too, so there's that).
I don't need constant new toys, I played hours and hours of Medal of Honour: AA as a kid, with it's all of 6 weapon choices.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

Just out of curiosity is anyone else finding that firing from the hip with the HA rifle works best unless at long range?
Definitely. If you're close enough to hit from the hip with HA, always do it since mag size is a non-issue. If you got to sights/scope, you spent a split second and also lose your dancing ability.

...yes, I'm talking about dancing like it's 1999.
Well my K:D has improved since I started and I've seen the gap between someone seeing me enter a room and them opening fire which I assume is them using the sights.

Just checked my K/D, didn't realize it was any good. Surprisingly, I've got 1.2 - despite having numerous deaths from "suicide" (falling through the ground, mostly) and team killing. Have a "gold medal" for the heavy weapon SAW, haha. I'm completely suicidal when I play as infantry too - dashing into tank fire to pop off a rocket at it, running through the open being pelted with rifle fire to resurrect a guy across the way behind some boxes, rushing at a MAX solo to kill it instead of keeping my distance (which tends to work about 50/50, the cycler maxes especially are really brutal), etc.
I guess this is a result of me playing almost nothing but KAG for a long time now. Luckily the FPS rust is coming off nicely.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

I've been playing the beta for a couple of days now, and I have to say, for the amount of complaining, this is more balanced than ALOT of games already, atleast thats been my experience playing as infantry and occasional liberator/mosquito pilot. (fuck vanu) On the topic if offline cert it seems like a good thing that cert points are coming in slower now, I really think that it forces you to think about your upgrades. However I DO think that flying should atleast get a tutorial, I wasted probally 1000+ green point things getting the hang of it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »

Quote from: Smed
After reading the thread about offline cert gain we're going to leave it in for free players and up the amount to 50% more for members.

*bouts of celebratory gunfire*

Well my K:D has improved since I started and I've seen the gap between someone seeing me enter a room and them opening fire which I assume is them using the sights.

Possibly. It could also be due to the fact that characters are pretty damn hard to see in this game, at least for me, and even harder to identify. It often takes me a second to process whether I'm looking at a friendly or not. That's nothing to say of the damn Vanu. They have purple jumpsuits and nights in this game tint the ambient light purple as well, so even seeing the bastards at night is hard as fuck. I died several times because a Vanu guy crouched in the corner of a room blended in so perfectly that I never saw him even though he was right in front of me.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 17, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

Bah, came here to report the Cert thing and was beaten to it. Oh well. I'm enjoying how receptive they are to criticism and feedback actually.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »

No, it crashes. The thing is that it has this weird cycle. I click the play button and it crashes, but the launcher stays open. I click it again and the same thing happens. I click it the third time, the launcher closes, and after a few seconds it crashes. It's the same every time.
Messing with my AV software does nothing.
Same here :( Hope they fix that soon, or I'd actually be forced to do something meaningful with my life.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »

Downloading... would like to be invited to an outfit if I can... Garanis will be my ingame name.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »

It's looking like you have to be online to recieve invites to the outfit. Make sure to post when you'll be online so someone can swing by.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 826